Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-04-2011, 06:56   #1
Marine Service Provider

Mexico and Further South!

Is it a bad idea to go this time of year?
I'm already in Miami, and not planning on heading North, so hurricanes are already going to be an issue...at least in my Northern, never really experienced one mind.

Any good hurricane holes down there...even if it involves going a little further South?

What's internet like down there? Is it possible to pick up Wi-fi from on the hook?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but that's it for now.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:53   #2
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Re: Mexico and Further South!

Rio Dulce, Guatamala comes to mind. I have a friend who just sailed there a couple of weeks ago from Mexico.

Here is an email he sent me -

Iīm presently in Frontersas, which is at the southwest end of Golfete lake, or end of the river so to speak. My boat is still in Texan Bay. I road up with a couple of friends on thier 50īcat. I needed to scout prices for getting a paint job, and a marina. Paint price isnīt that much better than House of Boats, but still negotiating. Found a marina that I like, and will go back down the river Wednesday, and bring the boat back up Thursday morning. Yes itīs safe here, you just have to use common sense, and lock your dingy up. Texan Bay you can leave your money laying out overnight, very safe, but Fronteras is the big city here, and its got a few thieves. Itīs incredibly beautiful here, pretty much jungle. Monkeys, parrots, ect. I plan on staying down here threw hurricane season, then not sure where I might head. Well, will close for now, but will keep you updated. The internet is good here in Fronteras. Oh by the way, Iīm sitting at a table on the second story of a local hotel-marina cafe, that is open air like most here, lookin out over the water and boats having just finished an order of good biscuits and gravy. This place is owned by a Texan from Rockport. The same guy who with his wife started Texan Bay.

------------------------------------------------------------------

If you would like more info, send me a pm and I'll get you in touch with my friend.

Ralph

RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:18   #3

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

RTB, thanks for sharing. Still dreaming
Old 12-04-2011, 10:24   #4
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnorv View Post
RTB, thanks for sharing. Still dreaming
I suppose most of us here do a lot of dreaming. The trick is not to dream our lives away.
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 08:15   #5
Marine Service Provider

Ok, next question. Weather. How do I get it, what services to use?

I've really just been using the VHF...and eve more so, NOAA, Windfinder, Windalert, and Sailflow. But this will be my first time that far off shore, and my first time cruising out of the US.
Old 21-04-2011, 04:59   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins

I just brought my sailboat back from Rio Dulce Guatemala to Florida. I took it to Rio Dulce in 2009 and left it there for the 2010 hurricane season. Rio Dulce is good hurricane hole because its 20 miles from the sea and protected by mountains. Also, the people are friendly and its cheap but lock your dinghy at all times.

On the way back we stopped in Puerto Morelos Mexico about 30 miles south of Cancun. Its one of the best places I have visited. You can stay at the El Cid marina on a mooring ball for $12/night and get to use the facilities of the resort (pool, hot tub, exercise room, internet) for free. The local town has some good and inexpensive (if you look around) restaurants. Ended up staying there 5 weeks.

Probably your first stop will be Isla Mujeres Mexico, unless you are brave or like me non-American, in which case you can stop Cuba. I crossed from Marathon to Varadero Cuba and then to Marina Hemingway near Havana then stopped at the west end of Cuba before crossing to Isla.

As for weather information we downloaded the Passage Weather seven day forecast files before we left and updated them whenever we had internet, which was quite often. Also I subscribed to the grib files from Saildocs (http://www.saildocs.com/) and had it emailed to me via my satellite phone (which I avoided using because of the roaming charges until I got near Florida).

It was great trip.
Old 23-04-2011, 12:23   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiggins View Post
Rio Dulce is good hurricane hole because its 20 miles from the sea and protected by mountains. Also, the people are friendly and its cheap but lock your dinghy at all times.
I'm in Miami, so I already need to lock it.

Thanks! You're mentioning a lot of the same places, and check in as a friend on fb who's done the trip before. I also plan on spending a fair amount of time near Tulum, since I have friends there.

What did you use for internet? Were you able to get Wi-fi off of Cuba? Or did you use your phone?
Old 23-04-2011, 15:04   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins

No we didn't have internet at sea just at the main ports where we either found a free unprotected service using my wifi antenna or we took the computer ashore and usually found a bar or restauarnt that had internet.

At sea we got just email on the satellite phone. In Cuba at Marina Hemingway we had to go to the hotel that is beside the marina and they charged $5 for 30 minutes and the connection was very slow.

I didn't stop in Tulum but I heard its not protected so probably not a good anchorage to spend a long time. We were able to travel around quite easily (and cheaply) by bus from Puerto Morelos.
Old 23-04-2011, 18:32   #9

Boat: Bristol 32

hey, any of you guys gone further south? Im trying to get information about wind and weather conditions headed from cartagenia, colombia to Aruba. Anyone done this trip? i hear its called the impossible route, due to the prevailing tradewinds.

Tags
Mexico, mexico

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: