Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2008, 22:43   #1

Loma Partida or Bocas del Toro Panama

As some of you know I'll be retiring this spring, probably, and I'd like a little info for what I'd like to be my first sail. I have a cousin that has acreage around Loma Partida, in Colombia. She has a 12x18 house with a 40 foot boat dock. She got rid of the peace corp potty and now has a flush toilet. whoopee!! She's building a larger house with the help of Indian laborers. They get paid $9.00 a day and do a lot of work.

She's just installed solar panels, generator and has has cell phone service.I'd like to go down and see her and spend some time in the tropics. What weather will likely be encountered and I can't go straight there from Florida because someone put Cuba in the way.

Would I be better to stay within sight of the coast or just go for it. She said that some of the prettiest sailing conditions that she's ever seen are around "her island".

her website is :MySpace.com - Michelle - 100 - Female - Loma Partida, Panama and Ocean Isle Beach , North Carolina - www.myspace.com/mantamamma

I'll be sailing a boat something like a HC33. I was sure until I read some great posts and did more research on this blasted forum. Clippers are very pretty and appear to be extremely seakindly also. I'll take my checkbook and vacation in the next few months and stay gone until I close on a boat.

Has anyone made this trip and .....uh...how was it?? Check out Michelle's website and you'll see pics of her cat (ocelot) named Rita and all kinds of wildlife. Thanks again for any help. ---Bill---

Bill Burgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 05:37   #2

Wow shes a looker, I can see why you would want to go visit.
Volksdraggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 07:09   #3

Boat: Watkins 27
Yes a very pretty lady.

Volks, are you out sailing or still in Kemah?

Lostmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 07:28   #4

Actually I'm been stuck in College Station to help out a elderly family member for a few weeks before I head out, giving some time for this sucky weather to go away. Sorry I haven't had a opportunity to message ya Lostmt, these holidays have been crazy but soon as I am back to town, lets hang out.
Volksdraggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 08:19   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
I took a 33-footer to Bocas from West Palm Beach, FL. I hopped all of the way down, so the quickest route is probably different from the way that I went. Where are you starting from?

Tags
Panama Canal, Panama