Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2015, 15:35   #16
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Re: Marathon / Derelict Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
details of the citation would need to be known.
True. Thinking about it, did the LEO's board the boat? Maybe checked his Y-valve. Pump outs aren't free to anchored boats there. Maybe no anchor light? Or, anchored too close to the mooring field? What else would they bust him for? The OP should go ask the guy.

Ralph
Old 05-02-2015, 15:35   #17

Boat: cheoy lee 35 (perry)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Just a thought, but I would think before making a bunch of crazies anti-LEO posts details of the citation would need to be known.
Remember Life Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness? You probably would of called The Boston Tea Party patriots a bunch of crazies.

This poor dude down on his luck for whatever reason, probably to broke to move or has no where else to go. All he has it that little boat to keep out of the rain and bugs, and provide some security to his person while he sleeps. Gets slapped with a citation. The government wants what little he has left, just to put him out like a cigarette butt on the pavement.
Old 05-02-2015, 15:43   #18
RTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoShoes View Post
Remember Life Liberty and Pursuit of Happiness? You probably would of called The Boston Tea Party patriots a bunch of crazies.

This poor dude down on his luck for whatever reason, probably to broke to move or has no where else to go. All he has it that little boat to keep out of the rain and bugs, and provide some security to his person while he sleeps. Gets slapped with a citation. The government wants what little he has left, just to put him out like a cigarette butt on the pavement.
He should move the boat away from the Keys if that is the case (if he can). He'd probably be happy anchored out with plenty of other friendly liveaboards in Boca Ciega Bay, in Gulfport, Florida. It was hassle-free when we were there last year.

Ralph
Old 05-02-2015, 15:45   #19
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:

So what? I fail to see what this has to do with anything really.
Old 05-02-2015, 16:00   #20

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Maybe that's what he was cited for. Anyone who would yell that at the Coasties that are giving him the citation may very well have been giving them some "attitude" while they were checking him out. Like any good LEOs, the Coasties can always find something to cite you for, if you give them a reason to want to.
Oh no... he was not on the boat when the cops stopped by.

I could not tell if the police was the local Marathon police or the FWC. It looked like an FWC uniform but I was too busy polishing my stainless and averting my eyes as to not appear as a target to notice

No, the police did not board his boat. Only has the pumpout boat circle around and look at the boat from the outside. The only time the boat was boarded is when he put the notice on the companionway. However, I did notice that on return, the owner immediately put on his wetsuit and jumped over the side. Not sure what he was doing because I did not see him cleaning the bottom.

I guess the more important question is why the boat in front of me, that has no name, no hailing port, no numbers, no nothing on it except detritus and a hole in the keel did not get a ticket. Maybe they already have proceedings against them.
Old 05-02-2015, 16:08   #21

Boat: Bristol 29

Does the boat have a current registration sticker?
Old 05-02-2015, 16:12   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun and Moon View Post
Does the boat have a current registration sticker?
I don't know... I'll look in a few days once this weather blows through. Not getting off until then!
Old 05-02-2015, 17:16   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

You do get they 4" chop in boot key in a strong blow!

Personally I'm glad they're doing something. Maybe send them to Cocoa. I saw 8 sailboats there with no mast and some had tarps, etc up as tents. 2 were on the short term tie dock for several days I was there and no doubt for months while LEO was trying to figure out who might have to lift a finger. Also 3-4 sunk boats easily reachable with a crane.

I suppose the city prefers this to a certain extent as by doing nothing to enforce existing laws they can make a huge power grab and ban all anchoring at some point soon.
Old 05-02-2015, 17:43   #24

Quote:
Can I have a hundred bucks so I don't lose my house? I have to pay alimony and I can't afford the house and alimony........If I don't get it, I'll end up on the street and its the middle of winter....Bbbrrrrrr.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:44   #25

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
zboss -
Which law enforcement agency was it that issued the citation?
Suspect it was the Florida water cops. Otherwise known as the fish and wildlife people. They seem to be very money hungry especially in the keys.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:44   #26

Boat: William Atkin Cutter

Haven't made it to Marathon yet, but have had had two encounters with Florida Marine LEO's along the panhandle. No real problems and no violations or citations just their, from the get go, apparent negative attitude. Must be a prerequisite for employment with that agency.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 06-02-2015, 10:02   #27

Five of my eight "neighbor" boats have ripped sails flogging in the wind. One is generally clean and nice looking but the US flag he is flying is shredded. IMO, he should be asked to dispose of that flag.

The first boat with the barrel next to me did not get a citation. The small boat did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3164.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	410.0 KB
ID:	96722   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3166.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	96723  

Old 06-02-2015, 10:45   #28

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
zboss -
Which law enforcement agency was it that issued the citation?
A great question CG or law enforcement bashing stinks. Might just be a matter of asking about it.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:48   #29
RTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post

The first boat with the barrel next to me did not get a citation. The small boat did.
Useless, unless you know why the small boat got a citation....

Ralph
Old 06-02-2015, 10:56   #30

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Today, the po po was here checking around for derelict boats, but only those on anchor apparently.

Oddly, the one guy I saw cited was in a small boat where the hull needs painting and in general needs a lot of work but is anchored well, removed the sails (as you should if you are going to not be using them for a long time), and generally keeps his boat very clean.

The boat in front of me literally has junk (I can't identify the what most of it is but its not nautical in nature - one is a 50 gallon barrel with holes in it) strewn about on deck and a rudder with a big hole it (amongst other issues) and they did not get a ticket.

I don't get it.
Looking at your pic. there appears to be a tender astern on the larger. That might mean someone was onboard so derelict may not apply. I'm in no way defending the condition of either boat just possibly the issuing entity.
Closed Thread