Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2015, 16:22   #31

Re: More Bad News From The Bahamas

Hurricanes can't be bought, and sooner or later, they usually take care of these developments on the low lying islands.

How many ruins from big ideas like these, can be found all over the Bahamas?
Old 11-02-2015, 17:28   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Hurricanes can't be bought, and sooner or later, they usually take care of these developments on the low lying islands.

How many ruins from big ideas like these, can be found all over the Bahamas?
Too many to count. I see them all the time when flying over the out islands. That's why I call the Bahamas "The Land of Unfinished Projects"!
CoopAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:46   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopAir View Post
Too many to count. I see them all the time when flying over the out islands. That's why I call the Bahamas "The Land of Unfinished Projects"!
I spent a month flying over the southern Bahamas every day, and I too, was amazed at how many abandoned homes, runways, airplanes, resorts, everything, we saw. And, we were flying in some of the most remote areas of the Bahamas.

Man plans, God laughs.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:47   #34

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
I spent a month flying over the southern Bahamas every day, and I too, was amazed at how many abandoned homes, runways, airplanes, resorts, everything, we saw. And, we were flying in some of the most remote areas of the Bahamas.

Man plans, God laughs.
I agree about the abandoned developments, but not all the homes you saw were abandoned. Bahamians don't have or make a lot of money. Families buy or inherit a piece of land and will build a house on the property whenever they have saved some money. So, many of these homes are a work in progress. They are done in bits and pieces as money comes available. Some of these homes take many years to get completed, but usually get completed. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:36   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorageGuy View Post
I agree about the abandoned developments, but not all the homes you saw were abandoned. Bahamians don't have or make a lot of money. Families buy or inherit a piece of land and will build a house on the property whenever they have saved some money. So, many of these homes are a work in progress. They are done in bits and pieces as money comes available. Some of these homes take many years to get completed, but usually get completed. Chuck
I've seen those, too. But, most of the ones I see when I'm down there look like the were finished, lived in a while, and then abandoned. Hurricanes outside of tourist centers don't get much coverage, but when Ike hit Great Inagua, for instance, one of the islands we used to work out of, a few years ago, it really did a number on it.

That's why I don't worry so much about development in the Exumas. Sooner or later, nature will fix it back.
Old 12-02-2015, 13:30   #36

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
I've seen those, too. But, most of the ones I see when I'm down there look like the were finished, lived in a while, and then abandoned. Hurricanes outside of tourist centers don't get much coverage, but when Ike hit Great Inagua, for instance, one of the islands we used to work out of, a few years ago, it really did a number on it.

That's why I don't worry so much about development in the Exumas. Sooner or later, nature will fix it back.
Except that there will be a lot of damage to the environment and we will have to look at ugly run down buildings where there were once pristine waters and unspoiled islands. That's the part everyone seems to miss. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 19:44   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorageGuy View Post
Except that there will be a lot of damage to the environment and we will have to look at ugly run down buildings where there were once pristine waters and unspoiled islands. That's the part everyone seems to miss. Chuck
Trust me, I've lived through several hurricanes and the resulting damage. You might be surprised how quickly nature takes back.

But, if they asked me, yeah, I'd say leave it alone, too.
Old 20-02-2015, 09:58   #38
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Unless you're Bahamian or a Resident, you really don't have a dog in this race. It's their country. If they'd rather have some of those empty islands hosting families at $500 per day times 200 rooms, than sailors who brag about how they spend that much a month cruising, it's THEIR business. And the increase in business definitely DOES benefit the local people. Developments require support infrastructure. You think they are going to commute the workers by air? They'll live on site for the duration. And they need support. Hardware and grocery stores get built. Restaurants. Roads get paved. Electricity and water issues get sorted out. Long term jobs are there, too, for those who want them. These improvements would never happen without some foreign investment.

And talk is cheap.
Actually, there is a fair amount of discontent among locals -

The Very Mixed Track Record of Out Island Resort Projects in the Bahamas - Bahama Pundit

Fred Smith is an awesome man. I was fortunate enough to meet him when he was kind enough to give us a ride back to the dock after a trip to the local grocery for provisions. Thanks Freddy!

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 19:01   #39

I have the suspicion that some of these developments (throughout the tropics) are basically money laundering schemes. Never intended to be viable businesses and fated from the start to be abandoned. But extremely helpful devices for their shady and invisible investors.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Vivid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 19:44   #40

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivid View Post
I have the suspicion that some of these developments (throughout the tropics) are basically money laundering schemes. Never intended to be viable businesses and fated from the start to be abandoned. But extremely helpful devices for their shady and invisible investors.

While that may or may not have been true in the past, it definitely is not with this Chinese group involved this time.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 06:37   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivid View Post

Live in Miami a while, and you began to realize just how many of those waterfront mansions are built on ill gotten gains. Drugs in the past, huge financial scams now.

Maybe the Chinese are immune to that. I don't know much about China and their crime problems.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:53   #42

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Yes not all Bahamians agree with some of these projects but the problem goes much deeper than these projects and development practices. As a country, we've based so much on tourism and for obvious reasons. We have neglected sectors like agriculture because it isn't nearly as profitable and Bahamians don't want to farm. We try to be far sighted and make good development choices that will benefit the most, but options are limited. We aren't geared up to do construction projects like the Chinese over at baha mar. I even applied for a job there. Executive level, but despite many years of proven leadership success, I wasn't considered. Of course it may be as simple as better candidates, but I also requested real money. Curious to meet the management team at some point.

Was just in Phnom Penh and the Chinese are pacing the road up to siem reap. They have also dumped a wad into the capital city in general. This is just what they do. Very opportunistic and highly capable. Cambodians can't do what they can do. Bahamians can't. The trick is how to manage these development interests and it is challenging. Corporations need governments to make all this happen and politicians are terrified of chasing away investors. A resort like Baha Mar is well positioned to show leadership in various areas, so we will see.

Long term approaches are unfortunately not common. We are a hand to mouth economy and as a culture seem to lack the discipline to develop in ways like an Asian culture can. Island culture mon. Is what it is. We don't have Confucianism to help structure our work force.

That said, I'm critical of our inability to plan effectively and really develop the Bahamas properly. This would not be popular politically. I measure a countries security primarily through agriculture, being an ag professional who both manages a large farm with dozens of staff, leads international trips to study agriculture and has served as an elected official overseeing local conservation and ag development. Unfortunately some of the ag development we have done mirrors resort development. Chinese plop down confinement hog rearing and import grain. Right next door, Cuba has realized a higher level of food independence and attracts people from around the world to look at post soviet ag development there. But agriculture was central to reforms of Fidel et al and that just ain't happening in the commonwealth.

We need to do so much better at saving during the good times, making good investments, and recognizing real value. For the most part we are reactionary and simply respond to whatever is presented to us.

My perspective is unique to some extent. I've spent more time traveling and living in other countries. I wish I could do more to help and perhaps one day I'll return and get more involved. We need to be driving the bus more, putting more rfp's out in the world for Bahamian projects, and holding employers accountable for hiring policies and professional development . I'd be happy enough if new providence would secede from the archipelago at times

We are a young country, only 41 years old. We've got a long way to go. These projects are suboptimal stepping stones to our financial independence. The Chinese don't give a rats ass about our maritime environment but they solve short term problems.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas