Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2011, 02:26   #1

Boat: Islander Freeport 41, AEGEA
Local Info - Naples, FL Area

My wife and I have been looking for a house in the Naples area for some time. We have been focusing on Marco Island, but the pickings there have become slim lately. We have a 41 foot Islander Freeport with 5 feet of draft. I've decided to expand the search to Isles of Capri, but the charts there are not very useful. I'm looking for local knowledge about the bays on the Isles. Is there enough depth for my boat to get in and out? Is it reasonable to expect to dock it in that area? Any help greatly appreciated.

Dick Pluta
AEGEA
Dick Pluta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 09:20   #2

Re: Local Info - Naples, FL Area

Don't know much about sailing with 5' draft in naples but how about FT MYERS,good location for sailboat and plenty pickings and not as pricey as naples,PUNTA GORDA has many canals for house with a dock.
Seadaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:59   #3

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Pluta View Post
. We have a 41 foot Islander Freeport with 5 feet of draft.
Dick Pluta
AEGEA
Might want to think about a different boat for the West FL coast.... better to look on the East Coast ... 5 ft is a lot of water for S.W. Florida where the real beauty is all the back water.... If you don't mind keeping the boat at a deep water Marina, you might want to check out Bonita Bay, I think that is the best community in S.W. Florida... on the water but direct access to US 41 so no long waits to get out.... You could get in and out of their Marina during high tide but not low tide... Devil's pass will be the bottle neck... but the area is really special...

Cheers
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:10   #4

Boat: Islander Freeport 41, AEGEA

Thanks for the input, guys.

We have spent the last 2 winters in Cape Coral and the 5 feet isn't too bad. We did have one incident when there was a 5 day norther that blew all the water out of the river, leaving us high and dry and in a hotel. Other than that, with a little care, we've done OK.

We have been focused on Marco Island. There are some parts that are fine for our draft, but, as I said earlier, the pickings are getting slim and we are trying to expand our search area. Isles of Capri has what appears to be some nice areas, but the charts are hopelessly short on data. That was the point of my original question.

Dick
Dick Pluta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:31   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

5ft fits just fine into appalachiacola and port st joe...we were there with 4 1/2 ft draft and i will be there with 6'6 draft... i wont be able to go to appalachiacola, but there are places i can go in western fla. 5 ft draft is no big deal there.
ft myers and marco also was good fo r5 ft draft---ueseppe island was barely doable --we skimmed over a shoal at high tide..but there are well marked and deep places to sail a 5 ft draft in west fla.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote