Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2016, 11:13   #1

Boat: Beneteau 331
Marine Yards in Chesapeake Bay

I am intending to truck my Beneteau 331 from Toronto to Chesapeake Bay in September prior to taking the ICW to Florida and the Bahamas.

Can anyone recommend a good marine yard or yacht club on the Chesapeake that could unload the boat from the truck, launch the boat and instal the mast?

Many thanks

Peter
Peter Nicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 15:52   #2

Boat: 52' Crealock Farrington staysail schooner
Re: Marine Yards in Chesapeake Bay

The Deltaville Boatyard on the Rapahannock River in Va. can likely do all that. I hear things have changed there but worth a try. Very nice folks. Clifton Massey is there crackerjack rigger .
barnaclejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 15:55   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Deltaville Marina on Jackson Creek was my first thought too, but there are many possibilities.
Old 01-05-2016, 16:53   #4
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington

My boat is at Jabins Marina in Annapolis. Top quality, and has everything. Pricey but good
RDW
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 17:04   #5

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

Most yards can do this. In Deltaville besides the D-ville Boatyard, try Nortons, Chesapeake Boatworks in Fishing Bay, or Stingray Point Boatworks. All three of these are next to marinas of the same name, so you can dock, either remaining there or finding another place. Deltaville is at the top of the lower third of the Bay, south side of the mouth of the Rappahannock River. Going north, can get to Solomons in a day and another to Annapolis; going south, a day to Norfolk-Hampton.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 17:06   #6

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

Annapolis and Solomons are two of the largest sailing centers on the east coast with multiple boatyards that provide the service you want.
That said, since you intend to head down the ICW after launching Deltaville or boatyards in the Norfolk/Hampton area will give you a head start on the trip. I've never used any of those yards so can't make a recommendation. If you decide that Annapolis or Solomons will be your destination I could make a number of recommendations.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:41   #7

As previously noted, there are dozens if not hundreds of boatyards/marinas that can get the job done. The Annapolis area is great (though pricey), Deltaville further south in Virginia is a good deal more moderately priced (Stingray Point Boat Works does a great job of stepping your spar at a reasonable price). This being said I'll forward this recent experience: bringing my boat back north earlier this spring I developed an engine problem coming into the Neuse River from Beaufort, NC. I put into Deatons' Yacht Services in Oriental, NC to straighten things out. They (Deatons') impressed me a lot, in a really good way. I've been in (and worked in) a number of boat yards and have never seen an operation with as much talent. The trucking of your boat the additional couple of hundred miles wouldn't amount to much (I don't believe), and you'd be south of Norfolk, which I find not to be too much fun because of commercial traffic and the number of bridges that need to be opened. Whatever you decide, have a fun trip.
douglong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:00   #8

Boat: Catalac 12 M

I have used Zimmerman Marine in Deltaville and recommend them. That being said the idea of going to Oriental is what I would do.
DrDelmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:10   #9

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

When considering a location to launch and rig your boat you might also want to take into consideration the following: personal travel to the launch site from Toronto, lodging / dockage while prepping for trip, access to supplies while prepping, local transportation, access to skilled craftsman. With these things in mind I would definetly recommend Annapolis, MD and specifically either Bert Jabins or Port Annapolis Yacht Yards. JMHO
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:35   #10

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

I can second the recommendation for Deaton's in Oriental. If you're not hung up having the work done in the Chesapeake area, that would save you several days on the ICW and probably not cost that much more than the trucking cost to Deltavile or other yards in the southern bay.
If you're also not hung up on doing the ICW, it's a short run from Oriental to the Beaufort inlet and a coastal passage south.

John

Edited to Add: Of course you need to check with your trucker as distance is not the only factor in the cost. Road restrictions can add significantly to the cost. Many of the boatyards on the Chesapeake are served by 2 lane roads that may have restrictions on wide loads after dark. I believe that used to be common for Maryland roads and the yacht hauling trucks would have to stop for the night on the VA side of the Potomac. Annapolis and Solomons are served by 4-lane roads (rte 50 and 4, resp) which have exits off i-95 so should not have this problem.
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:10   #11

Boat: Swan 48 MKII

I have a Swan 48. I use York River Yacht Haven in Gloucester Point (804-642-9490). They can do all of the work you are seeking and are the nearest reliable yard to the ICW in Norfolk. Ron Austin is the Service Yard Manager. They also have a swimming pool and great restaurant on site.

I would not recommend Deltaville Boatyard at all. Zimmermans is OK but expensive. Any yards further North just lengthen your trip to Florida.
Airville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:36   #12

Boat: Hudson Force 50; 57' overall

If you're paying by the mile for the trucking, you may want to take advantage of some good yards at the northern end of the Chesapeake. I can personally recommend Tidewater Marina at the very top of the Bay where the Susquehanna River meets the Bay in the town of Havre de Grace, Maryland. On the eastern shore a little farther south, I'd recommend Haven Harbour Marina in the town of Rock Hall, Maryland.
RABenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:58   #13

I would second the suggestion of Haven Harbour Marina in Rock Hall, MD. (Yacht Repairs - Haven HarbourHaven Harbour) We have chartered from there several times and the marina has a fully equipped service facility including travellift and crane for rigging and launching. It is a large facility and I'm sure they are currently busy getting resident boats rigged and into the water so you should check with them on scheduling your arrival and required work.
The marina has excellent restroom and shower facilities as well. There is a West Marine store in the town of Rock Hall for last minute needs. Rock Hall is a small town, however and there isn't a large supermarket for major provisioning, although Chestertown, about 10 miles away has supermarkets. Also Rock Hall would be less convenient if you are flying from Toronto to meet your boat. Closest major airport is probably Philadelphia, a 2+ hour drive north. Yards in Annapolis in close proximity to BWI airport would be most convenient from that perspective.
An advantage of starting your trip from the north end of the Chesapeake is the excellent sailing the bay affords especially in the Spring through June and in the Fall (July and August can be the doldrums). And whether you prefer marina hopping or gunkholing and anchoring out, the Chesapeake has lots of options for both.
PhillyBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:33   #14

Boat: 1984 Cal 31

I recommend Wormley Creek in Yorktown, VA. Right off Interstate 64, so it makes it easy for your transporter, and it is a very friendly yard with great rates.

Plus, if you are not in a hurry (or get a surprise delay), lots to see and do (Yorktown Battlefield, Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, Mariners Museum, Air and Space Museum, Jamestown Settlement - all on peninsula. Norfolk and Virginia Beach short drive away). There is a West Marine in Hampton, and a small annex in Gloucester.

If you are in a hurry, the mouth of the Chesapeake is very close by.

Tankersteve
tankersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:02   #15

Boat: Bristol 27

Since it will already be on a truck, you may as well bring it all the way South to Cobb's Marina and Boatyard In Norfolk/Va Beach. (on Little Creek)

They do that sort of thing all the time with sail/power boats and they have two lifts

Also, the just replaced all their fixed docks with floating

cobbsmarina
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chesapeake bay, marine