Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2013, 00:34   #31

Re: Need some advice please?

Hi David,

I've found a boat that I'm going to view at some point this week. I just wanted to ask you what you thought. I've trolled through the listings of seaworthy small craft and can't see the boat listed. It doesn't have a deep long keel like the others and although I've searched can't seem to find enough information on the design myself. Any pointers would be great. She's based in Portsmouth as opposed to Portugal. Thanks

Sabre 27 Owners Association | Owners' Photographs

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Also, if not done so already, have a look at the Cruising Equipment list in my sig below - the collected wisdom of CF! Work out what you want onboard and that may help dictate the size of boat as well as help decide what you need to buy with the boat (do some totting up of the ballpark numbers!)......also remember that Solar Panels are big - and often a struggle to fit on decks of any size, at least in places that are out of the way!
Chris84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 06:38   #32

Boat: Sunbeam, 37, Ziamar

Nice looking boat. I'm no expert but overall the Sabre 27 looks pretty strong. But I hope that there are some folks with more knowledge.

Re. Radios. I couldn't believe that the one that you referenced was right because the price is so low. On checking, that is what we'd call CB Radio in the US. You'd need a marine SSB and if you are really into it and want to get a Ham license that might add some utility. I am still thinking of upgrading mine in a year or so so did some checking around. A new marine SSB will run about $2000 and the modem for doing email and grib files would cost about $1500. I'd really think that the radio is worth it but the modem might not be, for your use. Chris Parker has some valuable advice here: Marine Weather Center - Bahamas & Caribbean Marine Weather Services and this is a really great little intro to SSB installation and use http://www.freewebs.com/seawrite/lusradiopage.htm I haven't looked at the rest of their blog but if it's as good as the discussion of SSB it'll be useful.

Another thing that you'll almost surely want is some kind of autopilot. I used mine a lot on crossings and long sails. Don't know anything about tiller pilots except that they exist and seem to work well.

I agree with David that solar panels are big. I have mine on an arch behind the wheel but if I had to do it again I think I'd figure out a good mounting over my bimini. You'll be surprised at how things like electronics, radios, etc suck up electrons.

Bill
Old 18-02-2013, 09:31   #33
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris84 View Post
Hi David,

I've found a boat that I'm going to view at some point this week. I just wanted to ask you what you thought. I've trolled through the listings of seaworthy small craft and can't see the boat listed. It doesn't have a deep long keel like the others and although I've searched can't seem to find enough information on the design myself. Any pointers would be great. She's based in Portsmouth as opposed to Portugal. Thanks

Sabre 27 Owners Association | Owners' Photographs
I have no personal (hands on) knowledge, the following pretty much sums up what I recall the boats were about:-

Sabre 27 archive details - Yachtsnet Ltd. online UK yacht brokers - yacht brokerage and boat sales

A decent boat (and quite beamy for it's time) - some yard built, some at home (likely a mix of results!) but the condition is the big factor....none of them are spring chickens . I see this one is priced somewhat below the average - "need for some minor cosmetic attention" could be true, could also be the tip of the iceberg ....and turn out that a £12k version was in fact the cheaper one......

.......but sounds like worth a look (although for your voyage I would favour a few more feet).

I am guessing that you have already discovered YBW.com (the UK boat forum) - if not, worth a look (as she is a UK boat) to see if you can lay hands on any current owners (and ideally former - they tend to be more honest!)........don't say I sent you, am on my 4th(? ) lifetime ban .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 09:43   #34

Thanks Bill. I asked the current owner how she was offshore and he had no idea she has only ever seen coastal passages and inland waterways. He has heard of them going across the Biscay and to the Azores and down to the Med which is good to hear.

The Autopilot is a Raytheon ST 1000+. Its a tiller pilot which from the sounds of it is no where near as good as the ST2000+ so I may have to see if I can get that replaced. I'll also need to look at getting new storm sails too. I'll get a chance next week to check the rigging and give the boat a once over. There seems to be work to do but so would any boat with the passage I have planned haha.

The SSB is a great idea. I think it'll be out of my price range this time. I think for this trip I'll have to use the Satellite phone as a modem and download Grib files that way. I remember last time opening an email at sea that had a picture attachment that cost me £40 haha. I really would like to avoid that happening again.

Thanks
Old 18-02-2013, 10:29   #35

That sounds harsh fourth ban really??. I'll have a look over there and see. I would love the extra few feet but my budget at the moment won't allow it and a couple more feet price jumps up quite quickly. It's only for a year. To buy a 30' would mean holding off leaving for another 18 months and I don't know if I could handle that. I just need some adventure. I will see what needs doing on the boat and try and weigh up the costs next tuesday. It's a good point you make. Why are other models more money? Does the boat need a lot of work? What needs doing? etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
they tend to be more honest!)........don't say I sent you, am on my 4th(? ) lifetime ban .