Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2015, 12:47   #1

More Cuba

A link to SouthWinds Magazine which is running an article in the Feb 2015 issue "Cuba, Boating & US Policy".

http://www.southwindssailing.com/pdf...m=auto,-159,37

Who knows when things will ease legally for boaters to go to Cuba. Business first, then more business, then rich tourists who can afford high end guided tours.

But, news this week out of Cuba makes me think they aren't in any hurry
to accept boaters...of any nationality. Apparently they have closed another Port of Entry.

Marina Darsena Varadero is not longer checking in arrivals and boaters can not go there unless the boat has been in Cuba for at least 30 days. I heard the place is deserted where last year cruisers were coming and going on a steady basis throughout the winter.

Marlinespike
marlinespike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 19:17   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Re: More Cuba

There is a lot of misinformation out there regarding Cuba and travel. We put together a blog post explaining this in easy to understand language, The Trawler Beach House: Can I Take My Boat to Cuba? . The marina in Varadero has been undergoing major renovations. There was no word of any closing or restrictions so if you could provide your source it would be helpful in seperating fact from rumor. You said "another port of entry has been closed." Which Ports of entry have been closed? Many of the marinas in Cuba can be found empty from time to time. There just aren't that many boats cruising there. So where did the information come from that Varadero was empty and for how long? A day, week, month? We're just trying to keep the facts current and correct and keeping the rumor mill down to a minimum. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 05:19   #3

I am currently in contact with friends in Varadero. They were turned away from entering Marina Darsena and told to check in at Gaviota. Only after 30 days in Cuba can the boat go to Darsena which is a much preferred location. The government directive for this is that Darsena cant deal with "International Garbage"... which is garbage. They dealt with it when we were all there last winter.
There are no renovations going on at Darsena unless they are fixing the showers which were in bad shape. All the new dock pedestal and water mains were installed a few years ago and work very well. Docks in great shape, Nav installation all working, security top notch.
Gaviota Marina at the far eastern tip of the Hicacos Peninsula is Cuba's newest marina (still under construction but has dockage). This marina is in such a lousy location for boaters that no one wants to go there. I know, as I was in there in varadero last spring to take a look at it. We were docked, with dozens of other boaters mainly Canadian true but many Europeans and several American vessels, at Darsena at the time.
In essence, Gaviota is Raul Castro's marina. We came to the conclusion last year whilst at Darsena, that he would shut Darsena down in order to drive traffic to Gaviota. This has now been done. Boaters can no longer check in at Darsena. Boats can only enter Darsena after being in Cuba for a month. I know this to be fact as as my friends are there now--they finally got permission to move to Darsena as the boat is now more than 30 days in Cuba. I need the information as I am in the Keys waiting to cross to Cuba. Boaters in Varadero now are not happy with the situation, as Gaviota is a lousy place to spend a month everyone is leaving and making for Marina Hemingway as weather permits. But persistent westerlies are hampering their movements.
My reference to PoEs is that Coco Guillermo is now only a check out port. Maria la Gorda was closed as a PoE a few years ago. And anyone using old guides are shocked when they are turned away from Baracoa as it hasnt been a Port of Entry in years. With a coastline of over 2000 nm there are only seven PoEs.

It is a shame that Americans are being deprived of their constitutional right to travel...well some American anyway. I'd be happy to see more boaters in Cuba.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:36   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinespike View Post
... Marina Darsena Varadero is not longer checking in arrivals and boaters can not go there unless the boat has been in Cuba for at least 30 days. I heard the place is deserted where last year cruisers were coming and going on a steady basis throughout the winter.
Marlinespike
The Cuban Tourist Board still (but may not be up to date?) lists Marina Puerto Sol Darsena de Varadero as a port of entry.

GoCuba.ca

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 05:52   #5

It remains to be seen if and when the Cuban Board updates that data. They really hate bad press out there.

I can confirm that as of Feb 1 2015 Marina Darsena is not a PoE.
If this is permanent or not, again, who can say.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:53   #6

marlinespike, Thanks for the first hand information. With your permission, I would like to repost your informationon on our website and others that are interested in what's going on in Cuba. If you will PM me your info, I will be sure you get credit. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 12-02-2015, 08:15   #7

Not sure what info you require?
We sail to Cuban every winter and spend up to 6 months there.
We have a sailboat and are Canadian.
Don
Old 12-02-2015, 13:18   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinespike View Post
Not sure what info you require?
We sail to Cuban every winter and spend up to 6 months there.
We have a sailboat and are Canadian.
Don
Don, we don't do anonymous reports and would like to have at least your name and the boat name so others will know it came from a reliable source, especially those that know you. I know, if it's on the internet it must be true. But we're very careful about what information we put out there. Thanks. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek

Tags
Cuba