Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2019, 09:10   #1

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Mullet Key anchorage

Anyone anchored off the south side of Mullet Key/Tampa Bay? Does it have the same problems as Egmont Key with the tides/currents? Thanks, Rognvald
Old 22-04-2019, 14:53   #2

Boat: Gemini 105Mc
Re: Mullet Key anchorage

I must say, I have been boating in this area for 23 years......... I had to google where Mullet Key is.........

Second, why the heck do you want to anchor there? There is a much more protected anchorage at Bimini Bay (Anna Maria Island) on the south side. You can also go into Pass-a-grille and anchor at numerous places inside, including Gulfport.

From Google maps..... Mullet key looks protected from most things northerly.

The rest, well, it looks like you take your chances.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 15:34   #3

Hi, Davy,
We're not looking to set up camp but rather have a relatively secure anchorage for a night for an early morning departure to the Dry Tortugas. I also know this area very well but have never dropped the hook off Mullet and wonder if it suffers from the same tide/current/wind issues as Egmont Key. The other anchorages you suggested are too far from the shipping channel for our purposes. Hopefully, we can check it out soon before our trip unless others have some feedback. Thanks for the reply . . . Rognvald
Old 22-04-2019, 16:05   #4

Just my opinion, because I haven't done it. But, it would look like you would be better off at Egmont. For example, if you found that you are getting uncomfortable easterlies you could round the island and get protection on the west side and vice versa. The south side of Fort Desoto only provides protection from the north.

Do you need to be in the shipping channel? Again, just my opinion, my spot for a departure would be Longboat Pass. You can get a good night sleep and even eat at a restaurant if you want to.

Good luck, we intend to head directly to Marathon second week of May.
Old 23-04-2019, 05:47   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
Just my opinion, because I haven't done it. But, it would look like you would be better off at Egmont. For example, if you found that you are getting uncomfortable easterlies you could round the island and get protection on the west side and vice versa. The south side of Fort Desoto only provides protection from the north.

Do you need to be in the shipping channel? Again, just my opinion, my spot for a departure would be Longboat Pass. You can get a good night sleep and even eat at a restaurant if you want to.

Good luck, we intend to head directly to Marathon second week of May.
Hi, Davy,
Egmont is a nightmare to anchor, especially in wind/tide shifts. That's why it isn't used as an overnight anchorage by cruisers but only a cautious day stop. We have witnessed the circus antics of anchored boats(power and sail) there going back to the late 70's so Egmont is a no-go for us. Longboat pass requires waiting for the bridge to open and the best anchoring for us is about a mile away near the Cortez Bridge adding another hour, at least, to departure time if we don't have to wait for traffic at the bridge. We're planning to sail to Mullet this week on a Southerly to see how it is to anchor on its lee shore in moderate winds. Thanks for the input. Good luck and safe sailing . . . Rognvald
Old 23-04-2019, 06:02   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Rog--

We have anchored off the souh side of Mullet, in the vicinity of the water tower, a few times for a day stop when the anchorage off the south side of the Pilot Station at Egmont was too "active" for my taste and found the conditions virtually the same as one finds at Eqmont. I would not care to anchor there over night save in very settled weather. The tidal streams can be very strong along the shoreline and tide against even modest winds can be awkward.

As an alternative that might also give you a jump on the mileage to the Keys, you might consider the anchorage on the southwest side of Jewfish Key, just south of Longboat Pass. That's a well protected anchorage without much traffic during the week and the channel out of Longboat has reportedly been dredged to clear the shoals that have plagued the Pass in the last few years. One would have to time one's departure for an early morning bridge opening but that shouldn't be too difficult and you'll have the rising sun behind you which is favorable. Just watch the state of the tidal stream and adjust accordingly.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2019, 06:20   #7

A couple of things, First anchor south of Jewfish Key. Secondly, Longboat Pass bridge opens on demand.

Here is a video we shot of the area a few weeks ago:

Old 24-04-2019, 07:01   #8

"We have anchored off the souh side of Mullet, in the vicinity of the water tower, a few times for a day stop when the anchorage off the south side of the Pilot Station at Egmont was too "active" for my taste and found the conditions virtually the same as one finds at Eqmont. I would not care to anchor there over night save in very settled weather. The tidal streams can be very strong along the shoreline and tide against even modest winds can be awkward."
SvHyLyte

Thanks, Sv,
This is what we thought and is why I wanted first-hand information for this anchorage. I need to rethink my jumping off point. In regards to Longboat Pass, we have used this many times in the past and never liked it. It is very narrow(room for one sailboat) and allows for little, if any, response time once you commit. We have encountered, numerous times, both sail and power boats racing to the opening irrespective of safety. And during rush hour(dawn), the wait for a bridge opening can be very long. Perhaps we'll have to stage a bit further south or reconsider our old haunt--the Manatee. Thanks also to Davy for your feedback. Best, Rognvald
Old 24-04-2019, 07:31   #9

You are correct that the Longboat Pass bridge is only a one leave bridge and narrow compared to the two leave bridges of Cortez or Anna Maria Island. However we have never encountered any problems there. The bridge opens on demand, so the only waiting for us has been for the tender to lower the gates and raise the bridge. A few times we've communicated on channel 9 with the other boats going through on who would go first or second.

As for the Manatee, if you mean Desoto Point or Emerson Point, just be aware, those two anchorages will add about an hour and a half to get past Anna Maria Island and out into the Gulf.

If you get time, look into Bimini Bay. If you just want a nightime stop over, without shore access, this is about as close to the Gulf as you can get. Follow the well marked channel in, Head straight to the seawall, then turn left. Anchor in the first cove on the right. Depths are about 10-12' and it's well protected. But once again, there is no place to go ashore. Have fun on your trip.
Old 24-04-2019, 08:25   #10

Sorry, post should have said one-leaf bridge and two-leaf bridge.....
Old 28-05-2019, 06:44   #11

As a follow up to this discussion/query, we anchored near Cortez and left from Longboat Pass Bridge for our departure. I still don't like it--it is very narrow and the currents against the tide can be witchy. However, al went well. Thanks, everyone for your replies. Good luck and safe sailing . . . Rognvald

Tags
anchor