Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2015, 12:55   #91
Registered User
 
Island Time O25's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,019
Re: Marathon / Derelict Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Get off the socio-economic line crap.
Well, knowing a person's "socio-economic" background helps me right away to ID his or her views on LE.

PS Your comment only shows me that I am correct.
__________________

__________________
Island Time O25 is offline  
Old 08-02-2015, 12:55   #92
Registered User
 
scuba0_1's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: naples
Boat: 2005 Catalina 350
Posts: 670
Re: Marathon / Derelict Boats

[QUOTE=NoShoes;1744398]Thats a very disturbing statement. Which adds a little insight of your mindset. Unless under lawful detainment, arrest, or a possible safety concern, a citizen does NOT have to do what he is told. A LEO can ask, request, mention, but cannot tell a citizen what to

Yep it's people thinking like this that get people shot. They can and do every day. If they are talking to you if bet they are justified if not as I said before report them. Yep stick to installing stuff your advice not really the best.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
scuba0_1 is offline  
Old 08-02-2015, 13:02   #93
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,440
Re: Marathon / Derelict Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
But on the other hand we should not allow for that 1% of bad apples to keep contaminating the work of other 99%.

That's what you're doing when you paint all law enforcement with the same brush.

The media is very guilty of this.
__________________
letsgetsailing3 is offline  
Old 08-02-2015, 13:03   #94
Registered User
 
Island Time O25's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,019
Re: Marathon / Derelict Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
Yep it's people thinking like this that get people shot. They can and do every day. If they are talking to you if bet they are justified if not as I said before report them. Yep stick to installing stuff your advice not really the best.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Yeah, sure. You're in unfamiliar area being mistreated by a local cop and you just want to get the hell outta there. So you're going to go on a Quixotic mission and start some sort of prolonged legal complaint procedures by going back there to PD on several occasions to file, then to give some sort of evidence, then may be to confront that LEO, etc, etc. How many normal people do you know who would go on a anti-cop crusade like that over some less than newsworthy and/or unrecorded on video, mistreatment?
__________________
Island Time O25 is offline  
Old 08-02-2015, 13:06   #95
Registered User
 
Cadence's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SC
Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Posts: 6,053
Re: Marathon / Derelict Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Well, knowing a person's "socio-economic" background helps me right away to ID his or her views on LE.

PS Your comment only shows me that I am correct.
Soak in your own belief.
__________________
Cadence is offline  
Old 08-02-2015, 13:13   #96
Registered User
 
Island Time O25's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,019
Re: Marathon / Derelict Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
That's what you're doing when you paint all law enforcement with the same brush.

The media is very guilty of this.
But the LE crowd is not helping any when they sweep that 1% under the rug or pretend that it does not exist or does not have a significant impact in many communities.

I personally am against a life-impacting professions, such as doctors, lawyers, food inspectors, LE, etc, policing themselves as a first line of defense against bad apples. Precisely for the very reason that these professions are too important and too life-impacting for the rest of us to be left to their own members to clean up. If a house painter makes a mistake I can sue him or repaint. If a cop or a doctor or a lawyer makes a mistake someone may die or go to prison undeservedly (or not go deservedly).
__________________
Island Time O25 is offline  
Old 08-02-2015, 13:13   #97
Registered User
 
Island Time O25's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,019
Re: Marathon / Derelict Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Soak in your own belief.
I'll bask in it as well.
__________________
Island Time O25 is offline  
Old 08-02-2015, 13:18   #98
Registered User
 
scuba0_1's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: naples
Boat: 2005 Catalina 350
Posts: 670
Re: Marathon / Derelict Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Yeah, sure. You're in unfamiliar area being mistreated by a local cop and you just want to get the hell outta there. So you're going to go on a Quixotic mission and start some sort of prolonged legal complaint procedures by going back there to PD on several occasions to file, then to give some sort of evidence, then may be to confront that LEO, etc, etc. How many normal people do you know who would go on a anti-cop crusade like that over some less than newsworthy and/or unrecorded on video, mistreatment?
Um none but that's because we hang out with the law abiding group apparently not the group you hang with.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
scuba0_1 is offline  
Old 08-02-2015, 13:18   #99
Registered User
 
Sun and Moon's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Colorado
Boat: Bristol 29
Posts: 273
Re: Marathon / Derelict Boats

This thread needs some spice. Did you all know that 83% of LEOs use CQR anchors?
__________________
Sun and Moon is offline  
Old 08-02-2015, 13:21   #100
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,440
Re: Marathon / Derelict Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
But the LE crowd is not helping any when they sweep that 1% under the rug or pretend that it does not exist or does not have a significant impact in many communities.

I agree, but that doesn't justify the assumption that cops are always in the wrong. It sort of points to the probability that cops are enforcing the law.
__________________
letsgetsailing3 is offline  
Old 08-02-2015, 13:28   #101
Registered User
 
Island Time O25's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,019
Re: Marathon / Derelict Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
I agree, but that doesn't justify the assumption that cops are always in the wrong. It sort of points to the probability that cops are enforcing the law.
I never said that. I just grew up (and not in the "troubled neighborhood" btw) with a healthy dose of "question authority". And that includes LE.
__________________
Island Time O25 is offline  
Old 08-02-2015, 13:31   #102
Registered User
 
Cadence's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SC
Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Posts: 6,053
Re: Marathon / Derelict Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
Um none but that's because we hang out with the law abiding group apparently not the group you hang with.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I think we should give it up?
__________________
Cadence is offline  
Old 08-02-2015, 13:32   #103
Registered User
 
Island Time O25's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,019
Re: Marathon / Derelict Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba0_1 View Post
Um none but that's because we hang out with the law abiding group apparently not the group you hang with.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
That's not a very logical conclusion on your part but typical for most knee jerk pro-LE crowd. BTW my hangout "group" is mostly professionals and mostly Libertarian. May be that's the reason for my outlook on the current state of LE in this country?
__________________
Island Time O25 is offline  
Old 08-02-2015, 13:58   #104
Registered User
 
scuba0_1's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: naples
Boat: 2005 Catalina 350
Posts: 670
Re: Marathon / Derelict Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
That's not a very logical conclusion on your part but typical for most knee jerk pro-LE crowd. BTW my hangout "group" is mostly professionals and mostly Libertarian. May be that's the reason for my outlook on the current state of LE in this country?
Oh ok not like the knee jerking your doing. Yep I have seen It all the time all those professionals coming out at 5 from work and all those cops lined up harassing them yep I got ya it's ok you don't have to keep explaining.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
scuba0_1 is offline  
Old 08-02-2015, 14:39   #105
Registered User
 
zboss's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: On a boat
Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Posts: 3,426
Re: Marathon / Derelict Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I'm guessing the OP is a product of the 50 or 60s. Woodstock maybe. That is in jest.
Wish I knew what his bitch was with law enforcement. I'm just glad someone will take that thankless job.
Wait a minute... WHAT? I said nothing of the sort. My original inquiry is wonderment that a small seemingly clean vessel got a ticket and the large wreck right next to him didn't. That's it.

I do think that law being enforced based on ambiguous rules without definition (e.g. 'derelict' and 'minimal wake') are probably illegal through that ambiguity. Suppose our DUI laws said, "minimal alcohol consumption" or our speed limit signs either said SLOW or FAST but never listed a speed. I mean, this is crazy - these states need to start putting some solid definitions around what this stuff means.

Clearly, the registration thing is understood and defined but that's pretty much the only hard/fast rule I can think of in regards to boating, except maybe portions of the COLREGS like lighting and right of way and even that is somewhat amorphous.
__________________

__________________
zboss is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Derelict boats in Florida Rakuflames Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 6 23-04-2013 13:15
Derelict Boats - Not Florida sailorboy1 General Sailing Forum 98 11-09-2012 16:32
Learned from Bitter Experience Rule 103 - Never Drop Anchor Near Derelict Wharves svstrider The Sailor's Confessional 3 21-01-2011 18:11
Derelict Sinks In St. Augustine rleslie Anchoring & Mooring 28 12-04-2010 05:39
Derelict Boats knottybuoyz Off Topic Forum 4 21-09-2007 02:32



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:03.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.