Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2017, 11:05   #1

Boat: C&C 37/CB
Medium Term Storage in USVI or BVIs

Looking at summer storage (6 months) - preferably on the hard in the Virgin Islands.

Would like budget storage and DIY privileges...

Any recommendations welcome.

- Tasso
Tasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 11:43   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41
Re: Medium Term Storage in USVI or BVIs

There is no budget storage. Independent boat yard on St Thomas is the only place you are going to get DIY they are probably full. BVI now requires a work permit to wash your own boat once it has been hauled. Nanny Cay is full you can probably get in at Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbor.

Good luck.
captainjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 12:15   #3

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

I would take a couple of days tho run to St. Kitts and put the boat in the ground, much safer than up on sticks. Price is half of BVI and no issue with DIY.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 13:09   #4

Boat: Jeanneau SO 34.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonc View Post
I would take a couple of days tho run to St. Kitts and put the boat in the ground, much safer than up on sticks. Price is half of BVI and no issue with DIY.
Please forgive my ignorance, but what does "put the boat in the ground" mean, and why St Kitts?
steffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 13:18   #5

The safest way to store a sailboat for hurricane season is for the yard to dig a hole and put the keel in it. The boat sits so low it can't fall over. When all the boats are on sticks close together, they fall like Dominos. Click image for larger version

Name:	20160815_133239.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	147956
Old 17-05-2017, 13:20   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan View Post
Please forgive my ignorance, but what does "put the boat in the ground" mean, and why St Kitts?
St Kitts has lots of capacity, very nice people run it, and they don't care if you work on your boat. The boat is safe. Cost are very reasonable.
Old 17-05-2017, 13:22   #7

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffan View Post
Rather than store boats on stands/cradles, they dig a hole for the keel and sit the boat (suitably padded/protected) 'in the ground'; much harder for the Hurricanes/T-Storms to knock over.

St Kitts is the nearest place to the USVIs/BVIs that you'll find 'budget' priced storage and they've plenty of space; St Martin's in pricey (not as outrageous as the BVIs though) but also probably fully booked for this summer by now too.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 13:40   #8

Boat: Jeanneau SO 34.2

Thanks for the replies. That's great info. I had no idea intentionally burying a boat was a thing. I've never seen it done around here. I imagine it wouldn't work out too well in the land of snow and ice.
steffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 13:41   #9

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

We have a contract to haul our boat at Independent Boat Yard in August. You can do DIY there. They fill up early. Another option is Puerto Del Rey, PR, but they fill up as well. VGYH is expanding their boat yard, but I'm not sure of their status; they bought a big new lift, but there were problems with it sinking to its hubs in the sand unloaded. The yards in St. Martin require you to drop your mast. We know people who do that every year, but it is an extra step in lay up and commissioning. There are facilities on St. Croix, but I am not familiar with them.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 08:24   #10

OK. Now we have 2 questions. If you "bury" your boat, what happens if there is a storm surge? And then how do you "unbury" your boat?
jholder51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 08:37   #11

Boat: Taswell 43

Insurance companies, at least the ones I've checked, all prefer the BoatUS-described method of storing boats-on the hard, very close together(a fender apart only), and each strapped to a continuous concrete beam that extends under the row of bows and sterns. The only place we've found that offers that is Puerto Del Rey in Fajardo, PR. Their storage yard is also chain-link fenced, under 24-hr security, protected by mangroves, and elevated and well away from the water. Not especially budget, but the safest we've found so far.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 10:53   #12

Boat: Shannon 38

there is only one yard on St Croix and it is very expensive
Joyful Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 11:38   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjay View Post
There is no budget storage. Independent boat yard on St Thomas is the only place you are going to get DIY they are probably full. BVI now requires a work permit to wash your own boat once it has been hauled. Nanny Cay is full you can probably get in at Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbor.

Good luck.
Actually, they have the work permit fiasco sorted, to some extent. You can't bring in workers, without their having work permits.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 07:13   #14

Boat: Shannon 43 Ketch

To answer the question of digging in the keel. The land is above the flood plain probably and the hole is only slightly wider and deeper than your keel. The boat physically cannot fall over. Also, being lower to the ground, probably has better wind protection than up on stands where it's very exposed. The gent suggesting St. Kitts seems right on the money - thanks for that tip and will definitely keep that in mind my next trip.
'87 Shannon 43' Ketch
svMarite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BVI, storage