Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2016, 05:11   #1

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Martinique - Grenada Suggestions

I plan to help a friend move his new to him Lagoon 38 from Martinique to Grenada in May. Planning an island hoping route. Any suggestions on destinations, anchorages appreciated. He plans to do a minor refit in Grenada so recommendations on yards, chandleries, shipping/importation appreciated.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 17:23   #2
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Martinique - Grenada Suggestions

We will likely be doing the same at the same time so catch up for a enroute. We usually skip st Vincent and st Lucia and spend more time around the grenadines, bequia, carriacou etc. salt whistle bay in mayrau is a must stop. Haul outs in Grenada are Grenada marine or the new clarkes court marina. Both around $20/day plus a few hundred to haul. It's all short hops so you can do it at your lesuire. Once you are around Tobago keys it's a day sail to Grenada so you can stay there a while and keep an eye on the weather for storms/insurance. Port Louis marina in Grenada is nice as well for staying in the water, around $30/day.
If you decide to do it in shorter hops stop the night in Rodney bay, st Lucia and chateaubouler in st Vincent and wait to check in in bequia or check in in chateaubouler. I'd rather spend more time anchored around Union island and the grenadines than in the other islands en route. Stock up on wine and pretty much everything in Martinique as its all less available and more expensive south. Nice French wine in Martinique is around €5/ bottle and the same is $25 in Grenada.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 19:08   #3

Sounds great, thanks for the info.

Will unfortunately be a short visit, tentatively May 5 - 19, but at least long enough that its not just a delivery.

You in the area around those dates?
Old 17-04-2016, 19:39   #4
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes, we will be anchored at st Anne, Le Marin on the 5th and heading south shortly afterwards.
Old 17-04-2016, 19:44   #5
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We will likely do a 70M day sail down to chateaubouler, stop the night and head down to bequia to check in the next morning. From there it's 10-20M hops to Grenada and the nicest cruising and anchoring areas. Wind will be 20kn easterly..perfect for 7-8kn averages on the L380
Old 18-04-2016, 08:29   #6

Unless it's improved recently I wouldn't recommend staying in Chateaubelair. There have been some nasty attacks there in the past.

Cumberland Bay is a slightly better option (but you have to clear in at Chateaubelair)
ian_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 04:51   #7

Aside from Chateaubouler, any other locations where security is an issue?

Edit: Wow, reading thru noonsite, looks like there are plenty of places along this route with security issues. Maybe its easier to ask, where are security issues less likely?
Old 19-04-2016, 05:41   #8

When you read through all the incidents it is a bit daunting, but the reality is that anything serious is pretty rare. Petty theft is a big problem (dinghy, outboards etc) and you do have to be vigilant.

The boat boys that "help" you moor or whatever can be worrying as well, but they seem to be mostly OK if you ply them with beer.

I wouldn't stay overnight at Chateaubelair, but have stayed in Cumberland Bay and that was OK (but a bit scary). Wallibalou is also OK overnight (or at least was - it's been a couple of years since I was in the area). Southern end of the island is also OK. I don't think there are any particular blackspots further south (Port Elisabeth is a little dodgy), but all the way down to Grenada you have to be careful (except on Mustique - that seems safe if rolly).

In compensation there are many wonderful anchorages such as Tobago Cays (very busy), Chatham Bay on Union and many more in that area.
Old 19-04-2016, 06:28   #9
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Aside from Chateaubouler, any other locations where security is an issue?

Edit: Wow, reading thru noonsite, looks like there are plenty of places along this route with security issues. Maybe its easier to ask, where are security issues less likely?

The first safe anchorage south of le Marin Martinique is Port Elizabeth in Bequia, which is a bit far for day sails.

As a compromise, you can overnight at the north side of Rodney Bay St Lucia. Anchor just where Pigeon Island and the Sandals resort meet, keeping well clear from the beach (to keep swimmer away). I did have to repel a boarder there once but at least we weren't raped and killed like the many anchored off the beach in the SE corner.

Skip St Vincent at all cost. A good visit there is when only your dinghy gets stolen.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 06:45   #10
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We've anchored at Chateaubelair a few times. It's ok. Last year friends came over and told us they were boarded and robbed the night before so caution is advised but I wouldn't let that stop me. Maybe having a German Shepard aboard helps me sleep a little better. The worst thing about st Vincent and st Lucia is the boat boys. In the rest of the Caribbean I enjoy a chat with them, but here my experiences have been more argumentative than the usual friendly chats found elsewhere, such as Dominica and the grenadines. The one anchorage I'd skip would be canoun. It seemed there was a boarding every week there last season. Also soufriere in st Lucia is dodgy with dodgy boat boys. These are the places they tend to motor up to you a mile or so out of the bay and try to lead you to a buoy and hassle you for $$. Just say no...no...No thanks, no were ok, no...NO! It takes a few no's till they get the message. Really it's one of the main reasons we will be skipping past those spots.
On the other hand, safer anchorages I can recommend would be
St Anne in Martinique
Rodney bay (but lock your dinghy)
Bequia
Tobago keys
Mayrau - salt whistle bay. Saline is ok but there was a boarding there last year as well while charterers were out for dinner
Union island - Chatham bay, frigate island and Clifton are all good
Carriacou - sandy island and Tyrell are good
Petite st Vincent and morpion are good. Morpion has great snorkelling.
Rhonde is nice
Grenada - st Georges is good as are the south coast anchorages at prickley, hog island and calivigny. The occasional dinghy theft at st Georges and my sandles were stolen from the dinghy at the dinghy dock!
Careful with pet dogs in Tyrell and some parts of Grenada, there's a lot of poison around. It's not really safe to the a dog to Tyrell, even just on the beach..
Old 19-04-2016, 08:39   #11
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
We've anchored at Chateaubelair a few times. It's ok. Last year friends came over and told us they were boarded and robbed the night before so caution is advised but I wouldn't let that stop me.
So even your own friends have been boarded and robbed one night before you came and just because you escaped that you now recommend it as "It's ok" ? That is really hard to understand for me... or is it that being robbed and running the gauntlet is "ok" for you?

Quote:
On the other hand, safer anchorages I can recommend would be
St Anne in Martinique
Rodney bay (but lock your dinghy)
Bequia
Tobago keys
Mayrau - salt whistle bay. Saline is ok but there was a boarding there last year as well while charterers were out for dinner
Union island - Chatham bay, frigate island and Clifton are all good
Carriacou - sandy island and Tyrell are good
Petite st Vincent and morpion are good. Morpion has great snorkelling.
Rhonde is nice
Grenada - st Georges is good as are the south coast anchorages at prickley, hog island and calivigny. The occasional dinghy theft at st Georges and my sandles were stolen from the dinghy at the dinghy dock!
Not agree on Rodney Bay. Some of the most gruesome rapes, tortures and murders have happened there and cruisers are the specific target.

On Union Island, both in Chatham Bay and Frigate Island, multiple cruisers have been murdered. Clifton is okay.

The rest from your list I agree with
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 08:56   #12

The marina at Rodney Bay seemed safe enough - there are security guards patrolling. You just have to avoid the ladies of the night.

Shame about Canouan, I know it was getting worse but I always enjoyed staying there. Ditto Chatham Bay, one of my favourites.

I still think Mustique is pretty safe, but it does cost to take a mooring bouy.

Reading through this thread I'm doubting the sanity of returning myself as I was thinking of doing so soonish. Then again I've spent a fair amount of time in the area and never had a problem. Perhaps just lucky, but I'm also sure that serious problems are quite rare - just bad if it happens to you
Old 19-04-2016, 09:59   #13

Boat: Oyster 66

There's really quite a lot of poverty particularly in parts of these southern islands and more spots here that I feel uncomfortable in compared to up north. I keep it simple and avoid St Vincent and St Lucia now, maybe picking up a buoy at the Pitons if you daysail or maybe an overnight in Rodney bay.

Park next to others and leave all your deck lights on. A vigilant and street-wise attitude is needed everywhere. A shame Canouan has now problems as I don't feel intimidated there at all. I'll bet they get on top of it soon.

I'd spend most of my time in Martinique and between Carriacou and Bequia. All the main spots are good.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 10:04   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_martin View Post
The marina at Rodney Bay seemed safe enough - there are security guards patrolling.
Well, I was burgled there. By the security guards I suspect - so much use they are. They tried to extort protection money from me and to shake me down faster they constructed a break-in when I was away. I left the matter with the management to deal with. I haven't been back.
Old 19-04-2016, 10:24   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
S

On Union Island, both in Chatham Bay and Frigate Island, multiple cruisers have been murdered. Clifton is okay.
The only incident I know about is at Frigate Island, where a cruiser anchored alone was brutally and pointlessly attacked by moronic youths with a machete. They caught the attackers, who are in jail now. It shouldn't happen again there, at least not by the same vermin who did it last time.

I know of nothing and can find no records of anything happening in Chatham Bay and no murders in these places.

Tags
Grenada