Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2015, 08:51   #76

Re: Marathon / Derelict Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoShoes View Post

Land cops on the other hand, too much can be found in the papers, online news outlets, killing of innocent people, recently with this Geer feller being shot with hands in the air and gun on the ground, all this property forfeiture by local cops when no crime has been committed, people just plain being robbed by police under color of law, harassment of homeless people, like the one they killed out in arizona who was living in the hills, and there is more and more if you look and stop being in denial. Read, educate yourself, and dont turn a blind eye. The police are killing people, beating them up, lying under oath, covering up their actions, making a reason to arrest someone, or causing a reason. Like the defense lawyer in California, that the cops arrested for resisting arrest. There is a video, and showed clearly there was no resisting.

The argument that this is political, no it isnt, this is actual happenings in law enforcement against the citizens who are supposed to be protected by the Constitution. That pisses me off.
This perspective is completely political, and we need to be careful that because the 1% stories reporting police as problems are the ones getting reported, that we don't start seeing those as the norm.

The stories of police officers overreaching are exaggerated. Yes, we need to keep those in check, but there is a lot more malfeasance on the criminal side than the law enforcement side.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:53   #77

Boat: Skookum 53'

Don't paint the whole of police enforcement with a bad brush because of a few bad individuals. To date I have never had to interact with any police using steroids.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:00   #78

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
This perspective is completely political, and we need to be careful that because the 1% stories reporting police as problems are the ones getting reported, that we don't start seeing those as the norm.

The stories of police officers overreaching are exaggerated. Yes, we need to keep those in check, but there is a lot more malfeasance on the criminal side than the law enforcement side.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:10   #79

Boat: cheoy lee 35 (perry)

Quote:

Stories may be imbellished, but a video recording usually shows what happened. You sir are in denial
Old 08-02-2015, 09:21   #80

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Quote:
Stories may be imbellished, but a video recording usually shows what happened. You sir are in denial
Really..
The over all amount of police vs the few issues I's minimal, and even in most of those cases if they did what they were told the issue would not have gone that far. Do what your told and if need be report it.
I can only imagine what these idiots would do if there was no law to keep them in check.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 08-02-2015, 09:33   #81

I don't know? I've had the wildlife officer come by my dock in a Boston Whaler and stop and shoot the **** with me, left his card. The local cops have come by my house at night and left a note asking if I knew a proximity light wasn't working, or the SLED agent that stopped me to let me know my tail lights where out. Told me to run with the caution flashers till I got to work.

Damn these must be awful people.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:38   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
Really..
The over all amount of police vs the few issues I's minimal, and even in most of those cases if they did what they were told the issue would not have gone that far. Do what your told and if need be report it.
I can only imagine what these idiots would do if there was no law to keep them in check.

Citizens not idiots, protected under the us constitution from illegal search and seizures. Unlawful detainment vwhere no crime has been commited. Requiring people to show id, when it clearly states that that freedom of movement shall not be infringed, nor is it a requirement to show your papers. So the police resorts to intimidation.

Another in denial.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:56   #83
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Ok, so are we to understand that the LEO had gotten a ride in the pumpout boat? If so, it's highly unlikely that the LEO was USCG or FWC since those organizations have their own boats, and lots of them.

That leaves us with the Monroe County Sheriff's Department or the City of Marathon Police Department (assuming there is such an organization).

I find it curious that a LEO would ride out in the pumpout boat to look at just one boat unless there was some prior reason. Perhaps the pumpout boat driver wasn't told everything?

We'll probably never know unless the boat's owner tells us what it was about.
The pumpout boat guy keeps tabs on every boat in the harbor. He records date and time of pumpouts, even how many gallons were pumped. I'm sure he knows when each boat arrives, and how long it's been there. Also, there is (at least when we were there) a sheriffs (?) boat on a lift there at the city marina dock. I'm sure those guys get updates from the office, if they want it. Boot key is pretty tight about what goes on there. Dinghys all have lights when running at night, everyone displays an anchor light, and so on. We were never harassed by LEO's during the 2 months we stayed there, and never saw any problems on other boats, but doesn't mean it doesn't happen from time to time.

Ralph
Old 08-02-2015, 10:21   #84

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Quote:
Citizens not idiots, protected under the us constitution from illegal search and seizures. Unlawful detainment vwhere no crime has been commited. Requiring people to show id, when it clearly states that that freedom of movement shall not be infringed, nor is it a requirement to show your papers. So the police resorts to intimidation.

Another in denial.
In assessing appropriate objectives and priorities for police service, local communities should initially recognize that most police agencies are currently given responsibility, by design or default, to:

(a) identify criminal offenders and criminal activity and, where appropriate, to apprehend offenders and participate in subsequent court proceedings;

(b) reduce the opportunities for the commission of some crimes through preventive patrol and other measures;

(c) aid individuals who are in danger of physical harm;

(d) protect constitutional guarantees;

(e) facilitate the movement of people and vehicles;

(f) assist those who cannot care for themselves;

(g) resolve conflict;

(h) identify problems that are potentially serious law enforcement or governmental problems;

(i) create and maintain a feeling of security in the community;

(j)) promote and preserve civil order; and

(k) provide other services on an emergency basis.

This is just a few outlined tasks we give the police to uphold to keep the citizens safe from law breakers based on there assessment at the time. If you feel you have been wronged there are routes to take if you haven't I'm sure you have not had any issues or you were doing something wrongs as almost all the cases.
As in this cases in sure he did something wrong and if you want that law changed than get your group together and petition to have it changed. Of course it's easier to just complain.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:53   #85

Quote:

Another in denial.
Bull ****.I would have to think someone with that prospective had either done something wrong or put them selves in the wrong place at the wrong time. A yes sir how can I help you goes a long way, even if the sir is half your age. Showing ID, is that a problem, Oh you don't have a drivers license?
Old 08-02-2015, 11:15   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
Really..

Thats a very disturbing statement. Which adds a little insight of your mindset. Unless under lawful detainment, arrest, or a possible safety concern, a citizen does NOT have to do what he is told. A LEO can ask, request, mention, but cannot tell a citizen what to do.

Quote:
Bull ****.I would have to think someone with that prospective had either done something wrong or put them selves in the wrong place at the wrong time. A yes sir how can I help you goes a long way, even if the sir is half your age. Showing ID, is that a problem, Oh you don't have a drivers license?
Good thing people dont pay you to think.

I would love to stay and chat, but I just got my Thrane & Thrane Sailor FB500 delivered by the UPS dude and I am anxious to install it. WOOT WOOT!!!!
Old 08-02-2015, 11:25   #87
CLOD

Boat: none

I check into the thread to see if maybe we can find out what really happened and what the ticket was for. Because that is something maybe of interest for a cruiser to know about.

But I can pretty much predict what is instead going to happen if the anti-govt type of posts keep going on.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:30   #88

I'm guessing the OP is a product of the 50 or 60s. Woodstock maybe. That is in jest.
Wish I knew what his bitch was with law enforcement. I'm just glad someone will take that thankless job.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:35   #89

Quote:

But on the other hand we should not allow for that 1% of bad apples to keep contaminating the work of other 99%. Otherwise it'll spread like a virus and will keep eroding the society's confidence in our LE crowd. For me it is not even an issue of "bad cops" but the wholesale change in attitude by LE which I have noticed in the past 20-30 years. It is not "to serve and protect" now as much as "you're all perps or potential perps anyway so follow the orders or I'll shoot to kill". Not to mention and now deep ingrained (and understandable) desire to CYA instead of solving problems. Which creates a deep seated view by LE of Joe Citizen trying to exercise his or her Constitutional rights as a pest who prevents the cops from doing their job. When in fact a major portion of their job (at least theoretically) is precisely the protection of our Constitutional rights for all of us, including our right to be free from unreasonable intrusions by authorities of all kind.

I see most of the divide in society concerning people's opinions of cops and authority in general to be ingrained along socio-economic lines. Those from lilly white well-to-do suburbs tend to view LE overhelmingly as a positive force which protects them. Those from less fortunate neighborhoods have quite different, more negative view, based on their life long experience and often personal knowledge which is more intimate and certainly quite different than their lilly white neighbors' experiencences. Same with courts, gov't in general, etc.

As they say "a conservative is a liberal who was mugged and a liberal is a conservative whose child was falsely accused of a crime".
Old 08-02-2015, 11:45   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
But on the other hand we should not allow for that 1% of bad apples to keep contaminating the work of other 99%. Otherwise it'll spread like a virus and will keep eroding the society's confidence in our LE crowd. For me it is not even an issue of "bad cops" but the wholesale change in attitude by LE which I have noticed in the past 20-30 years. It is not "to serve and protect" now as much as "you're all perps or potential perps anyway so follow the orders or I'll shoot to kill". Not to mention and now deep ingrained (and understandable) desire to CYA instead of solving problems. Which creates a deep seated view by LE of Joe Citizen trying to exercise his or her Constitutional rights as a pest who prevents the cops from doing their job. When in fact a major portion of their job (at least theoretically) is precisely the protection of our Constitutional rights for all of us, including our right to be free from unreasonable intrusions by authorities of all kind.

I see most of the divide in society concerning people's opinions of cops and authority in general to be ingrained along socio-economic lines. Those from lilly white well-to-do suburbs tend to view LE overhelmingly as a positive force which protects them. Those from less fortunate neighborhoods have quite different, more negative view, based on their life long experience and often personal knowledge which is more intimate and certainly quite different than their lilly white neighbors' experiencences. Same with courts, gov't in general, etc.

As they say "a conservative is a liberal who was mugged and a liberal is a conservative whose child was falsely accused of a crime".
Get off the socio-economic line crap.
Closed Thread