Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2014, 03:32   #1

Looking for info: Anyone been to Scrub Cays sandbar (30 mi W of Staniel Cay)

I'll be flying into Staniel Cay this coming July and am looking to rent a boat (17' Whaler day trip) and head off straight west to the Scrub Cays to explore. Of course I will have a VHF, Sat Phone, 406 MHZ, few gal of Freshwater, etc

The sandbars here look absolutely amazing and isolated!

Since I'll bring several jerry cans of fuel, I am hoping to make it all the way to Green Cay (42 NM) and back, but will turn back using the "rule of thirds" with fuel.

MapFlingâ„¢

There is precious little (if any) info that I can find anywhere in cyberspace about this area (other than the Haitian boat that got stuck there last fall), so any accounts of people having been here would be fantastic.

My tentative plan is to travel westbound along the north side of the sandbar until Green Cay hopefully and then back. It seems as if looking at the explorer charts that traveling along the N side is better than the S side since the water stays deeper closer to the bar, plus in July with a E to SE wind, its probably more protected than the S side.

Now to the meat of my questions:

1) At "point D" on the map link above, is the sandbar exposed at all during mean HT?

2) Also at point D, how close in can I get at mean LT to the sandbar with an 18'' draft? Ideally I'd like to get within 500 ft to walk it easily, but I could work with as much as 1/4 of a mile.

3) Same questions as 1 and 2, but how about for "point F" on the map? The Explorer charts are showing the sandbar as uncover 2m, but looking at a picture taken from 35,000 feet on an airline flight, looks like it is barely (if at all awash) at that location

Panoramio - Photo of Oceano Tongue - Bahamas

Even if you guys can't answer my specific questions, could you give me some general info about the area, especially if you have been there already.

Luckily, I will be able to fly just a few hundred feet above the entire area from my 4 seater Cessna before I take the boat out, so I'll get a good and up-close look at it, but am anxious to know before I go!!

Thanks in advance for any first hand info about this place!! Pics of this area would be FANTASTIC, esp with a confirmed lat/long!
CoopAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 10:16   #2

Re: Looking for info: Anyone been to Scrub Cays sandbar (30 mi W of Staniel Cay)

Hmmm, guess this just re-affirms my notion that there is not a lot of info about it!
Old 23-04-2014, 19:51   #3

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: Looking for info: Anyone been to Scrub Cays sandbar (30 mi W of Staniel Cay)

Sandbars frequently change size, shape, and depth. Information from a month ago can become worthless after one good storm.
Old 24-04-2014, 05:23   #4
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

AUTEC has plenty of info about it.
Old 24-04-2014, 07:23   #5

Thanks guys!

Luckily I would be able to fly my Cessna a few hundred feet over the route to survey it before taking the boat there so I should get a good look at the water for any shallows or hazards.
Old 22-10-2014, 16:50   #6

UPDATE!!

Hey, just wanted to let all of you know, that on July 13th this year, I made it from Staniel Cay to the Scrub Cays and back, just as planned when I made my original post!!

Not only that, but I made a video of my trip with my favorite Bahamas song!!

https://vimeo.com/106638814

It was 30 NM each way with the outbound leg being pretty easy in following seas. The return leg on the other hand was a whole nuther story with 3-4' head seas in a 17' Whaler!

I was only able to do 10 kts and although I never felt unsafe, it was a wet and bumpy ride!

Camping in upstate NY in January in a tent and 4 season bag at 25 below zero for an entire night FAR EASIER in comparison than the ride home that day despite lasting just 3h and 10 min!!

But it was sooo worth it to see some of the most beautiful sandbars I've ever seen!!

To see the full write-up I made about the trip, which documents every twist and turn, check it out on this link.

Pilots of America Message Board - View Single Post - 18 days in paradise and a Masters Degree in Bahama Out Island Exploration w/ HD video
Old 14-12-2019, 18:28   #7

Thanks for the info, planning to cross from Andros to Exumas along Scrub Cays next summer.
fotonews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 03:52   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, fotonews.

Thanks for the report, CoopAir.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote