Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2016, 11:03   #46

Boat: Cape Dory 28 (Sold Nov 2019)
Re: Looking for advice. Sailing New York to Key West

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Food View Post
looking for any and all good advice on sailing my 28' Oday south I will have some crew and would like to stay out side as much as possible. I understand staying in ICW around cape Haterus is a must is this true even if you have a good weather window ?
Not to beat a dead horse (etc.) but this route is generally done via the ICW and for very good reasons. I cannot recall exactly, but I reckon I've done it well a dozen or so times over perhaps 15 years. Among those times I made several comfortable offshore legs (both up and down). However also among those times I have had quite different experiences that I would prefer not to repeat. Simply put, give you and the boat enough time to allow for ALL contingencies, prep the boat well beyond what this "simple" ditch trip suggests, keep a weather eye at all times, and set no schedules.

Then (and just "maybe") things will be swimmingly fine. Also try to report back to this board with the results of your adventure.
Old 23-10-2016, 11:22   #47
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This thread was started back in 2012 by SAILINGWITHSOUL.

I wonder how his planned voyage went.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 11:52   #48
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Food View Post
thanks for your reply as we will be leaving next week and do hope to stay out side as much as possible.

thanks

Paul
Paul,

The difference between going outside Hatteras and the ICW is about 1 week.
Scoot down the coast of New Jersey and only if the weather turns on you do you need to drop in anywhere. If hatteras is looking dodgy go to Norfolk and go down the ICW.

From there further south its a matter of working out your hops... In the ICW you can do a max of about 50nms wriggly per day. In the ocean you can do 100 in a straight line.

As you have left it so late this year you really need to keep an eye on the weather till south of Hatteras.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 12:16   #49

Boat: Cape Dory 28 (Sold Nov 2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
This thread was started back in 2012 by SAILINGWITHSOUL. I wonder how his planned voyage went.
Considering that we haven't heard from this soul in nearly 4 years, I would not hold out much hope of a pleasant ending.
Old 21-01-2017, 07:56   #50

Boat: 1989 Elan 43s

Hello all,
I am planning a similar trip, from NY to Stuart... In April/May.
My plan: A mix of outside and ICW.
The boat: A 43ft Elan (draft 6.6ft / mast 60ft).
The crew: Me and a friend.

What kind of weather can I expect?

What are the averages temperatures and winds I will most likely be seeing?
Jellyfish M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 05:48   #51

Boat: Oyster 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellyfish M View Post
Hello all,

No one can tell you what kind of weather to expect especially this far in advance. During that time of year I have experienced strong north winds, strong westerly's, rainy easterlies, mild south easterlies and yes no wind. Maybe you can believe the forecast 2 days in advance but you never know. That is why you have to be prepared. Your boat will obviously necessitate going around Hatteras so that will be the most problematic part of your planning.
The secret is to HAVE THE TIME TO WAIT FOR A PROPER WEATHER WINDOW. So would not have ANY faith in what you hear about what kind of weather to expect this far in advance other than where you in your particular boat can negotiate the ICW. Also some of the approaches to the ICW may not be safe if the weather turns sour.
When I first started making these trips I was not a fan of the ICW. Experience has however made me appreciate the protection the ICW affords when the weather turns sour.
How much experience do you have sailing offshore?
If I had your boat I might simply cross the stream and stay west of it until I reached my destination then head back west. Just because you are close to land doesn't mean you can come in when you want to.
Again your trip can be pleasurable if you give it enough time.......but it may take longer than you think.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 05:53   #52

sorry thats "east" of the stream not west.
Old 22-01-2017, 06:01   #53

Thanks Caradow,

I am quite comfortable with offshore, but not my PAX, I do not want to stay "inshore' for the safety, but for the comfort off planning stops for leg stretching, playgrounding and sand castle building... (Suggestion of good spots are welcome!)

Why do you say I would obviously go around Hatteras, I was planning on going inside at Norfolk, down to Morehead City then back out again...

Also if weather is too bad, I might Head up the Delaware and down the Chesapeake...

What would be the best weather to go outside Hatteras?

I have about a month for this trip, maybe a little more.

I am planning a conservative 6kts speed, but Boat is 8-10kts capable.
Old 22-01-2017, 06:10   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jellyfish.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 06:29   #55

Reason I stated staying outside Hatteras was your draft and the ability of your boat to sail upwind.
I have experienced a few shallow spots even in my cat, never scraped but depth was much less than 6 1/2. Years ago owned a 50ft ketch with 6 1/2 foot draft and did bump in some places. I guess if you do go inside just take your time. I am sure there are people with the same draft that feel its quite doable.
I just don't like shallow water. Also there are people on this forum that regularly use the ICW so hopefully they will add their experience. I only use the ICW when I have to.
The trip up the Delaware bay is painful and adds a lot of miles.
Its ugly and heavily congested with commercial traffic. Once was enough for me. Might want to wait out a weather window in Cape May rather than going up the bay.
As far as the right weather to go around Hatteras......no wind, light winds from any direction, a strong westerly would be fine as well as a strong North wind. However its very important to know what the stream is doing. Last year on a trip south much to my ignorance the stream had a meander right up on the beach and this obviously had a very negative influence on our VMG. There are many variables.
Old 22-01-2017, 06:56   #56

One other thing to consider is that I am a sailor, but for this particular trip I do not mind motor-sailing or motoring for 100% of the time if needed. Safety is paramount but so is getting there this time...
I started this delivery last year but Hermina stopped me at Point Judith!

Waiting for the ICW folks to chime in...

Thank you for the welcome GordMay!

Long time reader first time questioner!

Cheers
Old 22-01-2017, 07:18   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Interesting article: “CAPE HATTERAS: Transit Strategies” by Charles Doane
CAPE HATTERAS: Transit Strategies

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 08:59   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellyfish M View Post
Hello all,

Trip is doable as you suggest, combination of inside and outside but as Caradow points out, draft will be a concern. However lots of boats do this with 6' and better drafts with a little care and planning.

I agree that taking the ICW from Norfolk inside around Hatteras is a good idea and, if I recall from my trip, 6'6" should be doable, again with care and planning. I highly recommend that, in addition to the charts, you use some of the additional resources both guides and online to plan the trip and get the latest updates on shoaling and other trouble spots. Several of the guides have online databases that are updated frequently by boaters that transit the ICW with details on the depth and issues they experienced.

Links

Waterway Guide | cruising guide, fuel pricing, navigation alerts and news for boaters and yacht enthusiasts (they are onine on this forum)

https://activecaptain.com/

Cruisers' Net | Cruisers Helping Cruisers

I found one of the Skipper Bob guides (they publish a few) to be very handy. Anchorages Along the Intracoastal Waterway includes not just anchorages (very handy) but also shoaling and other trouble spots and very handy all the bridges with opening schedules and very, very helpful, the bridge name which greatly facilitates contacting them on the VHF to request opening and get replies on any schedule changes or problems. Unless they have changed the format, its in a handy format with all that information organized by ICW mile so you can keep it next to the helm and track all the information as you reach it.

I also took a copy of The Waterway Guide which gave me paper charts (good backup in case of electronics failure) of all the critical areas (inlets, side channels, etc), marina information and some information about problem spots.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
key west, sailing, new york