Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-10-2016, 15:51   #16

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: Luperon: too good to be true??

Oh man.. We asked ourselves the same question this year. Our question was answered once we actually got to Luperon. My family yelled a resounding "NO" when I asked them if they wanted to stay for the season.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the DR for what it was. However we just couldn't imagine spending more than 3 weeks there. The posters above have pretty well covered it. Ok place to stop for a while, but we choose to move on!

Another place to consider is Salinas, Puerto Rico. Although its not as protected as DR and also not really any wet slips.

Old 11-10-2016, 15:52   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty_dog_68 View Post
I presume that when I do clean the hull...I should move the boat out of the harbor first?? Diving in "mostly sewage" does not sound very fun.
Naw, its salt water so is already disinfected. Often hear that. Wash cuts in the ocean, the salt will disinfect it. Truth is salt water is no more disinfected than fresh water. Plus you got all those algae, planktons, and funny wiggly critters just waiting for their next food source. So yup, head on up current. Some fellow travellers got dysentery from swimming off Ebeye(Marshall Islands). Went to clean their prop and got their systems cleaned out as well.

Old 11-10-2016, 16:07   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I presume that when I do clean the hull...I should move the boat out of the harbor first?? Diving in "mostly sewage" does not sound very fun.
Yes, I moved further toward the opening to the sea. Still, I was a bit sick for a day after being in the water for hours. The anchor chain was amazing, tough getting stuff off chain.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 19:25   #19

Ya know, the DR isn't for everyone.. Very true statement. However, neither is Mexico, Puerto Rico, the middle east, or even Europe, the Caribbean, and the US for that matter.. YOU GET WHAT YOU PUT OUT IN LIFE.. So The same holds true for the DR. I love the simplicity there as well as how people stick together, and even how the Catholic Priest holds service in a poor Barrio rather than his church on Sundays because then he is sure everyone in his "Flock" eats good at least once a week. For Americans, people on food stamps and welfare are rich in comparison to Dominicanos. The average yearly salary is less than 4,000 US dollars per YEAR. So go in there with a flashy boat and some first world attitude, and you will be scammed, stolen from at every opportunity, and possibly even robbed. However, you treat people respectfully, hire and pay a local what most wold think as pocket change, and you will be good to go. YOU are the visitor. How you treat and act around the locals will determine how they treat you. Hire a local to watch out for your boat while you are away for a short period, and everything will still be there when you get back. Again, Pocket Change.. I don't have an issue there. Never have, but I'm respectful, and a normal person. Not some snooty "better than them" idiot. By the way, the water in the bay is a mangrove lagoon. They are all the same and it's NOT sewage water. Go into the mangrove lagoon in USVI St. Thomas and you will find the same thing. Also, good holding soft mud.
Old 11-10-2016, 19:45   #20

We arrived in Luperon end of May 2016 and are still here. There seems to be some misinformation on this thread.

There is very little crime. We have friends who have left there boat for months, nothing touched.

The bay is not sewage, rich in nutrients yes. It is full of life, too full maybe and stuff grows quickly. However the barnacles are soft and locals will clean the bottom for about $35.

Most folk stay on a mooring our anchor. The marina is small but OK with a good restaurant recently refurbished. The marina is outside town so you need transport or ride your dinghy into town. There is a dingy dock.

Most service are available but you have to ask. The baker, butcher etc do not have signs outside. Once you know hey are there the service is good and friendly. There are many bars and restaurants, some good some like a dinner. There is a small hardware store. If you need a big supermarket or marine store take a ride into Peurto Plata about an hour away.

We have temporarily moved ashore into a full service hotel with kitchen and air conditioning for $300 per month. Many people rent houses.

There is a hospital and schools, volunteers are welcome, don't know about paid work.

Red tape on entry is not bad.

Luperon is a great place. First impressions maybe unkempt and rough but dig beneath the surface the people are very friendly.

You can look at our experience in Leeandpeter.com leeandpeter dot com.
Old 11-10-2016, 21:29   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotreVoyage View Post
We arrived in Luperon end of May 2016 and are still here. There seems to be some misinformation on this thread.

There is very little crime. We have friends who have left there boat for months, nothing touched.

The bay is not sewage, rich in nutrients yes. It is full of life, too full maybe and stuff grows quickly. However the barnacles are soft and locals will clean the bottom for about $35.

Most folk stay on a mooring our anchor. The marina is small but OK with a good restaurant recently refurbished. The marina is outside town so you need transport or ride your dinghy into town. There is a dingy dock.

Most service are available but you have to ask. The baker, butcher etc do not have signs outside. Once you know hey are there the service is good and friendly. There are many bars and restaurants, some good some like a dinner. There is a small hardware store. If you need a big supermarket or marine store take a ride into Peurto Plata about an hour away.

We have temporarily moved ashore into a full service hotel with kitchen and air conditioning for $300 per month. Many people rent houses.

There is a hospital and schools, volunteers are welcome, don't know about paid work.

Red tape on entry is not bad.

Luperon is a great place. First impressions maybe unkempt and rough but dig beneath the surface the people are very friendly.

You can look at our experience in Leeandpeter.com leeandpeter dot com.
And this is why cruising is so different for everyone.. We buddy boated with you guys and definitely had a different view of Luperon after spending 3 weeks there. You stayed and we left!

I do agree about the services. They do exist if you look for them. However, for cruisers coming from elsewhere it will seem VERY lacking. Yes its an hour ride to Peurto Plata, but the marine store is NOT like a marine store elsewhere. Heck, an hour ride in Puerto Rico and you are at a Westmarine. Luperon has NOTHING like that anywhere. Even finding a bilge pump can be a challenge.

I also agree about the crime.. I did not see (or hear of) any crime in our time there. There were a few vacant boats that were left completely untouched.

Unfortunately you are wrong about the bay. I spent the better part of an afternoon speaking with locals (at the commentate office) about the bay. The entire city of Luperon dumps their raw sewage into the bay. Since the bay only has one inlet, that sewage has no where to go. That is why the bay is "full of life". Personally I would never swim in the water, and most locals won't either (unless they are in the bottom cleaning business). I NEVER saw any cruiser swimming. As to the barnacles being soft.. They sure didn't seem soft when I had to scrape them after departing. Maybe our boat is unique, but it sure made a mess of our bottom in that short time (they took our nice paint with them).

Luperon (and the DR) is what it is. Its a poor country with limited services. Luperon itself has good holding and good protection. There are many many beautiful things to see around Luperon. Yes the people are awesome. Prices are fairly cheap if you eat local food (beer at the supermarket is cheaper in USVI, believe it or not). General cost of living is quite cheap.

Based on the OPs original question and wanting a "wet slip with power". I think Luperon is going to be a disappointment for him/her. Ocean World has those type of services, but they come at a price. As to working.. I have no idea, but good luck. If you can navigate the bureaucracy and find work legally, it might just cover your monthly slip fee (but probably not at Ocean World).

Personally the OP would be much better off heading to Puerto Rico and staying at Puerto Del Ray. It will put you much more at risk of hurricanes but offer more of what you are looking for (a real slip, access to services, and ability to work without hassle).
Old 12-10-2016, 08:26   #22

Boat: temporarily boatless...

I just want to make it clear that, at least in my case, I was making no judgements about Luperon, the DR, its customs, or its people. I actually had no problem with any of that. I was just responding to the OP's intention to get a slip with electricity and/or other "customary" services, which may exist in Luperon, but was apparently hidden from us. Also, we arrived on a Friday evening, and found we could not find an official to clear us in until Monday morning. Technically, we were thus confined to the boat, and although we went into town anyway, I felt a little uncomfortable about being an illegal alien...

We did move on to Cofresi (Ocean World) after a couple of days, and were able to get a sail repair on-site and other small parts that we needed by taking a taxi into Puerto Plata. But although their docks were really first rate, I don't think it would offer tremendous protection from a hurricane; it's just a seawall, a very substantial seawall, but a seawall nonetheless.

Pete
Old 12-10-2016, 09:26   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

As I said, we had a great time there. Befriended a local family and spent some time with them. Took many motorcycle rides into the big city for shopping. Took a DR trip by rental car. But it is what it is. Much like parts of Mexico, be careful. We were scammed out of $100 on the street in Santa Domingo. While driving across the mountains we picked up an old man we thought was hitchhiking. Turns out he thought we were a taxi! haha. Next thing we know we have another passenger too. He wanted us to take him up this washed out road to his destination (the main road was nearly impassable in spots) We finally just stopped and told him , best we could, we couldn't go further. He tried to pay us and we said no. Adventures... best part of cruising.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:50   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I am trying to decide between returning to the states and taking shelter along the St. Johns River(Orange Park, Green Cove Springs, Palatka, etc)
That area did not fare so well during the 'cane either. Green Cove lost some docks which in turn caused damage to several boats. Our friends, Jeremiah and Brittany on The Lazy Gecko, were holed up in a top notch marina just south of Jax and while they did very well it was amazing to see pics of damage to some of the docks in an A+ facility.

Ya makes ur choice and Ya takes ur chances..
Old 12-10-2016, 11:15   #25

Boat: Cal 44
Send a message via ICQ to barboak

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
And this is why cruising is so different for everyone.. We buddy boated with you guys and definitely had a different view of Luperon after spending 3 weeks there. You stayed and we left!

I do agree about the services. They do exist if you look for them. However, for cruisers coming from elsewhere it will seem VERY lacking. Yes its an hour ride to Peurto Plata, but the marine store is NOT like a marine store elsewhere. Heck, an hour ride in Puerto Rico and you are at a Westmarine. Luperon has NOTHING like that anywhere. Even finding a bilge pump can be a challenge.

I also agree about the crime.. I did not see (or hear of) any crime in our time there. There were a few vacant boats that were left completely untouched.

Unfortunately you are wrong about the bay. I spent the better part of an afternoon speaking with locals (at the commentate office) about the bay. The entire city of Luperon dumps their raw sewage into the bay. Since the bay only has one inlet, that sewage has no where to go. That is why the bay is "full of life". Personally I would never swim in the water, and most locals won't either (unless they are in the bottom cleaning business). I NEVER saw any cruiser swimming. As to the barnacles being soft.. They sure didn't seem soft when I had to scrape them after departing. Maybe our boat is unique, but it sure made a mess of our bottom in that short time (they took our nice paint with them).

Luperon (and the DR) is what it is. Its a poor country with limited services. Luperon itself has good holding and good protection. There are many many beautiful things to see around Luperon. Yes the people are awesome. Prices are fairly cheap if you eat local food (beer at the supermarket is cheaper in USVI, believe it or not). General cost of living is quite cheap.

Based on the OPs original question and wanting a "wet slip with power". I think Luperon is going to be a disappointment for him/her. Ocean World has those type of services, but they come at a price. As to working.. I have no idea, but good luck. If you can navigate the bureaucracy and find work legally, it might just cover your monthly slip fee (but probably not at Ocean World).

Personally the OP would be much better off heading to Puerto Rico and staying at Puerto Del Ray. It will put you much more at risk of hurricanes but offer more of what you are looking for (a real slip, access to services, and ability to work without hassle).

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
barboak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 11:17   #26

Boat: Cal 44
Send a message via ICQ to barboak

My bad! But agree with all of this especially much better off in PR. More expensive though!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
barboak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 16:36   #27

Quote:

Unfortunately, liquor and cigarettes are THE ONLY things cheap in USVI. $6.00 loaves of bread and $9.00 gallons of milk. USVI is very expensive. housing is most expensive in all of Caribbean too.
Old 12-10-2016, 16:53   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsta_Rebel View Post
Unfortunately, liquor and cigarettes are THE ONLY things cheap in USVI. $6.00 loaves of bread and $9.00 gallons of milk. USVI is very expensive. housing is most expensive in all of Caribbean too.
Again.. Everyone cruises different. We make our own bread and drink long life milk. Both save significant money over the "normal" north american brands. Once we discovered how to shop in St. Thomas we found it quite reasonable for provisioning (buy and eat local foods). Actually we provisioned heavily there and were glad we did. Many items are definitely cheaper than the southern parts of the chain.

Thats the great part of cruising.. Learning how to live in each place and how to shop. Thats a challenge we enjoy!
Old 13-10-2016, 08:14   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

We will need to leave our boat somewhere for about 4 months. I was thinking DR or PR.

I would want to haul the boat and store it on land. I just don't like the idea of it being in the water that long unattended.

I just read in Van Sant that Puerto Rico requires you to register your boat if there over 60 days and then wants a 6.6% of value fee! OUCH. Would that also alloy to a Canadian boat?

Are there any suitable haul facilities and storage yards available in DR?

44' LOD
50' LOA
40,000#
Old 13-10-2016, 10:08   #30

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

Quote:
Again.. Everyone cruises different. We make our own bread and drink long life milk. Both save significant money over the "normal" north american brands. Once we discovered how to shop in St. Thomas we found it quite reasonable for provisioning (buy and eat local foods). Actually we provisioned heavily there and were glad we did. Many items are definitely cheaper than the southern parts of the chain.

Thats the great part of cruising.. Learning how to live in each place and how to shop. Thats a challenge we enjoy!
I lived there for 5 years. I was working there, and NOT visiting. IT IS certifiably the most expensive island in the VI chain. Even more so than St. John. Fuel is expensive, dock space is outrageously expensive and food is expensive. The country has a 15% GROSS RECEIPTS TAX that every business pays which is why it is expensive. We are sailing there on the 21st of Oct. and my wife and I are provisioning in Anguilla so we won't have to pay those high prices. Now I do like that I can use my UHC insurance card for medical there which is why we are going for two weeks, but STT is expensive for everything except liquor and cigarettes. I find that so funny.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: