Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2015, 02:33   #1

Miami Liveaboard in High Season?

Things are always changing in Miami regarding living aboard.

What is the latest?

I have a 50' boat, in excellent shape, a head turner.

Ideally, the Miami Beach Marina would be my top choice due to its proximity to everything. Nice to be able to walk or bike to all the fun. Hoping to save some money relative to that though.

I will be doing some major interior fit outs during the time I'm there.

What are the best options for living aboard, such that I have access to SoBe on foot or by bicycle? Specifically, the Whole Foods on Alton?

I'm open to docking, moorings and anchoring. I typically anchor everywhere, but know that can be a non starter in Miami. I don't mind a loingish dinghy ride of a couple miles if anchored, but do need a secure spot to tuck the dinghy in Miami Beach, which I'm willing to pay for, if it's possible to anchor.

Lastly, what are my registration/tax implications for spending the winter in Miami?

I would be there November to May. High season.
2hullvenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 11:51   #2

Re: Miami Liveaboard in High Season?

Does it make sense to stay over on the mainland, regular Miami side and dinghy across the bay or is that suicidal at night?

Does no one here actually know Miami?

I mean you can live at anchor in NY.
Old 09-07-2015, 13:22   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

You can anchor off South Beach without any hassles. Just a short dink over to the Collins Canal, tie up your dink and you're nearly on Alton. 2 Publixes and a Fresh Foods right there. Free trolley will get you to Whole Foods. Trolley goes as far as 5th Street. Or you can take the South Beach Local, 25 cents a ride.

Good spots to anchor in all the canals south of Venetian Causeway, the closest is right off Belle Isle.

Here's my dink (locked) in the Collins Canal. Over the years there has not been any vandalism or theft in this spot. That's Dade Blvd. on the right. We're looking west.
Old 09-07-2015, 14:51   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
You can anchor off South Beach without any hassles. Just a short dink over to the Collins Canal, tie up your dink and you're nearly on Alton. 2 Publixes and a Fresh Foods right there. Free trolley will get you to Whole Foods. Trolley goes as far as 5th Street. Or you can take the South Beach Local, 25 cents a ride.

Good spots to anchor in all the canals south of Venetian Causeway, the closest is right off Belle Isle.

Here's my dink (locked) in the Collins Canal. Over the years there has not been any vandalism or theft in this spot. That's Dade Blvd. on the right. We're looking west.
Thank you very much.

I've tied up to that rail in the past, but figured I'd lose the dinghy or outboard to theft. Glad to hear it's not as likely as I had imagined.

I've also anchored there, years ago, exactly where you are describing, but...was immediately visited by the Miami beach police who gave me a little pamphlet saying I could anchor no more than a couple weeks or so.

They then said the law wasn't for me, it was for the derelict boats they have problems with.

So... it's possible to anchor there for a season now? No more time restriction?

Amazing if so!
Old 09-07-2015, 19:29   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

No problem. The police were always very nice, even when they had to come out and give you the anchoring spiel. They don't come out at all now.
Old 09-07-2015, 20:34   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Another popular place to anchor is near Dinner Key in Coconut Grove. No access to South Beach but a good dinghy dock and access to other fun things. A bicycle would be good to have in Coconut Grove.

I suggest moving to Dinner Key in February. You'll be able to visit the Coconut Grove Art Show and the Miami International Boat Show with no hassles at all. Walk to the Art Show and ride the water taxi (no charge) to the boat show. Heck, I might move my boat there for Boat Show week.

Miami's best marine supply store has a nice dinghy dock about forty minutes up the Miami river. The ride up the river is always interesting. If you don't feel like taking a ride up river, we can usually arrange to deliver to you at what ever dinghy dock you choose.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:27   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Another popular place to anchor is near Dinner Key in Coconut Grove. No access to South Beach but a good dinghy dock and access to other fun things. A bicycle would be good to have in Coconut Grove.

I suggest moving to Dinner Key in February. You'll be able to visit the Coconut Grove Art Show and the Miami International Boat Show with no hassles at all. Walk to the Art Show and ride the water taxi (no charge) to the boat show. Heck, I might move my boat there for Boat Show week.

Miami's best marine supply store has a nice dinghy dock about forty minutes up the Miami river. The ride up the river is always interesting. If you don't feel like taking a ride up river, we can usually arrange to deliver to you at what ever dinghy dock you choose.
Great idea!

Moving around a bit is always more interesting when spending a season somewhere.

I usually go to art basel and Miami music week.

Coconut Grove is a nice little place too... and the tip on going up the river for marine supplies is very useful, as I am doing major interior work.

I don't mind long dingy rides at all...

I also have a bicycle with bike trailer, which I use for shopping.

These posts are truly great news/information. I'm glad I joined the site!!
Old 17-07-2015, 11:06   #8

Boat: Island Packet 40

One thing about Miami Beach Marina is the birds crapping on your boat at dusk and dawn as they make their way back and forth every day.

I would just anchor around Venetian Causeway, Sunset Lake and north of Sunset Lake by the hospital. Move every 3 or 4 weeks or when you need a pumpout.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Bill
CaptainBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2015, 12:01   #9

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Having just been obliged to spend the best part of the last two months there ourselves, we'd give another vote for that area just S of Belle Isle at the west side of Miami Beach. Plenty of space, fantastic holding (we had 35 -40 knots one day) a short dinghy ride to shops and transport links as already noted and the nearest we came to any official attention was a cheery wave and smile from the police launches as they past. It's notionally a go slow/no wake zone and most people seem to give at least a nod towards that rule, a free water tap and rubbish skips just beside the police dock on the north side of the bridge and propane exchanges, gas & diesel from a fuel station about 1.5 miles up and immediately beside the Collins Canal; we were even confident enough in the anchorage to leave the boat unattended for a few days.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, miami