Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2015, 17:31   #1

Looking for Guide Books... Not a List of Facilities... Ideas?

Hi,

More questions.

I have Active Captain going now. It's decent and useful.

There is, however, nothing quite like reading about upcoming terrain while in your bunk on a quiet evening.

I have a girl I've been enamored with for years making the trip from FL to Long Island with me. I want to show her the time of her life, so she looks favorably upon cruising (with me).

Where can I find paper guidebooks just like this one?

Cruising Guide to the Maine Coast

I'm looking for a true guide... with local stories, legends, history, things to do ashore. Stiuff that makes cruising fun and exciting. I want to plan our stops together and have places to look forward to seeing.

I'd like to buy the complete set from Miami to Massachusetts. (the linked guide is the best foir Maine)

Any tips?

Is there such a guide for arewas
2hullvenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 06:22   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Admiral 38 catamaran
Re: Looking for Guide Books... Not a List of Facilities... Ideas?

Along with Active Captain the Dozier Waterway Guide's are a nice addition with color photos and shore side advice. Here is the link to preview the guides http://www.waterwayguide.com/shipstore/index.php?cPath=21

Cheers,
makana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 06:30   #3

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

I suggest the books of the late Claiborne Young. He writes primarily of the South East, telling the history of the area along with highlights of nearby sites. Check out the Salty South East site, they may list the books there. Take your time through the low country, it is a beautiful trip.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 06:34   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Do you have a Coast Pilot for your area?

This is the official guide used by professional mariners and any mariner. It is published by NOAA.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ot%2Caps%2C211

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 07:04   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

If you want to look at the US Coast Pilot without buying the printed version for $18, you can download the PDF's directly from NOAA for free (my favored price point!) ... United States Coast Pilot®

I know you're looking for a paper version to cuddle with, but this will let you preview it to see if it's what you're looking for, and for others who may not want to haul the paper. I've found them somewhat useful for navigation, but not for sightseeing.
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 09:02   #6

Boat: Uniflite, 36 Aft Cabin, KNOT GUILTY

Try A Cruising Guide to the New England Coast, Robert (?) Duncan
Comogene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 09:17   #7

pirate Re: Looking for Guide Books... Not a List of Facilities... Ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comogene View Post
Try A Cruising Guide to the New England Coast, Robert (?) Duncan
I used to have that one. Yes... it's the right type.

The waterway guides don't seem to have too much more than a list of facilities.

It's the history, legends and deep local knowledge of what's ashore in various harbors I'm after. The coat pilot is the exact opposite.

I am outfitting the boat with all the navigation stuff, like the coast pilot, but am looking for books like the one I linked to from Maine, but that cover the whole east coast.

I guess this doesn't exist in a current, updated form?

There's a "make money while cruising" idea. I'm ready to buy them all... Canada to Key West.
Old 14-07-2015, 15:27   #8

on the west coast we have charlies charts.

believe it or not the us coast pilot is good reading

forgot to bring reading material for a trip back from Hawaii it was the only thing on the boat
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 16:37   #9

Boat: csy 37

And all of the U.S. Coast Pilot books are available for free downloading on the NOAA website.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 17:06   #10

Boat: Pearson 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hullvenus View Post

I'm looking for a true guide... with local stories, legends, history, things to do ashore. Stiuff that makes cruising fun and exciting. I want to plan our stops together and have places to look forward to seeing.

I'd like to buy the complete set from Miami to Massachusetts. (the linked guide is the best foir Maine)

Any tips?

Is there such a guide for arewas
I've used Richardson's Maptech or Embassy Guides. I also have the "On the Water Guides" for the ICW. -no affiliation with either

All U Get
Old 15-07-2015, 03:57   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstano View Post
I've used Richardson's Maptech or Embassy Guides. I also have the "On the Water Guides" for the ICW. -no affiliation with either

All U Get
Ah! I forgot about the Embassy guides!

I used to have those as well. They were decent.
Old 15-07-2015, 04:51   #12

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Waterway Guides are not just a list of facilities...in fact, far from it. Waterway Guides include historic info, shoreside access/features, and a large amount of other information on 100s of destinations in its "Goin' Ashore" sections, plus navigation info, facilities listing tables, inlet information, chartlet, and lots of photos, including aerials showing navigational access – and each of the editions are updated every year by on-the-water cruising editors. And we have a website designed to work with the guidebooks to keep users updated.

Northern Edition covers from Maine thru NJ. Chesapeake Bay Edition covers the Bay. Atlantic ICW Edition covers the ICW from VA through GA. Southern Edition covers the rest of the Atlantic ICW in FL, plus the Keys and the Gulf Coast thru TX.

Any questions? Feel free to contact me.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 05:13   #13

Boat: Cape Dory 28 (Sold Nov 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2hullvenus View Post
Hi,

...making the trip from FL to Long Island ... Where can I find paper guidebooks just like this one?

I'm looking for a true guide... with local stories, legends, history, things to do ashore ... I'd like to buy the complete set from Miami to Massachusetts ...
There is no single "complete set" but there are many suitable printed books that cover parts of the regions. Always remember that when it comes to specifics, these books are technically out-of-date when they are printed. However general attractions and regional history are still quite useful.

In the US southeast up through the Carolinas, Claiborne Young's books will do you well enough. Once into the Chesapeake, look for Shellenberger's book. I also like the "Chesapeake Cruising Guide" annual, but it may be too "listy" for your taste. In New Jersey, look for Donald Launer's book. On LIS there are many choices but nothing really outstanding. Duncan and Ware is perhaps the most useful single volume.

I would not recommend the Embassy Guides, although at first they appear useful. They are quite "advert" oriented. Perhaps it's helpful to realize that asking local boat people what they think is a very good method.

You do not state details, but all these books cost money and take up space. If you can find electronic versions (and I have not looked into this), you will probably be way ahead.

Tags
books