Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 16:48   #16

Boat: Gozzard 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames

What's wrong with using multiple sources?

Coral -- or any other life form -- could be challenged by more than one event.
I was trying to establish what the objections were, while at the same time trying, in a subtle way, to point out that the article contained the thoughts/words of three people and that the criticism of the article seemed to lump those thoughts into the thoughts of one mind.

I started to compose my reply when there were only two posts altogether, got busy and finished later...consider my reply as the second reply to the post to understand my bias.

Having written all that...There are fewer and fewer climate change deniers yet we still do next to nothing about it, as a fresh water sailor I have not yet seen a live reef, I want to!
Captivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 18:01   #17
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: More bad news for Caribbean coral reefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captivy View Post
I was trying to establish what the objections were, while at the same time trying, in a subtle way, to point out that the article contained the thoughts/words of three people and that the criticism of the article seemed to lump those thoughts into the thoughts of one mind.

I started to compose my reply when there were only two posts altogether, got busy and finished later...consider my reply as the second reply to the post to understand my bias.

Having written all that...There are fewer and fewer climate change deniers yet we still do next to nothing about it, as a fresh water sailor I have not yet seen a live reef, I want to!

I'm not defending those who think we might not be destroying our climate -- we're a powerful species. I'm just pointing out that a good article *will* use multiple sources and blend it into one article.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 23:11   #18

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: More bad news for Caribbean coral reefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
So you are in denial of climate change because you think there may be government action? Or are you in denial period... denying the science? So far, your mixing the two.

I think it is more like a justification to continue on a personal path of fuel consumption (read powerboat) which leads to carbon emissions leading to climate change. It would be a guess...but probably a large road vehicle also.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:46   #19

Boat: 45ft Ketch
Re: More Bad News for Caribbean Coral Reefs

I understand sea level's been measurably rising for many decades, maybe a hundred years. This won't stop some scientists from trying to panic people in order to get more funding same as other professions panic people to promote sun screens, drug sales, insurance schemes, gun sales, etc etc. What ever side you're on, don't take news reports without a healthy level of skepticism.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:40   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

"Despite this, coral reefs around the world are rapidly being degraded by a number of human activities including over-fishing, coastal development, and the introduction of sewage fertilizer and sediment. Trade in reef species is a strong additional pressure on this already highly threatened ecosystem." This quote is from a tropical fish website, which doesn't subscribe to a particular political "religion" ie global warming. As a biologist I am unconvinced that global warming is the critical factor. One only has to look at the extent of the pollution of our own coastal waters to consider that excess nitrogen in the water from human activities is probably the greatest cause, which is the most difficult problem to control in a tropical reef "closed system" home aquarium. Coral reef systems require almost 0 parts per million of nitrogen waste to flourish.

It is a common practice in Third World countries for people to collect reef fish specimens (some of which sell for prices in excess of $100 in the US) using cyanide. This practice is very prevalent in the Philippines.

No doubt we are not taking good care of our planet. Global warming may or may not be occurring as it has in the past in cycles. True believers have been found tampering with the data by moving temperature sensors for example from high elevations around Denver to the Denver airport proven by email records. What are we to believe? Look around at the waters at the eastern coast, clear gulfstream water lies 35 miles or more offshore- runoff from coastal over-development, inadequate sewage treatment plants, massive ocean dumping... the list is endless and sickening.

Pollution is a multi-factorial problem and no political leader is proposing anything that will remotely affect the trajectory of the problem, though some are proposing measures that are somewhat like charging an exit tax to disembark the Titanic into the ocean.

Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:09   #21

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz
If that wasn't so sad it would be funny.
Look at Al Gore and the millions he's making in global warming while still living with a carbon footprint the size of a small town.

Many different agendas most of them not pure.

As for coral die off I would look at fertilizers and sewage before global scaring. Use Tobago as an example.
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:10   #22

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

I've also read that the lionfish invasion has contributed to reef death. The lionfish deplete the populations of parrotfish and other reef algae-eaters, algae builds up and smothers the live coral. . . . Not sure how that compares to the loss of sea urchins.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:01   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amytom View Post
Look at Al Gore and the millions he's making in global warming ...
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/03/bu...nt/03gore.html

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/gov...e_energy_2.htm

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:16   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
I understand sea level's been measurably rising for many decades, maybe a hundred years. This won't stop some scientists from trying to panic people in order to get more funding same as other professions panic people to promote sun screens, drug sales, insurance schemes, gun sales, etc etc. What ever side you're on, don't take news reports without a healthy level of skepticism.
Would you mind showing me where the Scientists are trying to create panic? And please how that has directly been linked to their funding. I'd really like to see that. As a matter of fact, I would support the "no man-made" climate change theory. Or maybe proof that sun screen is a ploy to reap in millions. I mean you must be right since I paid about $4 for a tube last year and still have some left. Of course the NRA is secretly linked to some sinister plan to fill their deep pockets with cash while funding the media to scare us all.
Lions and Tigers and Bears...Oh my!
And like you say..."don't take news reports without a healthy level of skepticism". I think I will apply that here.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 08-09-2012, 07:22   #25

Thanx Gord...You are a real asset to the forum. They were good articles explaining how anyone can profit and clean up the environment ay the same time...
Old 08-09-2012, 09:59   #26

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse

Gord, Your research abilities continue to amaze. In this case the old phrase "follow the money" definitely applies though. Mr Gore is not a saint...
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 14:18   #27

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Celestial..Sunshine is of cruiser forum interest. Sunscreens lower the rates of melanoma and reduce vitamin D uptake. Vitamin D deficiency increases cancer rates. Researchers funded by sunscreen marketers focus on melanoma. Its human nature mate, the focus of research is naturally directed to the interests of those who provide the funding. There will always be scientists working for funds provided by industries with an agenda. Google "Sunshine & melanoma" and then "Sunshine & cancer" and you will see what I mean.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 18:05   #28

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Take a look at this article and chart and it's pretty hard to blame man for global temp changes and the "evil" carbon dioxide.

Archived-Articles: CO2 Fairytales in Global Warming

Besides, the carbon dioxide level TRAILS the supposed warming which has actually been COOLING for over a decade.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 21:26   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

The reason for posting the report on the Caribbean reefs that are disappearing is because it is real. It is really happening, and really happening right now. There is no projection, no theory, just facts.

Scientists are a fairly conservative bunch, and don't easily jump to conclusions. For those interested, here is a web site which discusses various scientific responses to those who have doubts about cause and effect. Responses are presented in basic format, an intermediate format for those better versed in science, and and advance format for those that really understand those things (I don't).

It is worth perusing.
Old 08-09-2012, 22:16   #30

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

We have a severe drought, wet cycle in Australia, Very noticeable,

They last about on average between 7 to 15 years, Thats the records going back to 1860,
We have just finished a 13 year drought, Now Global warming is big time,

Back in the early 70's after a big wet period, we were going head first into global freezing,

We get global freezing and global warming continously, it all depends on what end of the wet or dry period we are in,

Another 5 years time, Hahahahaha, we will be chronically into another global freezing,

The Great Barrier Reef is dying due to the chemicals that are being pumped into it from the intensive chemical farming practices on the coast line,

It flows off the land and the Reef stops it from being dispersed into the ocean,

And you wonder why the reef is dying, Its covered in chemicals,

Coral doesnt like being drowned in chemicals,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, coral, reefs, caribbean