Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-10-2016, 10:28   #31

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: Luperon: too good to be true??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JstaRebel View Post
I lived there for 5 years. I was working there, and NOT visiting. IT IS certifiably the most expensive island in the VI chain. Even more so than St. John. Fuel is expensive, dock space is outrageously expensive and food is expensive. The country has a 15% GROSS RECEIPTS TAX that every business pays which is why it is expensive. We are sailing there on the 21st of Oct. and my wife and I are provisioning in Anguilla so we won't have to pay those high prices. Now I do like that I can use my UHC insurance card for medical there which is why we are going for two weeks, but STT is expensive for everything except liquor and cigarettes. I find that so funny.
We didn't actually stop in Anguilla, so its nice to know that its cheaper than St. Thomas. We went directly from St. Thomas to Martinique and were a little shocked at the prices there (with the exception of wine, cheese and some fish). We felt St. Thomas was quite a bit cheaper. However, that may have been due to the fact that we had friends living there that showed us where and how to shop.

Its interesting, in our travels the cheapest beer we have ever found was in Florida. This includes Mexico, DR, Cuba, and the island chain. No where could beat the prices we found in Florida (18 pack for $9). $0.50USD a beer is insanely cheap.

Anyway.. Maybe we will see you down here next season!

As to the question about the DR. I do not know of any boatyards in the DR that would be capable of hauling (let alone storing) a boat of that size. In PR, there are at least 4 yards capable of that.

Old 13-10-2016, 13:41   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Re: DR yards for haul and store. I was getting that impression, not viable.

So what are the options for someone coming down through the Bahamas? TCI? That doesn't sound great in hurricane season.

Old 13-10-2016, 14:20   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Re: DR yards for haul and store. I was getting that impression, not viable.

So what are the options for someone coming down through the Bahamas? TCI? That doesn't sound great in hurricane season.
For the brave with good insurance, then Puerto Rico. For the rest of us, Grenada or Trinidad.

This is why Georgetown is called "Chicken Harbor". After Georgetown you are pretty much committed to Grenada or Trinidad if you need to get out of the hurricane zone. Otherwise you "chicken out" and head back north to the US from Georgetown.

If you go past Georgetown and stay within the zone, there are a few "hurricane holes" but no real "great" options. The yards in PR are pretty good as they chain the stands together and strap the boats down. Luperon offers good protection but has the drawbacks already listed. Definitely not TCI. It would be a terrible place to be in a hurricane!

This is why there are so many boats in Grenada and Trinidad for the hurricane season!
Old 13-10-2016, 15:07   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
For the brave with good insurance, then Puerto Rico. For the rest of us, Grenada or Trinidad.

This is why Georgetown is called "Chicken Harbor". After Georgetown you are pretty much committed to Grenada or Trinidad if you need to get out of the hurricane zone. Otherwise you "chicken out" and head back north to the US from Georgetown.

If you go past Georgetown and stay within the zone, there are a few "hurricane holes" but no real "great" options. The yards in PR are pretty good as they chain the stands together and strap the boats down. Luperon offers good protection but has the drawbacks already listed. Definitely not TCI. It would be a terrible place to be in a hurricane!

This is why there are so many boats in Grenada and Trinidad for the hurricane season!
Sellers Pond in Turtle Cove, Providenciales TCI is not a bad spot to sit out a blow. Very protected from all sides. The downfall is not a lot of room unless your in a slip or are known there. But I sat out Hurricane Ike there with no issues. I've even have it on you tube if your interested.
Old 13-10-2016, 15:33   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Anyone with experience of Caicos Marina and Shipyard?
Old 13-10-2016, 15:52   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: PR....What about this 6.6% tax after 60 days? Some seem to think that only applies when you are wet and the clock stops when you are on the hard?
Old 13-10-2016, 16:18   #37

Quote:
Re: PR....What about this 6.6% tax after 60 days? Some seem to think that only applies when you are wet and the clock stops when you are on the hard?
I agree.. Plus, I'm pretty sure it only applies to US flagged boats.
Old 14-10-2016, 08:43   #38

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

Quote:
Anyone with experience of Caicos Marina and Shipyard?
Yes. I have hauled out there, but better not to hijack the thread. message me or start a new thread for info.
Old 21-10-2016, 17:18   #39
Junior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: '01 Leopard 38, 3 cbn
Talking Re: Luperon: too good to be true??

I have been in Caicos Marina and Shipyard (still am til next month) and TCI (Provo) is VERY expensive - I live in STT it's cheaper. CMS is ok but you need to get on a Hurricane Tie-Down Hardstand. ( Webbing from cleats to concrete inground anchors ). Very low lying island so I was sweating surge from south with Matthew but it didn't (according to Jamie Pollon the CMS owner) cause any problems. The web site is NOT pictures of the facility but rather a residential area near Blue Haven Resort Marina ($600/nite hotel but reasonable$ slips on North side) to see CMS Use Google Earth-south side waaaay away from anything- Long Bay.
PR is a better bet if you can't get south to Granada or Trinidad. Puerto Del Rey is on the East end and they have hurricane tie-downs and is US so you can work. Your Mono could be hauled in STT (also US and I know they need nurses at Hosp always)
at Independent Boatyard and Marina but you need to contact them by Feb to get on the list (regulars come first) Jim Kellogg is mgr and they have a creeper to fit boats 1 ft apart with chained jackstands.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: