Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2013, 22:50   #1

Boat: Mac 26X
Mobile Bay to Galveston...what to see?

Planning a spring cruise from around Mobile Bay back to Galveston, via Mississippi barrier islands and New Orleans, and coinciding with the Bayou Teche Wooden Boat Festival. What else on that route (via the ICW) should we plan to see?
Old 14-01-2013, 23:43   #2

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Mobile Bay to Galveston...what to see?

Try the Marina in Houma Louisiana and the Tabasco Plant and Gift Shop near New Iberia LA. and give us a shout and yall can tye up at our place and we will show ya around the Bayou Country !!
Old 15-01-2013, 00:18   #3

Much abliged Bob! I'll sure look into that! "Your place" is on the water?
Old 15-01-2013, 00:25   #4

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

You can make a long inland passage out of it. Sail up Chandeleur Sound, across Lake Borgne, through the Rigolets, across Lake Pontchartrain, through the IHNC known locally as the Industrial Canal, cross the Mississippi and down Harvey Canal and follow the ICW through Houma and on to Morgan City. After the festival, down the Atchafalaya or another route less traveled to the Gulf. The IHNC is, I believe, finally re-opened.
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 00:41   #5

Hey GM, I see you're in NO...where would a guy tie up or anchor for a night or two to see some of the town...with some local flavor. I really don't like fancy marinas, but want to see the real deal.
Old 15-01-2013, 00:50   #6

Yep on Terrebonne Bayou no bridges to worry about 5 1/2 ft with wooden bulk head and tye ups
Old 15-01-2013, 00:56   #7

Theres really no where near New Orleans except for 2 marinas! no anchorages safe enough for going ashore to look around. you should be able to get a few nights at either one of the marinas on Lake Ponchatrain in New Orleans. There are a few decent anchorages off the ICW along the way to the show ya want to go see and theres some dockage there also! feel free to message if theres anything we can do to make your trip better here in Louisiana
Old 15-01-2013, 01:03   #8

So the next question I GOTTA ask is why are you guys online!!!!

I'm at work so I have an excuse....wait, that sounds wrong....being a night nurse is cool most days ;-) Bob I see your wife is too
Old 15-01-2013, 01:29   #9

Yep ! she's at work in the ER tonight!
Old 15-01-2013, 01:35   #10

Not much internet time in an ER. I'm in a pedi ICU and we're having a slow night.
Old 15-01-2013, 07:05   #11

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
Hey GM, I see you're in NO...where would a guy tie up or anchor for a night or two to see some of the town...with some local flavor. I really don't like fancy marinas, but want to see the real deal.
You could anchor in the lake with a S wind but there is no protection from any northerly wind. It is wide open. Maybe anchor just west of the marinas. There is a park there. During the day it should be okay to leave your dink there if you got a chain and padlock, or just wade ashore if your got a skinny draft. Or get a transient berth in Orleans Marina. The outer marina is the municipal one and I don't know anything about it. Not sure if anybody is even collecting slip rents yet so maybe MAYBE... check with someone, you could just tie up there but don't quote me on that. You will notice it still isn't even half full. I know there were a lot of freeloaders there and there was talk about liens for back rent. My marina, the inner one, is more protected and more full but there is usually a transient berth available. Just motor right in, hang a line on the first pier where you see the pumpout station, walk up the dock and talk to Miss Helaine. Upstairs. She will hook you up. Or google the number and call on your cel. There is nobody in the office after 5 or on weekends but security is watching so I would not do any unauthrized docking after hours.

From the marina you are a 15 minute cab ride from the Quarter. if you call for a cab, I recommend United. If there is a dock party on pier 3, you might get a bottle so you don't come empty handed and go introduce yourself. A few bars in the area, a Robert's (Pronounced, Ro-BAIRs) and a walgreens a block away. Google the city bus service and you will find a stop maybe 1/4 mile away but check the schedule.

I am actually in the Persian Gulf right now so can't be your land pilot. Keep your valuables secure. There are pickpockets. Otherwise the Quarter is fairly safe adn there are bars and restaurants open 24/7. We also have a great zoo and there is City Park, Steamboat rides, walking tours, museums and other stuff to do.

In the Quarter I recommend going to Quartermaster Deli at Bourbon and Ursulines for a Roast Beef Poboy. HYOOOOGE and pretty cheap and they deliver 24/7 anywhere in the quarter. Decent burger too, and daily specials.

Sunday morning put on proper clothes and check out the jazz brunch at Two Sisters. A little pricey but wow... unforgettable.

Don't waste time in line at the too-popular Acme Oyster House. Felix's across the street has oysters just as good and the line is shorter. It is actually pretty hard to find a bad place to eat except for Moon Wok... stay away from that place if you want you and your stomach to remain friends.

Deja Vu (the restaurant, not the titty bar) is a good place to eat in the small hours of the morning. Food is good, prices cheap, service unfortunately varies wildly so be patient, but it is a low-lifer party animal spot.

Daisy Dukes and Jimani, and Hog's Bar (that;s the old name I don't remember the new name) are good places late at night. That's where a lot of the Iberville Street strippers hang out as well as other soiled doves.

of strippers if your taste runs to the tacky and unrestrained/unrefined, early evenings check out Dixie Divas. Look for a big guy named Felix and if he is working, tell him Robinson said HI and said to let you in for free. (actually there is no cover charge... just an inside joke.)

A good place to just chill and listen to jams is Fritzels on Bourbon Street. They usually have a small Dixieland combo and it is a really cool small club atmosphere frequented by tourists and locals.

During the day there is plenty of free entertainment. Lots of street performers on Royal Street during the day. You won't be bored. Step into the A&P which is now Rouse's and get a tallboy and go out and sit on the curb and check out the music.

The Quarter isn't the only place to go. There are drinkeries and eateries all over the City. Uptown, St. Claude, Mid City, the Marigny, all over the place. Be careful where you walk at night. The Quarter is okay and the brightly lit areas of Uptown are, too. Where you see lots of tourists in stupid hats you are generally safe as long are reasonably sober and alert and you look like a harder target than the rest of them.

Houma is another nice spot to stop for a day and a night. The bayou winds around through downtown and is a really mellow place to just row the dink around for a couple hours. It's a Kodak spot. Lots of real Cajun cooking and I don't mean that phoney "blackened this and blackened that" Cajun, either.

At night on the unpopulated stretches of the ICW it can be hard to get a good night's rest with all the barge traffic but you can try dropping a stern anchor or two and tying to a tree on the bank, then pull yourself back out a bit on your anchor rodes.

Across the lake there is Madisonville which is popular with the local yachties. (too popular on weekends or festivals) Go up there on a weekday and you can tie up for free at the city docks. A few friendly little bars and restaurants and you might like it after the hustlebustle of New Orleans. Motor up the river a couple of miles and maybe you see some wildlife. Don't feed the gators. They don't dislike you, but they are not very smart and they don't know where the grilled cheese sandwhich ends, and the hand that feeds it to them begins. Good fishing so think about getting a nonresident 3 day fishing license if you swing that way.

Whatever you do, don't pass by a place that says they got hot Boudoin (pronouncified, Boo-Dan) without getting some. Take some back to the boat with you, too, and in the morning scramble it with a couple of eggs, a little leftover rice and whatever other leftovers you got. Rib stickin good. Another local sausage you can't go away without trying is Andouillie (An-DOO-ey) which is killer in red beans or chicken gumbo.
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2013, 14:03   #12

Wow wow wow thanks man! I'll have to print that post out!

I'll just use your Marina, that sounds nice and close. All the rest of that info makes me think I'll need more time, but we're only 5 hrs away by car.

And the real cajun food is what I'm mostly looking for...I do love me some boudoin!
Old 15-01-2013, 14:37   #13

If you stop in at either of the marinas in the lake, look us up and if we're available we'll meet up with you guys. PM me here or find our email on our website in my signature.
Old 15-01-2013, 14:40   #14

Also see:
Food in the South - No where to go but down. | Sundowner Sails Again
Old 15-01-2013, 14:46   #15

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Great route and great food, lots of memories, sailed it many times in the past, but I have not sailed post-Katrina so these guys know better the current state.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote