Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2017, 12:57   #31

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5
Re: Long Island Sound Traffic and current question

If you arrive at mid tide or above obviously you'll be fine. If you arrive after mid falling tied you may have a problem. Really needs to be dredged, but political BS. As usual.
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 12:58   #32

Tide I meant
Old 21-03-2017, 13:46   #33

If this is a delivery and you have provisions... do the Eaton's Neck anchorage... it's a fabulous precious anchorage... save lots of time...

I moor in NPT and only have great things to say about this harbor. Absolutely nothing not to like... except if you draw more than 5' you'll be aground at the town dock at full low tide.

Incredible public bathroom in the park... no shower of course... but MARBLE! No better eats to be had... and very pet friendly...

Transient moorings are to be had... Hail Seymours on 68.. but the mooring field is large and if you anchor you'll be way out... over by the first channel buoy R2. Fine in SW and a bit exposed to the NE breezes.

Of course you won't have a chance to enjoy NPT... if you are on a schedule doing a delivery.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 19:03   #34

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Plenty of water in Manhasset Bay, but with your draft of 6.6 ft. best to anchor or pick up a free (for 48 hrs.) yellow mooring lining the channel as(stated above) you will be limited in some marinas to moving at mid tide and above.
Port Washington Water taxi will take you anywhere in the bay, north dinghy dock
best for provisioning as is across street from large StopnShop and more as stated.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 20:19   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugosalt View Post
Plenty of water in Manhasset Bay, but with your draft of 6.6 ft. best to anchor or pick up a free (for 48 hrs.) yellow mooring lining the channel as(stated above) you will be limited in some marinas to moving at mid tide and above.
Port Washington Water taxi will take you anywhere in the bay, north dinghy dock
best for provisioning as is across street from large StopnShop and more as stated.
The guest moorings are out for the season and so is the water taxi service. I work on their launches. Please don't give out info if you don't know what your talking about. You could set someone up for a bad situation. Thank you
Old 21-03-2017, 20:57   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idylles15.5 View Post
The guest moorings are out for the season and so is the water taxi service. I work on their launches. Please don't give out info if you don't know what your talking about. You could set someone up for a bad situation. Thank you
Hey Nelson, your right, moorings/water taxi are out for the season...now...
but you think they might be back in service when Jellyfish will be making
his delivery at the end of April. (see post #8)
Second thought as you work for Matt on the launches, I'm sure you know what your talking about when you say moorings/water taxi will not be there at the end of April...right...
Old 22-03-2017, 04:38   #37

I swear I don't smoke pot lol. Maybe I inhaled to much Awlgrip lol. I'm wondering when I'm going to get a call from jellyfish to go get a beer this week. Lol. So yes, moorings should be in because The water taxi season starts on the 18th of April I believe. I'll call Matt and make sure. My bad, sorry, now I'm giving out **** info. Look at my post,I'mije yeah I'll be working late all this week and staying on my boat lol. Oops.
Old 22-03-2017, 05:23   #38

Just spoke to him, April 15
Old 22-03-2017, 05:55   #39

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellyfish M View Post
Day 1- Ride the current from Pt Judith to Fisher Island
Day 2- Fisher Island to Hempstead
Day 3- Hempstead to Brooklin

This will add just one day to my first leg, but will be more laid back I think... Plus I will sleep at anchor and I will ride with the current for 80% of the time...

Thoughts?
Not sure where you think you're going to anchor in Brooklyn although I suppose it is theoretically possible around Governor's Island, and taking a slip will set you back around @ $200+ per night. And you'll be right under the BQE which is not exactly quiet. Amazing view of the Battery at night though, truly spectacular.

When I go through NYC I stage at Manhasset, catch the tide going through Hell Gate, and scoot on down to Sandy Hook in one shot. You basically want to get out of the East River as quickly and efficiently as possible as it is a bad place to be if you lose power and the crossing high speed ferry traffic can be intense, particularly at rush hour. The traffic through the Hudson is heavy but manageable and pretty well organized.

Unless you have a good reason to stop in Brooklyn, I'd keep going.

Time your transit through the East River very carefully. The current, rips, and eddies are not to be trifled with. For example, going south through the Hell Gate the current can be more than five knots, and the eddies can carry you sideways almost as fast. It can be disconcerting to have your boat moving 45 degrees off from where you're boat is pointing at 10 knots.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 07:22   #40

Yeh the awgrip fumes will do it. All good, but you have to make it up to me...
so now you have to give an extra treat to your white boxer before we call it even!

Never to minimize going thru Hell Gate, but even at full current with you (which I almost
always do with my 30 fter) you will be good in your 40+ fter. Just always maintain
way/steering in the current. My concern would be a strong opposing wind to current
as will likely be standing waves with there back to you that you will not see.
Always stay on the west side of Roosevelt Is. (low bridge on east side) and
enjoy the NY skyline/Statue of Liberty. Is not a white knuckle transit.
Old 22-03-2017, 18:34   #41

Boat: 1989 Elan 43s

Nelson,
I am from StLouis,MO, so no beer this week... Beer in April, depending on how my schedule goes....

Suijin,
I booked a slip at Liberty Landing. A friend from Germany is meeting me there to help me along the rest of the trip. I said Brooklin because I was thinking about: No Sleep Till Brooklin

As this is a delivery, I will sail of course, but I will start my Iron Genoa, anytime my speed gets to under 6kts as although I have a comfortable and flexible deadline, it is still a deadline.

A lot of valuable information here, I look forward to "Zooming with the current"....
Jellyfish M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 18:56   #42

Little Beastie Boys huh. Nice, I cruise to Couldn't stand the weather by Stevie Ray lol. So I had my months mixed up. Were not going out for cocktails this week huh lol. If you can hang out for a friday night we have a great Tiki Bar with Live Bands, lots of fun, and if they aren't playing yet, A dock is where all the nuts are. A bunch of characters, so you'll have fun either way.
Old 22-03-2017, 19:41   #43

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Jellyfish, just to add a few data points --
1) There is hardly any current along the RI beaches between Point Judith and Watch Hill -- not enough to matter in your plans anyway, until you get closer to Watch Hill. Watch Hill Passage into Fishers Island Sound has swift currents, although less than the "The Race" area south of Fishers Island.
2) With your 6.5 foot draft you need to watch the charts closely in Fishers Island Sound. Quite a few charted clumps of granite and shoals.
3) East Harbor is nicer than West Harbor Fishers Island, IMHO. Neither one is good in a northerly. In a northerly, you want to anchor on the CT side, and your choices in Fishers Island Sound are Stonington harbor, Mystic/Noank, or I like the area east of Ram Island.
4) I like your revised plan. If you get decent weather it should be a pleasant trip. There are plenty of alternate stops as others have noted.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
current, Long Island, long island sound