Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2011, 18:34   #1

Boat: 1986 35' Senator Sundeck - Skinny Dippin'
Need Help with BVIs or Bahamas

Hi All!! I am looking to plan a land based vacation to the BVI's or Out Islands in the Bahamas. We are looking for the best little hotel nearest to the biggest cruiser locales. We are trawler owners and our cruising is still close to home to due these pesky jobs. But we want to go check out a great island location that we'll see once we get to go. Perhaps even shop for a local charter for the next time around.

We're still a few years from taking our own boat that far from home. But that doesn't mean we want to wait!!

Thanks to everyone in advance for the ideas!!
Bess
M/V Skinny Dippin'

**looking for small quaint, walking distance to beaches, bars, restaurants. Pool is nice, not necessary if on a beach. Not looking for big resort atmosphere. Thinking of a week this winter...yes I know I'm crazy late to think of this now.
BessLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 19:23   #2

Boat: Oyster Mariner 35
Re: Need help with BVI's or Bahamas

Watercolor cottages in the Abacos. The owners Patti and Mark are the best. Very cruiser friendly. Not a resort, just some adorable little cottages in a great location. They also charter out boats (I think they may even have a trawler available) if your want to spend some time exploring the waters. 321-220-8796 watercolourscottages.com

Have fun
Deborah
Old 16-09-2011, 20:22   #3

Boat: csy 37
Re: Need help with BVI's or Bahamas

i'll second kindle on the abacos.

although i like green turtle cay best, in your case i would look at hopetown on elbow cay or great guana cay. also nearby is man o war cay, treasure cay, and marsh harbor. it's a beautiful cruising ground with everything you're looking for - quaint villages, lots of cruising boats, incredible beaches, the occasional pool, restaraunts, and most important of all, not a big resort atmosphere. if you don't bring your own boat you can rent one or you can travel between islands on the local ferries.

google on 'abacos' and you'll get a wealth of information. also check out www.abacoforum.com. lots of info there.

and the best part is you will gain some good firsthand knowledge when you bring your trawler there in a few years.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 05:49   #4

Re: Need Help with BVIs or Bahamas

Thanks Ya'll! This is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for!!
Old 17-09-2011, 06:15   #5

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby

You mentioned "out Islands." I wouldn't consider anything in the Abacos as out islands.

Think about Long Island Breeze in Salt Pond, Long Island. Hawks Nest on Cat Island another nice resort. More cruisers in Long Island.

Something a little closer is Staniel Cay Yacht Club on Staniel Cay. Lots of cruisers coming and going.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 06:56   #6

Boat: Leopard 45, 45 feet, Jet Stream
Send a message via Skype™ to Tim Schaaf

In the BVI's your best bet is probably the Bitter End Yacht Club. Yes, it is a resort, but not that resortish, a great family place, lots of boats and activities, and excursions to good places.

There are a few guest houses on Jost Van Dyke, but you won't get nearly the experience.
Tim Schaaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 07:11   #7

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

In my humble opinion, there isn't much to see on the islands of the BVI. They are a great boating destination but limited in things to see and do once you get away from the water.

I suggest you charter my friends boat - which may be similar to your own - BVI Based Heritage 36 motoryacht available for charter

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 10:49   #8

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I'll add a vote for the Abacos meeting that bill and it's much closer to the U.S.

I would however, consider the time of year. Many winter cold fonts still have a lot of steam when hitting the Abacos. The water can also be cool for swimming in the winter.

Treasure Cay is another place I've known of boaters to keep landed family members.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 06:36   #9

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

You will not find a better boat looking spot or more beautiful harbour than Hope Town, Abaco, Bahamas! Rent a house or stay at the Abaco Lodge
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 07:20   #10

Boat: Gulfstar 50

You could always look for a charter boat if you want the cruiser feel.
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 14:48   #11

Boat: 2000 Navigator 4200 Classic-Skinny Dippin'

We aren't looking to charter this trip, y'all. However, we might want to be in a location where we can SHOP for a charter for next year. Nor do we really give much of a crap about off-resort activities. We want to be near boaters. We want to sit and talk to cruisers about what they are going to do next and where. A hotel close to either a group of marinas separated by walking or bicycle would be ideal, however, a large anchorage with a small hotel would be great too.

One more note... "Family-friendly" is NOT what we are into. We don't have kids and really don't enjoy being surrounded by them. So a more adult oriented place would be great. A nice secluded place where the beach is the focus and not a nearby water park or tourist traps :-)

Thanks!
Tom-
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 05:35   #12

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

All the more Hope Town. Rent a skiff and you can cruise through dozens of anchorages on several different islands, with water front bars overlooking the harbours, all accessable by your rental boat.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 08:19   #13

Boat: Pacific Mariner 65

I'd recommend you head down to Georgetown, Great Exuma, Bahamas. There is a HUGE group of cruisers that hangs out there every year. We spent time there last winter on our catamaran and at one point there were over 250 cruisers anchored up and down. There are activities every day, from seminars to volleyball to yoga, over by the Chat 'n Chill. You won't find a larger group of cruisers in one location, all willing to discuss their adventures and make recommendations on where to go and what to see and do.
rockerdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 08:52   #14

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

If you're looking to mix with cruisers I would second the Georgetown area. Take a look at the St. Francis resort on stocking Island. That will put you right in the middle of a huge number of cruisers. Stocking Island is immediately across Elizabeth harbor from Georgetown. The abacos are not very "out Island" and because of the temperature the cruising season there is more like early spring than winter. Most cruisers I know head up there in April and May. It stays much warmer in the southern Exumas in the middle of winter. While there are only a few cruisers I might also suggest the Cape Santa Maria resort on Long Island. It's one of the few places that the brochure pictures actually reflect reality. Another Island you might consider is Harbor Island. It is one of the more pricey Islands, but it has lots of resturants and you can walk to pretty much any of them. It's a bit north for the dead of winter, but not bad in March. The sand on the beach there really is pink. It is clearly a more developed area appealing to a more upscale clientel than is Georgetown or any of the other Exuma Islands.
Captain Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 17:05   #15

Thanks again Everyone!! Next question is, what is the best time to go? Originally we were thinking over the holidays. I know it's the most expensive time, but neither of us have to work that week. BUT, even if we wanted to pay highest of high dollar, everything is already sold out. So....When is best? Jan Feb or March?

Tags
Bahamas, bahamas