Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2016, 15:17   #1

Boat: PEARSON 422
Luperon: too good to be true??

I am working through my long term cruising plan and considering where to hole up for hurricane season '18. The plan is to spend the first season in the Bahamas/Turks (Nov-May) and then hole up somewhere for hurricane season. I am trying to decide between returning to the states and taking shelter along the St. Johns River(Orange Park, Green Cove Springs, Palatka, etc) or sailing south to Luperon, D.R.. I have been reading up on Luperon and it just sounds to good to be true. Excellent protection from wind and surge, cheap wet slips, cheap beer, opportunity to explore the island, etc. So, I am wondering what is the caveat? Are they just going to let me sail in and get a slip for six months...no problema?? Or...will I have to pay a $350 cruising fee/permit(Bahamas)...a tarrif equal to 12% of the value of the boat(Cayman)?? What is the "red tape"?
Old 10-10-2016, 15:19   #2

Re: Luperon: too good to be true??

Can I get a work visa if I am a nurse or a teacher??
Old 10-10-2016, 15:25   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Ah, similar questions here for 2017, except that work thing! Yuck!
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 15:38   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Ah, similar questions here for 2017, except that work thing! Yuck!
Lol I 2nd the Yuck thing,, I'm same time frame for 2018.
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 16:46   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty_dog_68 View Post
I am working through my long term cruising plan and considering where to hole up for hurricane season '18. The plan is to spend the first season in the Bahamas/Turks (Nov-May) and then hole up somewhere for hurricane season. I am trying to decide between returning to the states and taking shelter along the St. Johns River(Orange Park, Green Cove Springs, Palatka, etc) or sailing south to Luperon, D.R.. I have been reading up on Luperon and it just sounds to good to be true. Excellent protection from wind and surge, cheap wet slips, cheap beer, opportunity to explore the island, etc. So, I am wondering what is the caveat? Are they just going to let me sail in and get a slip for six months...no problema?? Or...will I have to pay a $350 cruising fee/permit(Bahamas)...a tarrif equal to 12% of the value of the boat(Cayman)?? What is the "red tape"?
Luperon is a great Hurricane hole. BUT, The DR is a very poor country as well as a third world nation. I've sat out a cane in Luperon, but I certainly wouldn't leave my boat there six months or so unattended. You're very likely to come back to a hull and nothing else. Now since you're going to be in TCI, Providenciales or specifically Turtle Cove ( Selars Pond) is also an excellent hurricane hole (I sat out Ike there). I'm sure it wouldn't be as cheap as the DR though. BTW, the DR is my favorite Island. My wife is Dominicana and we have a home in Puerto Plata. We moor our boat in a small bay outside of Costumbar. You ask a question about staying there and getting a work permit (if you don't mine being paid less than US minimum wage in pesos). Yes it can be done, and there are many expats on the north coast of the DR. If you are staying there, then your choice for Luperon would be completely different and I'd say you bet and there are no cruising permits, or a lot of red tape unless you're looking for residency.. Check out Dominican Republic News & Travel Information Service.

Hope this helps
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 17:20   #6

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

This family thoroughly enjoyed Luperon, see this
and the next 3 episodes for a DR tour.
ps,I'm taking notes as its on my bucket list.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:01   #7

@JSTA_REBEL Thank you very much for the response. Yes, if we decide to use Luperon to hole up for hurricane season we would stay on the boat (hopefully in a wet slip with electricity). I would like to get a work visa and work part-time in the local hospital. I am not really concerned about what they would be able to pay me. If it just covered the monthly slip fees that would be great! Thanks again!
Old 11-10-2016, 10:14   #8

Boat: temporarily boatless...

My personal experience was that a slip in Luperon was little more than a place where you could step off the boat and be on land. No services whatsoever, especially not electricity. It does look like it would be an incredible good hurricane hole, though.

Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:23   #9

I was in Luperon for 6 weeks and enjoyed it a lot. Yes the bay is mostly sewage. Yes you will be approached by young couples dressed like morman missionaries in town in the am; he's selling his girlfriends services. You will have probably two 5 gallon buckets of large barnacles on your bottom and chain after 6 weeks at anchor. Plan on two days scraping to get it off. If you can get past that type of thing the DR is fun place.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:03   #10

Boat: PT-11

what slips?
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:18   #11

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
what slips?
I was being generous with my description! But at least there are things in Luperon that are physically similar to a slip, albeit without services. Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:48   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty_dog_68 View Post
Crime is one downside. Impossible to prevent. Loss of life might be another downer.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:12   #13

Boat: Tayana FD-12

Best hurricane hole. But its not for everyone. If you need a US-type high maintenance dock, go to Ocean world in puerto plata. My assumption is that you know how to anchor the boat and keep it from moving. I've left my boat there for 6 months essentially unattended but with cruiser friends occasionally checking on it. It was tied to mangroves. Besides some mold in the cabin everything was good. One cat 2 tracked near but the tall mountains of Hispaniola knock stuff down better than anywhere else in the Caribbean or east coast of US.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 14:02   #14

Boat: Destroyed AMEL SUPER MARAMU

In May I was in Luperon looking for a sailboat. Luperon is mangrove and an excellent hurricane hole but I had noticed that there are thieves entering abandoned boats. Luperon is a little little town with few services. There is a community with some sailmen from different parts of the world. Is about 4 hrs by car from Santo Domingo. There are few pontoons. Most of boats are mooring in the bay.
RafaCavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 14:42   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I was in Luperon for 6 weeks and enjoyed it a lot. Yes the bay is mostly sewage. Yes you will be approached by young couples dressed like morman missionaries in town in the am; he's selling his girlfriends services. You will have probably two 5 gallon buckets of large barnacles on your bottom and chain after 6 weeks at anchor. Plan on two days scraping to get it off. If you can get past that type of thing the DR is fun place.
I presume that when I do clean the hull...I should move the boat out of the harbor first?? Diving in "mostly sewage" does not sound very fun.