Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2012, 11:24   #1

Boat: SeaPearl 21 - Thurston
Montevideo to Florianopolis in Jan/Feb

Hi,
I am planning on sailing from the Montevideo area to Florianopolis and eventually Sao Paulo/Rio. Can anyone tell me what to expect as far as usual weather patterns during January and February? Wind directions/speeds, currents, whatever is relevant.
Thanks!
marshappynation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 17:38   #2

Re: Montevideo to Florianopolis in Jan/Feb

The best option is to go north in March.
In January and February least you'll have a lot of wind NE it very difficult to go north since tightened against the shore ..
The recommendation is first to go to La Paloma, Uruguay and wait for a southern front then go to Rio Grande do Sul, in Brazil. In Uruguay with winds above 20 K they close the port and you can not go.
In Rio Grande do Sul you have to wait a southern front, enabling it to reach Florianópolis. Almost 3 days nevegación by sailboat. Again wait a southern front. From there you can make a short navigation to Porto Belho, or continue to Sao Francisco do Sul, with the best nautical museum in south America.
Again wait a southern front to go to Santos or better Ilhabela.
The rest of the information on WP, routes, nautic charts, clubs , foods, and tips in my sailing guide from Brazil, free on Internet, but in Spanish

See: Foros Temticos: Mini gua nutica de Brasil

Omar Sanchez, From Buenos Aires.
Wetdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 18:35   #3

Boat: Velamar/German Frers 27
Wetdoc said it all. NE winds are quite strong this time of year. I'm in Paraná, 350km north of Fpolis, but I don't think is different down there.
Gabrieln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 04:39   #4

Boat: SeaPearl 21 - Thurston

Thanks guys, this is helpful.

Could you tell me how frequently South fronts occur, and how strong the winds tend to be? Also, is the surf along this coast always big or are there times when the sea is calm during this time of year?

We travel in a very small boat with only 1 foot draft and prefer to stop every night. We have seen a few rivers on the map which may be entered if the swells are low. One friend has recommended we enter the Laguna dos Patos, then transport back to the sea at the northern end. For the shortest transport we would also want to launch right away from a beach, but if there is always significant surf this would be impossible.

We got here by river, but we hate to go back that way without seeing some of the coast. Having traveled the Caribbean coast of Colombia and Venezuela with similar obstacles we think we could do this, but the question is whether it would be so unpleasant as to nullify the pleasure of seeing the Brasilian coast!

Add to the mix the fact that I am 6 months pregnant and may need to just hop on a bus at some point when the sailing becomes too difficult. Is it easy to find crew who might want to help my husband out on some of the longer passages?

Thanks again!
marshappynation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 06:20   #5

A friend did what you said, in a small sailboat go north of the Patos Lagoa and then return to sea. That was possible many years ago, today there are so many fishing nets that is unworkable.
The critical step is to Rio Grande do Sul to Florianopolis, when required three days of ( strong ) south wind. Imposible stop.
On the other hand if the boat is small and you are pregnant it seems more logical to raise the boat to a truck and take it to Rio Grande to Angra, a paradise for sailing, hundreds of islands and with little wind.
The baby will be grateful
Wetdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 10:55   #6

Boat: Velamar/German Frers 27
Brazilian southernmost shore has a bad reputation both dangerous as much boring. Lagoa do Peixe as an exception. ABVC (brazilian cruisers' association) organizes a rally that goes all the way to Buenos Aires with a group of argentinean. It's called Costa Sul/Crucero de la amistad. They just had a lecture about it. I think would be wise to get in touch with them and get some help.
Anyway, your shallow draft it's perfect to enjoy our local area - Paranaguá, Guaraqueçaba, Canal do Varadouro, Ilha do Cardoso... It's a amazingly beautiful scenery with a rich history.
If easy, it's a good idea to take the boat straight to Florianópolis by truck.
Gabrieln is offline   Reply With Quote