Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2013, 14:17   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Maine for a week

Assuming the wind allows (otherwise I will go in the other direction) I plan to head up to Maine mid August. I never have cruised up there so don't really know where to go.

I have 9 days to sail up from Salem MA and get back. I want to cruise/sight-see not just sail between rocky islands dodging lobster pots or hiking though tick bushes. So plan on a day or so in Portland and later Boothbay harbor or something that I can anchor or catch a mooring.

Suggestions are most welcome.

PS - I wouldn't mind getting tired of eating inexpensive lobster along the way
Old 30-07-2013, 14:23   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Maine for a week

Jewell Island and Snow Island are between Portland and Boothbay. Check them out,- they're among our favorites.
Old 30-07-2013, 14:24   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

Its probably easiest to sail an overnight to as far North as you plan on going and day hop on the way back. More chance of getting decent wind and lets you stop at new places each night.

Old 30-07-2013, 14:28   #4
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Jewell Island and Snow Island are between Portland and Boothbay. Check them out,- they're among our favorites.

OK; why, what's there to see/do there (beside eating lobster which better be a given).
Old 30-07-2013, 14:29   #5

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

I am flying up tomorrow with the wife and spending two nights in BoothBay Harbor and two in Bar Harbor.

The wife has wanted to "whale watch" for years...........so since I was told that we have not had a vacation in over a year ............we are going.

I told her for the cost I could add a really nice piece of equipment to a boat in which I would take her there and she could "watch" for weeks on end.

I didn't get far with that............
Old 30-07-2013, 14:48   #6
CLOD

I watched the whales surface a boat length from me earlier this year, so that is another Maine thing I can pass on.
Old 30-07-2013, 15:24   #7

$3.00 a pound for lobster.
Old 30-07-2013, 15:27   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
OK; why, what's there to see/do there (beside eating lobster which better be a given).
Well, these places may not be for you. There are no structures there that sell anything, no restaurants, nothing to buy, no food unless you've brought it or catch it. There are hiking trails and some natural flora & fauna. There are some old bunker towers from WWII on Jewel Island,- these are mostly just wilderness places that excell for hiking and kayaking.
Old 30-07-2013, 15:38   #9

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
$3.00 a pound for lobster.
Not in a restaurant though right?
Old 30-07-2013, 18:59   #10

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Portland and Boothbay are good stops if you want to take a mooring or slip, walk around town, go shopping, and eat in a restaurant. As opposed to anchoring out and roughing it.

In Portland we like Portland Yacht Services, East of downtown but still a short walk. But it's exposed to large wakes all day. DeMillo's rents slips, and they're right in the middle of everything. A little less rolling and quite a bit more money. There are good marinas across the river in S. Portland and farther East along Casco Bay, but again, no shoreside facilities to speak of.

In Boothbay, stay on the West ("in town") side of the harbor. We like Tugboat Inn, but Boothbay Harbor Marina is even closer to the action, if you like that sort of thing. The East side is nice too, but it's a long walk to town, or you need to wait for the trolley.

Another one I haven't tried yet, but heard good things about, is Sebasco Harbor Resort just West and North of Small Point, on the Eastern end of Casco Bay. Moorings, launch service and full access to the resort amenities.

The tourists all love shopping in Freeport. If that's your thing you can go up the Harraseeket River and rent a mooring, then take a cab to town.

Oh, and you're right about the lobster buoys. You'll need to keep a good lookout and a hand on the wheel at all times.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 19:45   #11

Boat: Catalina 34

I've also heard good things about Sebasco Harbor but haven't been there (yet). Same goes for Tenant's Harbor, which should be a fairly easy sail from Boothbay. Camden is nice, lots of shopping and stuff. Kind of a smaller scale version of Bar Harbor maybe.

Acadia is certainly worth a visit, Belfast is also a nice town.

I'm at Portland Yacht Services, yes it is exposed and there is a fair amount of chop there but for a day or two shouldn't be too bad. Less $$$ than DeMillo's but as noted, DeMillo's is right smack in the middle of the waterfront area.
Old 30-07-2013, 19:56   #12

Boat: Catalina 34

Don, you may want to pick up a copy of this book:

http://www.mainecoastguide.com/guides.html

It's a great resource for cruising the coast of Maine. It has all kinds of information about virtually ever place you could even think of stopping, services, marinas, anchorages, moorages, and so on. Probably any marine supply store in Maine would have it. Maybe call West Marine in Marblehead to see if they carry it.
Old 31-07-2013, 06:02   #13

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Ditto on the guide book, and of course you should be using Active Captain. It would be impossible to describe all the options the coast of Maine has to offer in a forum post. I tried to hit some high points that seemed in keeping with the OPs preferences and time line.

I'll throw out one more that's close by: Peaks Island. There's a small marina there, but no power on the floats. They charge by the hour for day trippers, but have always been happy to rent me some space for an overnight. The draw here is a little taste of Maine "island life". It's really part of the city of Portland, where locals are being driven out by outrageous property values. But it still has the feel of an island, with a general store, island vehicles, and the ebb and flow of life governed by the ferry schedule.

Don't let the guide books fool you about Great Diamond Island, there's nothing there for transients except one very nice but overpriced restaurant.

9 days is nowhere near enough time. But even going no farther than Casco Bay, or Boothbay if the winds are fair, will give you a taste of what you're missing. And you'll be back when you can stay longer.

PS: One secret about Maine lobster: If you cook them alive, they're all good. They're not like fish, which are better to buy fresh off the boat. Many retailers will cook them for you, saving a huge hassle on board. And lobstermen are smart businessmen. They know the retail price, and know that tourists will pay a premium for the "experience" of buying off the boat.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 07:09   #14

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Go north Don, you know what will happen if you go south. Mainiacs love visitors just not new residents.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 07:18   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Not in a restaurant though right?
We did an overnight from Cape Code Canal to Tenants Harbor, arriving yesterday. The 3 dollars was per pound for smaller lobsters from the dock after closing. The meals were more like 15 or 20 bucks in the restaurants we saw walking around. This is our first time up here, I guess we'll figure out the deals.

Tags
maine