Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2013, 15:00   #31

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Missing Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Erin,

No need to close the thread. It will live on and help others in your situation. I agree with others who predicted a happy outcome. Thank you for giving us the good news.

I hope in future he has an EPIRB on board as it will be a much more reliable indicator of trouble than missing SPOT messages. EPIRB coverage is much better than SPOT as others have already mentioned. Knowing a boat has both systems can give the folks back home more peace of mind.
+1

Very good news. Spot seems just a nice toy for coastal sailors. Cheaper is not always the best.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2013, 15:07   #32

Boat: Finnsailer 38

By the way, having sailed before the invention of such things as SPOT, I always call or somehow contact my family before leaving on a longer trip giving them a realistic assessment of my timing on the voyage, and I tell them not to contact the authorities no matter what! My feeling is that I take the risk and I should be the one to live or die by that. If I need help, I have ways to call for help, but only if needed.
Old 22-04-2013, 15:44   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
please don't close this thread. let us know when he arrives safely at his next port. and be sure to tell him that the cruising community helped out as best we could....
Indeed!
Thanks for your expert input, and effective action, Bill T.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 15:55   #34

Boat: Mason 44

Got a reply from his daughter this morning 27th April 2013,

"Hi,

Thanks for messaging; turns out, he’s been found! We finally received a spotcheck from him, seems he’s okay.
We had some feedback from people saying that he was in a zone where signals could be less reliable, and we’ve since had 2 check-ins from him.

Thanks"
ericoh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 17:02   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
I hope in future he has an EPIRB on board as it will be a much more reliable indicator of trouble than missing SPOT messages. EPIRB coverage is much better than SPOT as others have already mentioned. Knowing a boat has both systems can give the folks back home more peace of mind.
He did have an EPIRB on board but obviously he was not in trouble so didn't feel the need to activate it.....

EPIRB and SPOT are completely different animals and should never be compared with each other, one was never meant to be a cheaper alternative to the other......

Erin,

Glad to hear your Dad is safe, no doubt he will be amused at all the fuss when he gets home.....
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
skipper