Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2014, 11:31   #1

Looking for a place to keep our sailboat

We are currently looking for a spot in the Carolina's or Virginia to live aboard a 42 ft sailboat. Prefer a Marina with some social activities. We are from Lake Ontario, Canada and looking for somewhere warmer to winter, but not as warm as Florida. Any suggestions would be appreciated. We are also looking to buy the boat somewhere on the East Coast of the US and sail it to its new winter months home.
sunriseset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 12:28   #2

Re: Looking for a place to keep our sailboat

Virginia and NC can get pretty cold.Not much warmer than NYC.I'd suggest Fl. panhandle/northern gulf coast.Perhaps better boat deals also.
Arthur Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 13:16   #3

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

I liked EZ Cruz Marina in Virginia. I even found some guy living in his boat with snow on the ground when I visited, there seemed to be nice amenities, the coin laundry was cheap.

I think social opportunities might be limited, since here in Texas as soon as the temps drop below 60F the fun stops.
Old 28-07-2014, 17:11   #4

Boat: Alberg 35

We just bought a boat and a slip at Anchorage Marina in Baltimore. May not be as far south as you had in mind but as someone from Michigan, it's a lot less winter (usually) than I'm used to. They have several liveaboards and I know there are slips available for rent and purchase in that range. The marina is downtown Baltimore, great community of people in the marina and around it.
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 17:40   #5

last time I was in Florida January to March there was ice in the am in Canaveral and I had to buy a heater! I don't t really think you are going to be too warm in Fl in the winter. It was very pleasant for a PNWester . If you want activities Ft Lauderdale would be good... but it depends on what you mean by activities.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 18:02   #6

Having seen multiple topics like this all over in different boating forums, I always wondered if the replies would be similar to the old question: "Can you tell me about a great ski hill that doesn't have crowds?"
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2014, 19:29   #7

Thank you everyone for your comments. I will widen my search to include northern Florida.
Old 28-07-2014, 19:40   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunriseset View Post
Thank you everyone for your comments. I will widen my search to include northern Florida.
I'm in north Florida and had a friend come visit from Quebec a couple of winters ago who complained the whole time about how cold she was. You will certainly see several periods of freezing temps in a typical winter, even temperatures into the mid teens.

But perhaps a suggestion. Why keep the boat in the same place year round? Do like 99% of the east coast boating fraternity and follow the weather. Florida in the winter, NC, Virginia even New England in the summer.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 06:22   #9

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I'm in north Florida and had a friend come visit from Quebec a couple of winters ago who complained the whole time about how cold she was. You will certainly see several periods of freezing temps in a typical winter, even temperatures into the mid teens.

But perhaps a suggestion. Why keep the boat in the same place year round? Do like 99% of the east coast boating fraternity and follow the weather. Florida in the winter, NC, Virginia even New England in the summer.

Bill
CaptainBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 07:03   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If it's the high cost of Florida that is keeping you away look at the panhandle. Really a different Florida much cheaper but you won't have as many of your Northern friends there
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 08:35   #11

Our tentative plans are to buy another boat on the East Coat of the US,live aboard between November and March, sailing south along the coast, or north from wherever we buy the second boat, during the winter. We do not plan on staying in one place for the winter but moving around. We will keep our current boat here in Toronto to enjoy the summers here. We will leave the second boat wherever the winds lead us in March to return again in the fall. We have sailed the BVI's on three occasions and want a different experience such as living aboard for a few months and sailing to different locations along the US coast. Thanks for all the comments, we are in the planning stages right now doing our research.
Old 04-08-2014, 14:39   #12

Boat: Tartan 30

Y'all might like Southport. Lots of local flavor, with Bald Head Island, Wilmington, Myrtle Beach SC all easy day-sails away. The chick-flick Safe Haven was filmed there, among others. My marina was named 2014 marina of the year by some magazine. Tell them I sent you and I'll get 2 months of free dockage.

Well, tell them I sent you and lease the dock space, and then I'll get free stuff.

November: Stede Bonnet regatta.

Tags
sail, sailboat