Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2010, 17:10   #46

Boat: CT54
Corruption is a problem here and I would be lying if I was to deny that. There is no doubt that Mexico has its share of problems as does the U.S. As for the cruising grounds here in Mexico they are both beautiful and easy. Overall it is worth doing a season or maybe even two in my opinion assuming you can deal with Mexico's way of doing business. If not perhaps another cruising ground would be more suited to you.
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 17:28   #47
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
remaining in touristy areas is not an option, i cruise. i dont wallow. i dont do costco/walmart/wtf dept store anyway. i use family grown foods in mexico and i run with the locals insofar as i shop and visit with them. i see gringo and i run the other way . fast.
there is no more corruption in mexico than there is here. ours is just less obvious.
our violence-- you forgot lost angeles,noo york, and other major metropolitan areas. you forgot the deaths by automobile in usa. there are many many factoids that can prove or disprove anything you wish to prove or disprove.
anyone can make any case they want by inserting factoids as there are more of those than folks.
mexico , itself, is fine. just stay off the roads at night. dont go to places known for drug activity. donot act like a druggie and dont be flaunting your presumed wealth. you are from usa. you have boat. therefore, you are wealthy
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 19:25   #48

Boat: Buccaneer 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
mexico , itself, is fine. just stay off the roads at night.

You can say that again... Those Mexican speed bumps are huge and hard to see at night... Speeking from experience of course.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1183.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	406.0 KB
ID:	20144
Morganministry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 19:51   #49

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
We drove our family van with out five kids from Oregon to La Cruz de Huanacaxtle (Puerto Vallarta area).
The only time I felt unsafe was when we were near Phoenix, AZ and the US border on the US side.
We felt quite a bit safer when down in Mexico that we do here in our home town for the most part.
We pay no attention to the media hype - that is where they make their money - not in reporting facts.

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 20:21   #50

Boat: Bristol 34
TOPES!! My butt still hurts.
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 21:07   #51

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
On the subject of corruption, I think it's cheaper to just pay the cop in Mexico than it is to show up in court and pay your fine in Ca. I think also that the mordita when building there is probably a lot cheaper than building permits, environmental impact reports, inspection fees, etc., and I think that paying off the local official when you run a business there must be cheaper than here. I have to pay a $640.00 annual welder permit for my shop to the city, it's a $400.00 welder.

I think corruption is bad, but wrongs in the name and letter of the law can be plenty wrong as well.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 23:41   #52

Location: Paradise (better known to most people as: Philippines)
Boat: 65' Custom Steel Ketch
I don't mind honest corruption. When the guy wearing the badge just tells you it's got to be however much money to get out of it, and you're out of it, that is acceptable to me.

At least, it's more acceptable than many of the things we deal with in the US of A. "It's not personal, sir." Yeah, heard that before...Why do they only say that when they're about to try to ruin your life? Oh well, I should probably unsubscribe from this thread.

Bottom line: Mexico is fine. There are nasty areas, and there are beautiful, peaceful areas. Stay away from the former, and live in the latter. It's pretty much that simple.
NotQuiteLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 10:01   #53

Mexico sucks! Although, I should preface that with saying I only go to the touristy areas. Every time I am down there I am dodging rip offs at every turn. It seems like the Mexicans have given up on offering a fair product or service at a fair price. If you even see a cop you have to run the other way or you'll get the usual "being white" tax. I, and most of the people I know, are done with Mexico. It's not just the media reporting it. There is something terribly wrong there. How's that for some useless ranting?
luv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 10:18   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2 View Post
Mexico sucks! Although, I should preface that with saying I only go to the touristy areas. Every time I am down there I am dodging rip offs at every turn. It seems like the Mexicans have given up on offering a fair product or service at a fair price. If you even see a cop you have to run the other way or you'll get the usual "being white" tax. I, and most of the people I know, are done with Mexico. It's not just the media reporting it. There is something terribly wrong there. How's that for some useless ranting?
you been ging to the wrong places,mon. why go to another place that is foriegn and sit with the same folks left in usa ?? doesnt make sense to me.
when i go away i go away--leave usa behind and get into the new area and study and make friends and enjoy the place for what it is-- not usa!!! but the usa folks have to come to places and turn that place into a mini neighborhood they left.. go figger--- not fun to visit. look wealthy and pay the tax.
Old 15-10-2010, 10:38   #55
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Nobody goes there anymore as the marinas, anchorages, and palapas are too crowded.
Interesting logic. If nobody goes there anymore, then how does it get so crowded?
Old 15-10-2010, 10:46   #56

Boat: Bristol 34
Unerstanding meaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Interesting logic. If nobody goes there anymore, then how does it get so crowded?
Google "tongue in cheek"
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 10:51   #57

Boat: CT54
Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
On the subject of corruption, I think it's cheaper to just pay the cop in Mexico than it is to show up in court and pay your fine in Ca. I think also that the mordita when building there is probably a lot cheaper than building permits, environmental impact reports, inspection fees, etc., and I think that paying off the local official when you run a business there must be cheaper than here. I have to pay a $640.00 annual welder permit for my shop to the city, it's a $400.00 welder.

I think corruption is bad, but wrongs in the name and letter of the law can be plenty wrong as well.
You got that right!
At least corruption is available to everyone in Mexico you have to be really rich to bribe officials in the US but no mistake corruption exists there too just not at a level most of us can afford to take advantage of.
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2010, 11:03   #58

many of those who sail to mexico from kali decide they dont want to sail uphill back bashing like clowns and soaking cold-- so they leave their boats in mexico with intention of... wtf... usually these boats go neglected then try to sell in 5 yrs. they take marina space and dry storage space until the locals tire of it and sell the boats. usually with the owners permission.
so..... want marina space??? lol... i dont.
marinas mean more gringos. yukkkk. tired of that. lemme see a place wherein we are not such a huge influence on the culture and economy. these places are becoming rarer and more isolated as folks ovrrun the "cool" places their friends brag on having been...
Old 16-10-2010, 21:10   #59

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiepitts View Post
We have been living in Mexico continuously for the past year and although I am not walking around with rose colored glasses I feel that for the most part Mexico is much safer than the US news media and many of the US citizens would have us believe. It really is a shame that the U.S. media has most of its people convinced that Mexico is war zone because it simply is not true. I guess some people are meant to think for themselves and others prefer to have others think for them.
I guess it really depends on who you talk to, and where in Mexico we're talking about. I was asking my dental hygienist the other day who is an American Mexican, how her extended family down in a small village in some part of Mexico are doing during this economy. She told me work is not good for the average person just like on our side of the border, and there is a general unrest in that area about the gangs...although conditions are better than they used to be. She said while people in the village are not everly freaked out by right now, they still have a tendency to look over their shoulders periodically. According to her confidence is not high.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2010, 21:14   #60

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover88 View Post
I can't speak to visitng on a boat, but have driven the length and breath of Mexico on three seperate occasions. I loved it and hated it at the same time. It's a gorgious country and most folks are very friendly. Even the scores of corrupt cops, which one encounters daily along the roads, are pleasant and not overly greedy.

You are obviously conversent with Mexico's firearm's regulations. Only criminals have guns in Mexico and many of those criminals wear government uniforms. Do not be caught in Mexico with a gun!

Violence aside, I will give Mexico a miss for the forseeable future. The pervasive culture of corruption is enough reason to bypass Mexico for more friendly and accomodating climes.

Shame, for despite the negatives I really did enjoy the place.
An excellant reason for the US to allow its citizens to own guns. Our fore Fathers knew the results of a nation where only one side was allowed to be armed.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety