Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-05-2012, 16:57   #31

Boat: In between boats
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanssouci
When you get down to the Lower Keys, let me know I may have room on our dock. norman2004@sprynet.com
Thanks sanssouci! I reallt appreciate the invitation and will send you an email once as I begin finalizing my plans over the summer.

Old 01-05-2012, 17:20   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl

Warning, warning, danger, danger, 40ft *$2.99ft/day *minimum 30 days = $3600.00 a month!,(not including daily water fee and electric surcharge, or $3.25/ft for restaurant frontage), but you get the $300 cruising permit for FREE!
WoW! that's insane. I was just in a taco place and almost painted the walls with tequila.

I'm glad I know before I called them. I would have laughed my --- off if they quoted me that price.

Thanks for looking out. Cheers!

Old 01-05-2012, 17:40   #33

Boat: contessa 32
Re: Looking for advice. Sailing New York to Key West

Sir: You plan to sail offshore down the E. coast of the US during hurricane season against the gulf stream and not sleep for 4 or 5 days AND you have no real experience?

In your dreams! There, I just saved your life.
Cruising requires using the forces of nature to achieve your goals, no one willingly opposes them. PM me when you get to key West ,I would love to hear your stories.I'll buy the beers.
Regards
Old 01-05-2012, 21:15   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr
PM me when you get to key West ,I would love to hear your stories.I'll buy the beers.
Regards
Ill do just that. I've altered my plans to leave in November. After the hurricanes have left. Gods willing, we'll toast the holidays.

Cheers to my CF bretheren and sist(ren?) for looking out for a fellow sailor.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:59   #35
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

SWS,

Many cruisers from NY/New England start down the coast before November. You have to consider the offshore passage between Sandy Hook and Cape May. It's best done before the gale season really kicks in. Ideally, you would work your way down and then through the Chesapeake to the Hampton Roads area, say, by the end of October. That would well position you for the rest of the trip. Starting from New York in November could expose you to some challenging weather. Recall what the NARC rally encountered offshore last year.
Old 02-05-2012, 20:10   #36

You are Crazyyyyyyyyyyy
1 or 2 even is crazy.
Sounds like you don't know much about making this kind of a trip and not knowing when Hurricane season is tells me you need to do much more research
about making a trip like that.
I sailed from Montauk delayed a day do to weather and we 4 guys took 9 days all off shore east side of gulf stream with 2 day delay in NC weather and equipment problem to Ft Pierce Florida.
It took much planning from atvice from a expert who ddid many trips like this,I am not ttrying to put you down just don't want to read about you and your boat ending up missing at sea or being runned over by a bigger boat when you fall asleep at the wheel.
I took my trip Oct 19 2008 and it was my first off shore trip after many years of boating aand it was no walk in the park out on the ocean 24/7 day after day and no one is going to help if some thing on your boat brakes unless you are in danger of your life.
I hope you get some one who knows alot about offshore sailing to go with you and tells you all the things you will need on your boat and planning for the worst to go wrong.
Good Luck
Nick
Old 03-05-2012, 07:14   #37

Boat: DUFOUR 12000 CT - 45' - SANS SOUCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingwithSoul View Post
Hi Everyone!

I'm in the initial planning/idea phase of sailing From the south shore of Long Island to Key West in late August/September. I just did a brief search on this forum, but was not able to find any threads specific to this trip. Once I get down there, I'm planning to stay for month (maybe two) and just unwind from the city life. I charted a rough course, on the ocean side and came up with 7 days to Miami and 2 days to Key West, averaging 6-7 knots.

I would prefer to take an ocean route as opposed to the ICW because I feel it would be easier for myself alone (maybe +1) to handle as there will be less traffic, tides, currents, bridges, etc., to contend with. I'm thinking a straight shot from Atlantic Beach, NY to West End Grand Bahama. Then turning west to Miami (with a stop over to clean and provision), and finally I'd skirt along the south shore of Florida until I reach Key West. I found a couple of nice marinas for under $500 per month with water/electric/internet included.

I'm sure many of you have done this trip (or similar) and I would appreciate any knowledge/insights you would impart. If anyone has any questions, let me know.

Thanks and Happy Sailing!!!
Last month we motor/sailed a 100' scooner NYC>Jacksonville>KW, we sailed along the beach all the way (counter-current), two on 4 hour watchs, 8 off with 6 people, very safe/very little traffic.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:53   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadaddler View Post
You are Crazyyyyyyyyyyy
1 or 2 even is crazy.
Sounds like you don't know much about making this kind of a trip and not knowing when Hurricane season is tells me you need to do much more research
about making a trip like that.
I sailed from Montauk delayed a day do to weather and we 4 guys took 9 days all off shore east side of gulf stream with 2 day delay in NC weather and equipment problem to Ft Pierce Florida.
It took much planning from atvice from a expert who ddid many trips like this,I am not ttrying to put you down just don't want to read about you and your boat ending up missing at sea or being runned over by a bigger boat when you fall asleep at the wheel.
I took my trip Oct 19 2008 and it was my first off shore trip after many years of boating aand it was no walk in the park out on the ocean 24/7 day after day and no one is going to help if some thing on your boat brakes unless you are in danger of your life.
I hope you get some one who knows alot about offshore sailing to go with you and tells you all the things you will need on your boat and planning for the worst to go wrong.
Good Luck
Nick

Hi Nick!
No worries, I appreciate you sharing your experience. I prefer to think of myself as Bold, but I'll take crazy as a compliment. We all take various levels of calculated risks every day of our lives and we each have our own levels of tolerances for the same. Mine level tends to be pretty high.

Bold as I may be, I am not foolish or suicidal. Before I do set off on this trip I will make sure the ship is stocked, propped and capable of making the voyage, with enough spares to tend to the critical systems if need be. I will also make sure I am physically and mentally ready for the journey.

That said, There is a point where planning, preparing, and caution need to give way to actually doing. So far, everyone has posted a great deal of advise and suggestions to help me plan out a rough departure and route. I'll look into St. Pierce as a possible stop as an alternative to Miami, if you found it a good alternative stop over.

I appreciate everyone's advice, honesty and insights
Old 03-05-2012, 09:05   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanssouci View Post
Last month we motor/sailed a 100' scooner NYC>Jacksonville>KW, we sailed along the beach all the way (counter-current), two on 4 hour watchs, 8 off with 6 people, very safe/very little traffic.
Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for the insight. something to consider if I can't make good time/distance on sails alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
SWS,

Many cruisers from NY/New England start down the coast before November. You have to consider the offshore passage between Sandy Hook and Cape May. It's best done before the gale season really kicks in. Ideally, you would work your way down and then through the Chesapeake to the Hampton Roads area, say, by the end of October. That would well position you for the rest of the trip. Starting from New York in November could expose you to some challenging weather. Recall what the NARC rally encountered offshore last year.
Thank's Hud3! I appreciate you narrowing down the departure window for me. That was the one big question I had. When is it best to actually leave. I'll research the Sandy Hook and Cape May charts over the weekend. Once I get some routes plotted, I'll share them with everyone here.

Happy Sailing Everyone
Old 11-10-2016, 12:32   #40

Boat: Oday sloop 28

looking for any and all good advice on sailing my 28' Oday south I will have some crew and would like to stay out side as much as possible. I understand staying in ICW around cape Haterus is a must is this true even if you have a good weather window ?
Old 11-10-2016, 13:57   #41

Boat: Voyage 440 Owners Version

Sailing around Hatteras with a good weather window is no different that sailing offshore anywhere else.
Just no where to pull in if you encountered problems.
A little over 200 miles without a place to escape must be considered.
The only other thing I could add from experience is that sometimes the GS diverges almost up on the beach and you have to sail in the shallowest water possible to make any headway south.
I have gone around Hatteras when it was a piece of cake and other times when it was not so much pleasure.
If you are hell bent in doing it suggest accurate weather as well as Gulf Stream updates prior to departure. With good weather you will have a good sail.
We are leaving Long Island sound October 25th weather dependent heading straight for Wilmington NC via Hatteras. Then after a short stay on to the Exumas.
However if we had to duck into the ICW it would not be the first time.
If you are asking what to do I would say in your boat I would take the ICW and then reenter the ocean in Beaufort.
Old 11-10-2016, 14:35   #42

I'll join this thread as I am also in the planning stages to move a 28 footer to So. Florida sometime next year. Since she draws 4.5 I would rather go through ICW at a leisurely pace, leaving her and coming back every few weeks or so.

Mostly would be looking to avoid singlehandling altogether but so far my nautical buddies are enthusiastic about the trip.

There was a great blog a while back by a guy who did NY to KW single handed in O'day 25 with an outboard. If I find that bookmark on my old computer I will reference it here.

Found it. A bit dated at 15+ years old but still a good overall example of getting from here to there on a budget.

A Voyage with Michael Caldwell Aboard his 25 foot O' day Sailboat KNOT LIMITED Sailing from New York to Key West Florida Bahamas Michael Caldwell Photographer writer
Old 20-10-2016, 11:30   #43

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

Quote:
Ill do just that. I've altered my plans to leave in November. After the hurricanes have left. Gods willing, we'll toast the holidays.

Cheers to my CF bretheren and sist(ren?) for looking out for a fellow sailor.
Good idea. I did this trip from RI to FL In the first days of December.
The first few days were very chilly.

I did outside from block island to Cape May. Then since the Atlantic wx got worse, I did the D&C and Chesapeake. This was the only part I'd do differently. It would have been better for a 24hr wx window and go direct cape may to Norfolk.

From there I stayed in ICW.

Use Active Captain for places to stop.

Have fun. Best fuel prices are just south of Norfolk. Again see AC.

Richard on Dauntless

Sent from my SM-P905V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 10:48   #44

Boat: Oday sloop 28

thanks for your reply as we will be leaving next week and do hope to stay out side as much as possible.

thanks

Paul
Old 23-10-2016, 07:50   #45

Boat: Cape Dory 28 Sloop - s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat

Quote:
... sailing From the south shore of Long Island to Key West in late August/September ... prefer to take an ocean route as opposed to the ICW ...
As already noted, it's been the experience of many folks over a long period of time that your proposed itinerary is less than ideal. Take the time to reconsider the reasons for choosing your proposed route and you may discover that following in the steps of the thousands of small boat sailors before you is a good idea.

kerrydeare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
key west, sailing, new york

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: