Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2015, 11:55   #91

Re: Marathon / Derelict Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Get off the socio-economic line crap.
Well, knowing a person's "socio-economic" background helps me right away to ID his or her views on LE.

PS Your comment only shows me that I am correct.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:55   #92

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

[QUOTE=NoShoes;1744398]Thats a very disturbing statement. Which adds a little insight of your mindset. Unless under lawful detainment, arrest, or a possible safety concern, a citizen does NOT have to do what he is told. A LEO can ask, request, mention, but cannot tell a citizen what to

Yep it's people thinking like this that get people shot. They can and do every day. If they are talking to you if bet they are justified if not as I said before report them. Yep stick to installing stuff your advice not really the best.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 08-02-2015, 12:02   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
But on the other hand we should not allow for that 1% of bad apples to keep contaminating the work of other 99%.

That's what you're doing when you paint all law enforcement with the same brush.

The media is very guilty of this.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:03   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
Yep it's people thinking like this that get people shot. They can and do every day. If they are talking to you if bet they are justified if not as I said before report them. Yep stick to installing stuff your advice not really the best.

Yeah, sure. You're in unfamiliar area being mistreated by a local cop and you just want to get the hell outta there. So you're going to go on a Quixotic mission and start some sort of prolonged legal complaint procedures by going back there to PD on several occasions to file, then to give some sort of evidence, then may be to confront that LEO, etc, etc. How many normal people do you know who would go on a anti-cop crusade like that over some less than newsworthy and/or unrecorded on video, mistreatment?
Old 08-02-2015, 12:06   #95

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Well, knowing a person's "socio-economic" background helps me right away to ID his or her views on LE.

PS Your comment only shows me that I am correct.
Soak in your own belief.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:13   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
That's what you're doing when you paint all law enforcement with the same brush.

The media is very guilty of this.
But the LE crowd is not helping any when they sweep that 1% under the rug or pretend that it does not exist or does not have a significant impact in many communities.

I personally am against a life-impacting professions, such as doctors, lawyers, food inspectors, LE, etc, policing themselves as a first line of defense against bad apples. Precisely for the very reason that these professions are too important and too life-impacting for the rest of us to be left to their own members to clean up. If a house painter makes a mistake I can sue him or repaint. If a cop or a doctor or a lawyer makes a mistake someone may die or go to prison undeservedly (or not go deservedly).
Old 08-02-2015, 12:13   #97

Quote:
Soak in your own belief.
I'll bask in it as well.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:18   #98

Quote:
Yeah, sure. You're in unfamiliar area being mistreated by a local cop and you just want to get the hell outta there. So you're going to go on a Quixotic mission and start some sort of prolonged legal complaint procedures by going back there to PD on several occasions to file, then to give some sort of evidence, then may be to confront that LEO, etc, etc. How many normal people do you know who would go on a anti-cop crusade like that over some less than newsworthy and/or unrecorded on video, mistreatment?
Um none but that's because we hang out with the law abiding group apparently not the group you hang with.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:18   #99

Boat: Bristol 29

This thread needs some spice. Did you all know that 83% of LEOs use CQR anchors?
Old 08-02-2015, 12:21   #100

Quote:
But the LE crowd is not helping any when they sweep that 1% under the rug or pretend that it does not exist or does not have a significant impact in many communities.

I agree, but that doesn't justify the assumption that cops are always in the wrong. It sort of points to the probability that cops are enforcing the law.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:28   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
I agree, but that doesn't justify the assumption that cops are always in the wrong. It sort of points to the probability that cops are enforcing the law.
I never said that. I just grew up (and not in the "troubled neighborhood" btw) with a healthy dose of "question authority". And that includes LE.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:31   #102

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Um none but that's because we hang out with the law abiding group apparently not the group you hang with.

I think we should give it up?
Old 08-02-2015, 12:32   #103

Quote:

That's not a very logical conclusion on your part but typical for most knee jerk pro-LE crowd. BTW my hangout "group" is mostly professionals and mostly Libertarian. May be that's the reason for my outlook on the current state of LE in this country?
Old 08-02-2015, 12:58   #104

Quote:
That's not a very logical conclusion on your part but typical for most knee jerk pro-LE crowd. BTW my hangout "group" is mostly professionals and mostly Libertarian. May be that's the reason for my outlook on the current state of LE in this country?
Oh ok not like the knee jerking your doing. Yep I have seen It all the time all those professionals coming out at 5 from work and all those cops lined up harassing them yep I got ya it's ok you don't have to keep explaining.

Old 08-02-2015, 13:39   #105

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
I'm guessing the OP is a product of the 50 or 60s. Woodstock maybe. That is in jest.
Wish I knew what his bitch was with law enforcement. I'm just glad someone will take that thankless job.
Wait a minute... WHAT? I said nothing of the sort. My original inquiry is wonderment that a small seemingly clean vessel got a ticket and the large wreck right next to him didn't. That's it.

I do think that law being enforced based on ambiguous rules without definition (e.g. 'derelict' and 'minimal wake') are probably illegal through that ambiguity. Suppose our DUI laws said, "minimal alcohol consumption" or our speed limit signs either said SLOW or FAST but never listed a speed. I mean, this is crazy - these states need to start putting some solid definitions around what this stuff means.

Clearly, the registration thing is understood and defined but that's pretty much the only hard/fast rule I can think of in regards to boating, except maybe portions of the COLREGS like lighting and right of way and even that is somewhat amorphous.
Closed Thread