Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2011, 12:36   #1

Boat: 1968 Islander 37
Looking for a Buddy Boat - Block Island to Norfolk or Atlantic City

Hey everyone!

My wife and I are on a 37 foot sloop currently moored just west of Cape Cod in Marion MA. We are expecting to launch for our trip south to Florida sometime in the next week or two. Our ideal first leg is to travel from here (or Block Island area) to either Atlantic City or Norfolk directly. The alternative is to eek our way through Long Island sound, through Hells gate, and the south along the Jersey coast. We'd rather just go straight from here to Norfolk or Atlantic City on the outside.

Now all that said, it would be nice to have a buddy boat of similar size/speed to cruise with for the trip. As is often the way things happen, boats wait in harbors for a weather window and then launch together, so...

That gets me thinking. We should be able to launch after this coming Tuesday or Wednesday. So the first available window then would be our time to jump out.

Anyone else here on a similar time frame and interested in heading outside to Atlantic City or Norfolk? It should be a 48 hour jump to Atlantic city or a 72 hour jump to Norfolk. Much better than staying inside the sound and then running the Jersey coast. Just praying for some nice northwest or northeast days!!!

Kristopher
Weehappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 18:12   #2

Boat: PDQ MV34 Powercat
Re: Looking for a Buddy Boat - Block Island to Norfolk or Atlantic City

Hi guys,
we were in Boot Key about the same time as you. Missed the Chocolate fest though. Enjoyed your blog ( great info about Andros); we didn't cross to Bahamas but made much the same trip otherwise.
We depart from Essex, CT on Oct 12-ish and will endure LIS and NYC to end up at Sandy Hook before an overnight offshore to Norfolk. We don't mind the ICW and do like to jump out when conditions allow; fuel-saver mode we call it.
Perhaps we'll see you along the way! and enjoy your new boat.
Here's to safe and happy travels!
Lori & Russ
Old 30-09-2011, 09:21   #3

Hi Lori and Russ,
Thanks for your reply! It's nice to hear from you. I think I do remember your boat's name from Marathon last year! So you will be leaving around the 12th then. That's nice to know. Maybe we will bump into each other then. Now we are hoping to leave here in the next week or so, but weather will determine that. Hopefully it won't make us wait too long! I can just feel these days getting shorter and shorter each day! We'll keep an eye out for you and keep you in mind as we are taking off, just in case we can cross paths.

Anyone else leaving the Connecticut/Massachusetts/Rhode island coast to head south soon?

Kristopher
Old 30-09-2011, 10:32   #4

Boat: FP Athena 38

We are heading south but we are taking the ICW. We are in Annapolis right now till the 11th. We are heading to New Smyrna Beach. We started this trip out in the USVI. We went up to Maine and now we are making our way back down.
Cats Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 11:54   #5

I wish we were in Annapolis right now like you! I hate that we are going to be leaving late again like we did last year. I would much rather have left already...like around September 1st or so...a month ago now.

Well enjoy your trip south! I'm sure Annapolis is lovely right now.
Kristopher
Old 30-09-2011, 15:53   #6

We left Maine around Sept 3rd. It was perfect timing. We pulled into Annapolis around Sept 22nd. We are hanging for the sailboat show and then taking off again. We might take the outside some days, all depends on the weather and our mood. We are in no real rush. I would like to be in Florida around the beginning of November.

Enjoy your sail down!
Old 02-10-2011, 09:43   #7

That sailboat show should be excellent! So many gadgets and gizmos and modern boats to look at. Enjoy!

I've just heard of another boat in the harbor here that is supposedly leaving soon. I'm going to dinghy over and say hi. The name is s/v Another Adventure.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:02   #8

Okay, it is currently looking like we will be able to take off tomorrow. By this I mean that I am selling my car tonight, and that is the last thing holding us to land.

First glance at the weather indicates that we may be in a nice window for the trip right now. I think we are going to change the itinerary to allow us to check out Cutteyhunk or Marthas Vinevard and then Block Island or Montauk. Then we will probably jump to Atlantic City or Cape May and anchor for a night and then jump to Norfolk from there. That puts us into Norfolk on Sunday sometime. Excellent.

Kristopher
Old 03-10-2011, 11:38   #9
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Starting a new adventure is so exciting!

Bon Voyage ; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:19   #10

Got delayed yesterday, but it looks like we are taking off today. We are going to head out into Buzzards Bay and see how it is and then probably go to either Cutteyhunk Island or maybe to Newport RI if the winds are uncomfortably strong for us and we want to stay near to the north shore.

We've renamed our just purchased new (to us) boat last night, and we'll be putting up a new blog with the new name soon. It's a play on our last boat's name. She's now "Way Happy"

Kristopher
Old 05-10-2011, 11:44   #11

Kristopher & Lita,
you've chosen a great name- love it. a perfect extension to Wee Happy. And who isn't way happy to have a new and bigger boat? Hope the brisk winds didn't hold you back at all.
If you decide to go inside through LIS let us know; or just check ActiveCaptain for all the tips on good places to stop- even if you just need a good spot to anchor safely for the night.
Lori
Ortolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 14:17   #12

sitting in the block island old anchorage right now. Contemplating taking off tonight for Atlantic City/Cape May. Wish the winds would shift more north so we could stay closer to shore, but the forecast says they won't until tomorrow morning. Don't really want to wait that long to leave since tomorrow is supposed to be a light day.

Wish we had a buddy boat!! We'll be monitoring 16 all the way incase anyone wants to hail us.
Old 09-10-2011, 18:54   #13

We are here with Harmony II docked in front of us and forgot to mention to them you were looking for a buddy boat. They were going to leave today (outside I think), but perhaps tomorrow. Looks like we're going to get rain going thru NYC on Thurs. Then may have to wait a bit to leave from Sandy Hook so as not to have the wind right on our nose (s)!
travel safe
Old 12-10-2011, 18:19   #14

So where is everyone now? We leave annspolis on saturday. (I think)
Old 14-10-2011, 14:47   #15

We are in Atlantic City now waiting for a window to open. We may sneak our way down to Cape May while we are waiting. In all likelihood we will jump out from here or Cape May for Norfolk next week when the big high gets here...maybe Thursday?

Tags
Norfolk Island