Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 20:12   #1

Boat: Hunter E33
Marina Reservations

How do you all go about making reservations for slips or mornings at marinas for a cruise? For example, I have a 4 day sail to my destination each way, I would like to begin the process on setting everything up but I'm at a standstill as to where to begin.

What about contingencies for inclement weather and issues with delays? I assume that would affect every reservation made and create a mess of cancellations and re-bookings.

Not interested in anchoring out as my boat is not prepped nor am I qualified to do so.

Thanks!
GreggL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:20   #2

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'
Re: Marina reservations

Depending on where you cruise, many marinas take reservations without prepayment or credit card, but please do them the favor of calling immediately when you know you're not going to make it. The NE is busy in the summer, so it may be harder to find dockage or places that will take reservations. There may be moorings available, too. On another point, I would strongly advise you to prep yourself and your boat for anchoring (and mooring) for safety's sake...it is extremely important to be able to deploy an anchor in an emergency. Not to mention how wonderful a night at anchor in a secluded anchorage can be. Have a great cruise!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:48   #3

Thanks. I have an anchor for those purposes yet don't have enough experience to feel comfortable sleeping that way just yet.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:50   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i get to where i want to rest and use channel 16 to ask if there is room in the marina for a transient overnight and if no room in the inn i move on to somewhere else. i have yet to be turned down.
we did this in gulf of mexico also---worked fine, even with matanzas inn moorings--but one needs to telephone them, as they do not use channel 16..
smooth sailing and have fun---practice your anchoring in daylight for a while then for 24 hours then longer....you may like it more than marinas. more peaceful.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:19   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag
i get to where i want to rest and use channel 16 to ask if there is room in the marina for a transient overnight and if no room in the inn i move on to somewhere else. i have yet to be turned down.
we did this in gulf of mexico also---worked fine, even with matanzas inn moorings--but one needs to telephone them, as they do not use channel 16..
smooth sailing and have fun---practice your anchoring in daylight for a while then for 24 hours then longer....you may like it more than marinas. more peaceful.
Oh okay so you don't make any reservations and just wing it? Might be too adventurous for my blood, still new to the whole sailboat cruising world.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:34   #6

i never know where or when i will arrive so last minute is best.....i refuse to sail to schedule--i KNOW schedules are treacherous and cause damage and death--one is not able to control weather or arrival times.....
Old 02-08-2012, 08:59   #7

If you don't know how to anchor "yet" are you sure you can tie up to a dock? In a crosswind with currents? Anchoring is easier, it's only one line!

Good luck, don't plan ahead too far. You might be overthinking this trip.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 23:21   #8

Boat: C&C 35 MKIII
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail Send a message via Skype™ to chef2sail
I understand your trepidation's about anchoring as you have not yet gotten enough experience at it yet maybe, but it is actually easier than trying to dock in an unfamiliar slip surrounded by boats, piers, cross currents and winds. Some places Msy require reservations. Are moorings available? Practicing anchoring is necessary and you can do that every time you eat lunch. What type of boat and where are you located.

Dave
chef2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 23:22   #9

Boat: C&C 35 MKIII
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail Send a message via Skype™ to chef2sail
Having read your profile I see it's a Hunter 33. Where are you thinking of going.
chef2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:00   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail
Having read your profile I see it's a Hunter 33. Where are you thinking of going.
NYC to Sag Harbor. Using sag harbor as a jump off point to hit montauk and greenport while out there. August 16-labor day.
Going to try to stop in port Jeff, Stratford, and old saybrook on the way out, I'm in no rush and want to explore a bit.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:12   #11
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggL View Post
How do you all go about making reservations for slips or mornings at marinas for a cruise? For example, I have a 4 day sail to my destination each way, I would like to begin the process on setting everything up but I'm at a standstill as to where to begin.

What about contingencies for inclement weather and issues with delays? I assume that would affect every reservation made and create a mess of cancellations and re-bookings.

Not interested in anchoring out as my boat is not prepped nor am I qualified to do so.

Thanks!

I do urge calling, and ask as many questions as you can. We got a nasty surprise at Regatta Point in Bradenton not that long ago. When we arrived they wanted a THREE HUNDRED DOLLAR DEPOSIT -- against damage to their old docks!

What -- did they think their dock was a rental car in pristine shape? Personally I'll never go there again. Twin Dolphins is RIGHT across the river with none of that nonsense.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:23   #12

i found regatta point to be the exception rather than the rule when cruising fla--we didnt make any reservations beyond 15 min advance ...had no problem. i also did enjoy regatta pointe-was convenient for provisioning and pumping out--every slip has a pumpout. neighbors were very nice and helpful. provided rides to stores. awesome place.
matanzas inn moorings were done by telephone, as that is only way they do it, and we were within 10 mins of arrival.
port st joe--no notice other than calling as we entered st joseph bay...
here in mexico, no notice other than call as entering marina----came in and went into slip with guards to welcome us , as is their policy-the guards help with lines-- one is able to in high season make a reservation but mostly folks call as they arrive using channel 16 for marina and port traffic .
Old 07-08-2012, 07:32   #13

Boat: Heritage East 40
I look the phone number up in water ways guide or ActiveCaptain. I have a backup marina also in mind. Simply call ahead and make a reservation as I get close. Call in ch16 as you get close to find out where they want you.
Easy
The Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:57   #14

Thanks for the advice, I'll give that a try.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:40   #15
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggL View Post
,,,still new to the whole sailboat cruising world.
First thing, before you ever take off for a marina...LEARN HOW TO ANCHOR!!! It may save your life and the life of your crew! Force yourself to learn how, whatever it takes, but learn how to anchor! Learning to get your boat moving is only one part of sailing, getting your boat to stop is another and is equally important.

Example...you set off for a marina a day away. You're sailing on a port tack, the shore to your starboard. It's a nice day. Wind is light and abeam and you're motorsailing. Suddenly the wind picks up...a lot. Your main blows out a seam and your genny gets stuck when you try to unfurl it. You continue to motor but the motion of your boat in the seas that have built up has dislodged debris in your fuel tank and the trash has clogged your filter and shut down your motor. You're now being blown to shore with no way to stop except what??? Your anchor!

Yeah, so it's an imaginary example, but it could just as easily be true. Do yourself and your crew a favor and learn how anchor.