Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2017, 13:08   #1

Maybe Wrong Forum . . . Questions re: ICW

I'm wondering about the ICW. Thinking of possible purchase of a boat in NY but would like to move it to West side of Florida. Never done this before. How many days, roughly, does it take, and assuming that it is do-able, I'm assuming it's under power all the way, is that correct? Thanks for any info. Much appreciated!
1churchmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 17:15   #2

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Maybe Wrong Forum . . . Questions re: ICW

Of course it's doable. As for how many days, figure out the distance, then figure out how fast you want to go, figure out how many hours you want to travel in a day and do the math. Figure a few extra days for weather delays.
Old 25-08-2017, 19:58   #3

Boat: islandpacket

You should not do this at night. In fall you have shorter days.
Great trip, enjoy it and take your time. I would take at least 60 days. I get tired running all day every day and need break. But that's me.
Old 25-08-2017, 21:57   #4

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1churchmouse View Post
I'm wondering about the ICW. Thinking of possible purchase of a boat in NY but would like to move it to West side of Florida. Never done this before. How many days, roughly, does it take, and assuming that it is do-able, I'm assuming it's under power all the way, is that correct? Thanks for any info. Much appreciated!
Would you like to perhaps give us a clue as to what kind of boat, water draft, air draft, speed you intend to go?

The trip is done all the time but how and the time are dependent on information we don't have.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 22:45   #5

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

Yes, we need to know the height of masts (if any) because of bridges you will encounter regardless of route, the draft of the vessel in question (as there are additional ways of making it across the state via Okachobee, once you are in South Florida that could save you some time, if that is an issue), and what sort of tech you will be bringing can even help (especially in the inlets, where the sand bars can be quite challenging, such as the Matanzas Inlet where currents and shoaling can play hell with power boats, let alone a sailboat or even a trawler, during tidal changes and low tides or after storms).

Also, are you wanting to sample the hospitality along the way, visit things, see sights (all takes time), or are you wanting to anchor as you go? Using marinas? Some places don't allow anchoring, though you can usually find someplace.

This is a little like "How much is a house?" The answer depends on where specifically said structure is located, whether the potential pool is heated, and if it is installed on the third floor....or second... or not...

I brought Equinox (then named Bonus) from Daytona, up the ICW to the St. John's River Inlet (Jacksonville), then upriver to Palatka, Florida, over the course of about 4 days, but we fished along the way, stopped for fuel and parts along the way, had lunch at Jacksonville Landing plus another place along the Beach Boulevard Marina, anchored out a couple nights, used a marina in St. Augustine (near Vilano) one night, and had a real fun time overall. It would be similar to making the run from Jacksonville to maybe Miami or a little farther, considering our stops and three inches of barnacles and sponges on the hull. Bad weather along the way did not help.

Was sure fun, though! I highly suggest you try such a thing, because it can be fun as heck even if you make some minor mistakes.

On edit: We made the trip in April of last year, if that helps?
Save
SailingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 08:23   #6

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:

There are many variables:
You cannot travel at night, tides can affect speed and depth in some places such that some days you might only be underway for 4-5hrs/day, good days 10hrs. Bridge openings cause delays.
Why not just enjoy the journey and not worry about the destination.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 08:34   #7

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

Quote:
I've done "The ditch" more times than I want to think about and my best advice is to go offshore and take a more or less direct line to your destination or the nearest inlet. The ditch is torturous and slow going. The depth is supposed to hold a minimum of about nine feet and I have grounded right in the middle of the channel with a four foot draft! Time wise, offshore about 3-5 days in a sailboat, at least another 10-15 days via the ditch depending on day length. It is not smart to run the ditch at night unless you are very familiar with it. If you come down offshore remember to avoid the "stream" you can get the location daily from NOAA. Both routes have advantages and disadvantages. If you and your crew are not experienced, take the ditch!
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 08:45   #8

We did the trip from St. Petersburg to Lake Ontario taking 38 days with only 3 of those being lay days. I think the blog is still up if you wish to check it out. We watched the last game of the Stanley Cup Finals anchored in the Georgia swamp.
ICWW Trip - Tampa Bay to Lake Ontario
Brian
BrianGJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 09:01   #9

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
I've done "The ditch" more times than I want to think about and my best advice is to go offshore and take a more or less direct line to your destination or the nearest inlet. The ditch is torturous and slow going. The depth is supposed to hold a minimum of about nine feet and I have grounded right in the middle of the channel with a four foot draft! Time wise, offshore about 3-5 days in a sailboat, at least another 10-15 days via the ditch depending on day length. It is not smart to run the ditch at night unless you are very familiar with it. If you come down offshore remember to avoid the "stream" you can get the location daily from NOAA. Both routes have advantages and disadvantages. If you and your crew are not experienced, take the ditch!
I too have done the ICW many times, usually a combination of inside and outside depending on weather and tide, and single handed.
For sure invest in SeaTow or Boat US, you'll need it.
I'm confused with a few references to night passage making on the ICW? Have they changed the rules, because only commercial vessels were permitted.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 09:02   #10

Boat: Caliber 38

Quote:
You are correct in your assumption that you will motor all the way. The navigable "channel" is narrow. We have found that our average distance in a day is about 50 miles. There are days we have done more but other days are less as we try to plan the next stop to some anchorage or sometimes marinas. There is also free overnight docking in several areas. Nice when you want to re provision on fresh produce and bread.
The ICW can be very beautiful when you are in the rivers but boring on the man made portions
Take you time and visit the many towns and villages along the way. There is a lot of history and great restaurants. Its interesting and a nice break from the motoring monotony.
Old 26-08-2017, 10:01   #11

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

NYC to Miami is about 1000 miles. If you are talking a sailboat under power 50 miles per day is a reasonable average, so 20 days. Cutting through Florida using the Okachobee canal adds a few more days so figure 3-4 weeks of travel. Of course, for a larger boat you might make better time but have to worry about draft and mast height. IMO mast over 55' or draft over 5' makes the ICW a poor choice. There are many good ICW cruising guides available to help you plan fuel, provisioning or sightseeing stops as well as overnights.
What I do not understand is why you would shop for a boat in NY rather than Florida?
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 10:06   #12

Another opinion, truck it. Mast will be down, so you can do any work on it that you wish before restepping it, you can do any bottom work that might need to be done, including new bottom paint. Yes, you lose a very nice trip and you will gain a lot of knowledge along the way but unless you have oodles of time and unlimited money for stops along the way and unexpected breakdowns, waiting for parts etc. I would choose the truck route. Skipper Shipper is who I would use, he is based in Stuart Fl. He hauled my Cape Dory 31 and did a great job and was reasonable. Just a thought.
wizard1_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 10:27   #13

Boat: Hunter 37c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
NYC to Miami is about 1000 miles. If you are talking a sailboat under power 50 miles per day is a reasonable average, so 20 days. Cutting through Florida using the Okachobee canal adds a few more days so figure 3-4 weeks of travel. Of course, for a larger boat you might make better time but have to worry about draft and mast height. IMO mast over 55' or draft over 5' makes the ICW a poor choice. There are many good ICW cruising guides available to help you plan fuel, provisioning or sightseeing stops as well as overnights.
What I do not understand is why you would shop for a boat in NY rather than Florida?
I tried to buy a used boat in Florida and spent more money looking, than it was worth. I also feel that a better boat for less is usually available north of the hurricane line. If you live in Florida or believe the agents, go for it. For my money if you buy a boat where you live you can hold out for a better choice and view more choices.
The destination is only a small part of the journey.
nautitrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 10:49   #14

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard1_us View Post
Another opinion, truck it. Mast will be down, so you can do any work on it that you wish before restepping it, you can do any bottom work that might need to be done, including new bottom paint. Yes, you lose a very nice trip and you will gain a lot of knowledge along the way but unless you have oodles of time and unlimited money for stops along the way and unexpected breakdowns, waiting for parts etc. I would choose the truck route. Skipper Shipper is who I would use, he is based in Stuart Fl. He hauled my Cape Dory 31 and did a great job and was reasonable. Just a thought.
I don't understand! If you have a boat that is capable, why would you put it on a truck and drive it instead of sailing it? You miss one of the greatest adventures you can imagine. Perhaps you should consider a motor home instead of of a boat.
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2017, 11:46   #15

Thanks very much for all of the great information and suggestions! I'm going to look at a *56* year old boat next week! It's listed here. It's a 1961 Rhodes Swiftsure 33. I've only ever owned a Tanzer and that was only for 2 or 3 summers, so I know I have a lot to learn. Thanks again!
1churchmouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw, rum