Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2009, 19:37   #1

Boat: Passport 40
More Pics, More Blog Entries, and 'Communications in the Bahamas'

We have more pictures and blog posts up, plus I did a big long post on "Communications in the Bahamas" talking about what to expect for Internet and phone service down here. We should have more pics of the Family Island Regatta here in Georgetown soon, and I'm hoping to get another video up soon too. I'm heading to the states for 5 days on Tuesday so I should have time during my 12 hours of flying (Georgetown to Eleuthera to Nassau to Washington DC to Albany, NY) to work on the video.

Anyway, thanks for sticking with us... blog is at s/v Pelican - Following A Dream.

Chris
s/v/ Pelican - Passport 40 #76, Home Port on Lake Champlain, Currently Cruising
BLOG - https://www.svpelican.com
Labatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2009, 04:56   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Nice blog, Chris. Your extensive post on "Communications in the Bahamas" should be a great resource for cruisers. That topic reappears here on a regular basis. Thanks for posting it!
Old 27-04-2009, 12:35   #3

Boat: Passport 40
Thanks Hud. I had a tough time finding all that same info before we left for the Bahamas, so I figured I'd try to make other peoples life a bit easier.
s/v/ Pelican - Passport 40 #76, Home Port on Lake Champlain, Currently Cruising
BLOG - https://www.svpelican.com
Labatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2009, 16:53   #4

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I also got a lot out of your communications post. I was hoping skype would have been a bit more practical, but am happy to know what works and what doesn't. I hope you will keep us up to date with any other tricks you learn.

- Dave
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2009, 21:11   #5

I love Chris' stuff...but just keep in mind that the communications stuff is directly applicable to the Exumas and Nassau. The Abacos wifi situation is MUCH different and much better....and I'm sure the out islands are worse.

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:08   #6

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
I have to chime in here, I just came back from the Abacos and fully agree that the WiFi situation is much better than in the Exumas. I used Skype daily, it worked great (purchase a headset with mic for your laptop). I also purchased a 500mW ALFA Network amplifier from Ebay ($60, I think) which is powered via a USB port on my laptop, Then purchased a 9 Dbi antenna with a 6 foot SMA cable (2 for $14,again from Ebay, make sure you have a back up if you drop it, it will break) which connects directly to the amp, or you could buy a marine antenna for about $100. The system worked great, I pulled in open signals every place we went. The hardest place was Marsh Harbor, I learned quickly that if there is an internet cafe near the anchorage, go buy a drink and they will give you the password to log in, with the amp and antenna on my boat, 90% of the time I could still grab the signal and make Skype calls from the comfort of my boat.
My solution is not marine grade and works for only one laptop at a time, but it cost less than $75 and it worked fine.
Scott730 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cell phone, communications, internet, Bahamas