Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2019, 15:50   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Luperon DR

Tell me everything you personally know of Luperon DR, .......................... please. I'm thinking of spending 2020 hurricane season there.
Old 30-11-2019, 16:33   #2

Boat: Formosa 41
Re: Luperon DR

There was a guy I met in Key West who was going to go to Luperon for hurricane season.

And that is all I personally know about Luperon.

Thank you for asking.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2019, 16:45   #3

Fun place. Crime abounds but not worse than many other places or as bad as a bigger DR city. You may be offered a young woman dressed like a Mormon missionary at 9 am on the street. Friendly people. Secure. I wouldn't get in the water.
My info is a not recent though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 00:48   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailing vessels up to 200 tons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Fun place. Crime abounds but not worse than many other places or as bad as a bigger DR city. You may be offered a young woman dressed like a Mormon missionary at 9 am on the street. Friendly people. Secure. I wouldn't get in the water.
I was there 15 years ago. I'd agree about not going swimming...... But, the people were fantastic, always felt safe, using public transport (motorcycle, gua gua, shared taxis etc) gave me more interesting experiences than I have had anywhere else in the world.

Oh, and the beer was great and cheap!

Enjoy

Delivering boats for a living - no more!
edsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:01   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Luperon can be summarized as being a well protected hurricane hole, with very foul water, and a very crowded anchorage (anchorage is free).
The local officials have a reputation for “inventing” fees. Dinghy theft (especially outboard engines) is not uncommon.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:41   #6
CLOD

The reason I said personally was to avoid the repeat of rumors that may have been true once. Thus far the only thing posted that seems true is the water in the harbor is foul. The rest doesn't appear true based on the people currently there (there's a FB page). But, I knew what to expect from the thread
Old 01-12-2019, 09:44   #7

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
The reason I said personally was to avoid the repeat of rumors that may have been true once. Thus far the only thing posted that seems true is the water in the harbor is foul. The rest doesn't appear true based on the people currently there (there's a FB page). But, I knew what to expect from the thread
It was also true that I met a guy in Key West who said he was going to Luperon.

You forgot that.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:57   #8

People rarely speak poorly of what they have or where they are. Chevy owners love Chevys. Everything I said was personally experienced. ....and more... was unsaid.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 17:08   #9

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Luperon can be summarized as being a well protected hurricane hole, with very foul water, and a very crowded anchorage (anchorage is free).
The local officials have a reputation for “inventing” fees. Dinghy theft (especially outboard engines) is not uncommon.
Yep! If you need a place to stop on the north coast of DR, Cofresi/Puerto Plata is a much better option in my opinion. There's no denying Luperon as a great hurricane hole, and it's pretty, but other than that it's not nothing going for it, minimal services, graft, coercion, etc. I think it's appeal is mostly historical, or for low budget purposes. Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 16:14   #10
CLOD

So the the last Active Captain review of Luperon calls it “Boot Key on a budget”. Since I’m currently in Boot Key, Luperon looks pretty fantastic!
Old 08-12-2019, 10:35   #11

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

For some,maybe,helpful info, check out the Sailing Satori blog, they have been there 12 months,clearing in and out twice and have a u tube video of the good,the bad and the ugly.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:41   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
That settle it, I’m going back. I missed that whole Mormon woman thing.

Agreed about the water, but the same for very many places in the USA.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:23   #13

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

Also check funonholliday.com A t37 we met in exumas last year posted three videos of the DR.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 13:58   #14
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
That settle it, I’m going back. I missed that whole Mormon woman thing.
You know I’m not sure I’ve ever even met a Mormon women missionary. Not sure if missing is a plus or minus.

My research has me looking more and more to a stay in Luperon. Plus It looks like it is going to be good for a $1000+ Savings in cruising kitty costs as doesnt appear I will be able to get boat insurance.
Old 13-12-2019, 18:28   #15

Boat: 36' Gulfstar Trawler

sailorboy1 - as an alternative would you consider going to the rio dulce in guatemala?

it has been ten years since i have been there but i have friends there now who think it is paradise - food is excellent and inexpensive, labor is cheap if you need boat work, great hurricane hole, water is clean, lots of social life (ahem, much unsaid). sailors go there and never return, it is so good. just a thought.
Eventide is offline   Reply With Quote