Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2019, 14:46   #1

Boat: Lagoon 400 S2
Need advice on VERY short charter out of Nassau

We will be taking a very short charter out of Palm Cay Marina (south of Nassau) in the Bahamas (1 night at dock, 3 nights away from dock) in May to try out a model of boat we are considering buying (41ft cat). We are familiar with cruising the BVI and did several islands in French Polynesia last year, but the Bahamas are new to us. Would welcome suggestions on places to stop along the way during our short trip. Happy to be in a different anchorage each night. Good snorkeling a plus. Don't need to have restaurants every night as we can eat on the boat. Can't be too far from the marina the night before as we turn in the boat at 9:00am. I'd welcome your suggested itineraries. Cheers!
JESSWILLMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 09:50   #2

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33
Re: Need advice on VERY short charter out of Nassau

Have you even looked at a chart at this point? I say that because if you have looked at a chart, it's pretty easy to determine what your options are, which is not much with a time window that tight.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 10:28   #3

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 469

I'm in process of moving my boat to a long-term slip in Palm Cay and I picked that place because it's a really nice marina plus only about 60 miles from good places to sail to for visiting, so close enough to be back if you have a hard schedule. I've been researching places to take the family for 4 days at a pop.

To the south, lots of folks recommend Warderick Wells nature park. Apparently it's really beautiful and they have a nice mooring field. It's like $30 per day to moor so cheap. A little further south, you have Pig Beach which some say is overrated, also next door is Staniel Cay and the Thunderball grotto.

To the north, you can make for Marsh Harbor which has a lot going on, or go a little further north to Green Turtle Cay. Of course, those are just pockets of civilization, you can find anywhere along the route to stop for a day or whatever.

I'm still researching solid snorkeling spots where the kids can see lots of colorful fish, turtles, etc.
Rdubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 10:30   #4

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 469

Also, recommend buying the hardcopy of the Explorer chartbooks. They cost like $60, but go over everything and provide much better detail and recency than many chartplotters have loaded.
Rdubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 10:56   #5

Thank you, RDUBS, for your useful comments! Happy sailing...
Old 25-02-2019, 10:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post
Have you even looked at a chart at this point? I say that because if you have looked at a chart, it's pretty easy to determine what your options are, which is not much with a time window that tight.
You mean you're supposed to use CHARTS when sailing?

Yes, I am aware that there are limitations. I was seeking specific (and friendly) advice from those who have gone before me, as I always do when chartering.

Fair winds...
Old 25-02-2019, 11:13   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

With only 3 nights, you could go to West Bay &/or Lyford Cay, or to the East to Rose Island, and Athol Island.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 12:06   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdubs View Post
I'm in process of moving my boat to a long-term slip in Palm Cay and I picked that place because it's a really nice marina plus only about 60 miles from good places to sail to for visiting, so close enough to be back if you have a hard schedule. I've been researching places to take the family for 4 days at a pop.

To the south, lots of folks recommend Warderick Wells nature park. Apparently it's really beautiful and they have a nice mooring field. It's like $30 per day to moor so cheap. A little further south, you have Pig Beach which some say is overrated, also next door is Staniel Cay and the Thunderball grotto.

To the north, you can make for Marsh Harbor which has a lot going on, or go a little further north to Green Turtle Cay. Of course, those are just pockets of civilization, you can find anywhere along the route to stop for a day or whatever.

I'm still researching solid snorkeling spots where the kids can see lots of colorful fish, turtles, etc.
There is no way that he has time to get to Warderick Wells or Marsh Harbour on a four day charter. Best case scenario is that he gets down to Highbourne/Normans/Shroud Cay before going back up to Palm Cay Marina.
Old 25-02-2019, 12:28   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESSWILLMS View Post
You mean you're supposed to use CHARTS when sailing?

Yes, I am aware that there are limitations. I was seeking specific (and friendly) advice from those who have gone before me, as I always do when chartering.

Fair winds...
I have been there multiple times, and here's some specific and friendly advice for you. New Providence is kind of in the middle of nowhere and surrounded on the south and east by coral-head-filled banks. About 35-40 miles to the SE are the northern Exumas. If you average 7kts (sailing to windward), you can leave Palm Cay Marina at 7am and be at Highbourne Cay (https://www.google.com/search?q=high...w=1229&bih=578) by about 2pm.
Another hour below that is Normans Cay (https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...30.oK5qIPv2yBg). Another hour below that is Shroud Cay (https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...30.BQZEXKvt9Jg).
All three of these cays are beautiful and scenic, with some of the best beaches you will ever set foot on. The problem is that you're going to use up most of one day getting there, and most of one day getting back. You can't sail back to Palm Cay Marina by 9am from any of those Exuma Cays. You're going to have to sail back up the day before. So night one you're in the marina. Day two you can sail down to the Exumas. Day three you have free to do what you want. Day four you have to sail back to New Providence. None of this takes weather into account, so if on day one it's blowing 30kts out of the SE (which happens), you're going to have trouble getting down to the Exumas. If on day four it's blowing 30kts out of the north (which also happens) you're going to have a tough time getting back to New Providence. You stated that the reason for your charter was that you wanted to test sail a model of boat you're considering buying. You should go to New Providence with the intention of daysailing in that area and returning to Palm Cay in the evenings. If you show up and have a favorable weather window for your entire four days, then you should have a contingency plan to sail down to the upper Exumas. That's really about all you can do, unless you want to try to get over to northern Eleuthera, which will be a bit further away than the Exumas. https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...j0.uc4wdD8TnZY
I will reiterate that whether you go to northern Eleuthera or the northern Exumas, you are going to be dealing with shallow banks that are full of coral heads. You should absolutely study a chart before deciding what you're going to do. Best wishes.
Old 25-02-2019, 13:00   #10

Quote:
I have been there multiple times, and here's some specific and friendly advice for you. New Providence is kind of in the middle of nowhere and surrounded on the south and east by coral-head-filled banks. About 35-40 miles to the SE are the northern Exumas. If you average 7kts (sailing to windward), you can leave Palm Cay Marina at 7am and be at Highbourne Cay (https://www.google.com/search?q=high...w=1229&bih=578) by about 2pm.
Another hour below that is Normans Cay (https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...30.oK5qIPv2yBg). Another hour below that is Shroud Cay (https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...30.BQZEXKvt9Jg).
All three of these cays are beautiful and scenic, with some of the best beaches you will ever set foot on. The problem is that you're going to use up most of one day getting there, and most of one day getting back. You can't sail back to Palm Cay Marina by 9am from any of those Exuma Cays. You're going to have to sail back up the day before. So night one you're in the marina. Day two you can sail down to the Exumas. Day three you have free to do what you want. Day four you have to sail back to New Providence. None of this takes weather into account, so if on day one it's blowing 30kts out of the SE (which happens), you're going to have trouble getting down to the Exumas. If on day four it's blowing 30kts out of the north (which also happens) you're going to have a tough time getting back to New Providence. You stated that the reason for your charter was that you wanted to test sail a model of boat you're considering buying. You should go to New Providence with the intention of daysailing in that area and returning to Palm Cay in the evenings. If you show up and have a favorable weather window for your entire four days, then you should have a contingency plan to sail down to the upper Exumas. That's really about all you can do, unless you want to try to get over to northern Eleuthera, which will be a bit further away than the Exumas. https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...j0.uc4wdD8TnZY
I will reiterate that whether you go to northern Eleuthera or the northern Exumas, you are going to be dealing with shallow banks that are full of coral heads. You should absolutely study a chart before deciding what you're going to do. Best wishes.
Thank you very much for your helpful reply! I do appreciate the insight and pointers. Here's hoping for favorable winds (suppose we got spoiled all those times in the BVI where it's so easy to get places). Cheers!
Old 25-02-2019, 13:12   #11

The good news is that by May, it's pretty much getting to be Summer down there, so there is much less chance of cold front (high winds) rolling through. You'll probably have sunny days with SE 10-15kt winds, and some scattered showers around 3-4pm every day. You should be able to get down to Highbourne Cay for sure and have a good time on the beach on the western side (which is public access). The rest of the island is a private resort and off-limits to non-guests. Here's the western beach at Highbourne: https://i.imgur.com/Dd9EaBX.jpg
Old 25-02-2019, 16:04   #12

Quote:
The good news is that by May, it's pretty much getting to be Summer down there, so there is much less chance of cold front (high winds) rolling through. You'll probably have sunny days with SE 10-15kt winds, and some scattered showers around 3-4pm every day. You should be able to get down to Highbourne Cay for sure and have a good time on the beach on the western side (which is public access). The rest of the island is a private resort and off-limits to non-guests. Here's the western beach at Highbourne: https://i.imgur.com/Dd9EaBX.jpg
That sounds great! Thanks again for your help.
Old 26-02-2019, 06:05   #13

Boat: Cambria 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESSWILLMS View Post
That sounds great! Thanks again for your help.

Nice restaurant at Highbourne Cay and the trip across the Yellow Bank isn't as bad as is often made out.
gussers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 14:22   #14

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdubs View Post

If you only have four days Abaco (Marsh harbour ) would be hard to do. Stick to northern Exumas or if you want to go north Royal island would be it.
Old 26-02-2019, 16:19   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Have made the trip from Nassau to the Exumas five times, the most recent three weeks ago. Lowcountry covered the issues very well.

If you want to test the boat then, weather permitting, sail to the northern Exumas, spend a day and sail back. Assuming normal trades it will give you a day close hauled getting there and a day off the wind getting back.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, nassau