Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2012, 12:54   #1

Boat: Ericson 35 Mk III
Little Harbor, Abaco

Planning on crossing to Abaco next month. Eventually, I'll be going out of the Little Harbor cut to head to Andros. Last time, we just anchored behind Lynyard Cay before making the crossing. I'm toying with the idea of actually going into Little Harbor for a couple of nights this time. Is it worth visiting? I know the entrance can be tricky with a 5' draft so I have to take it on a rising tide. Can you still anchor in there? So many former anchorages have gone the way of mooring balls but the cruising guides haven't quite caught up with the info. I know Explorer charts still say you can get mooring balls/anchor in Fresh Creek, Andros. Not true, although the marina there isn't bad. Any info would be welcome.
SVMorningStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 15:36   #2

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
Re: Little Harbor, Abaco

When I was there last...2010 although there were plenty of mooring balls we found room to anchor. We enjoyed our couple of days there. Some nice walks with great views. The foundry showroom was nice to visit as were the various bronze scupltures scattered around the place. Make certain you stay in the middle of the balls when going in. Have fun!
Fair Winds
Witchcraft
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 11:07   #3

Boat: gemini 3200

We enjoyed 3 days in little harbor last March on a mooring ball. There is a little room to anchor, but the moorings are cheap. The pub is a must stop place, the foundry nice but not the place to pick up gifts for friend$.

In a cat we were not concerned about depth but there were deep draft mono's there. One couple we spoke with used the tides without any trouble.

I wish I were there now, enjoy!

CHeeRS!
-dennis
fla.sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 11:58   #4

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

It is a must stop, lots of boats in last week coming up from Exuma headed to the states & points north. Usually room to anchor. Great fresh fish at the pub. Pete is around.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 12:41   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVMorningStar View Post
I know Explorer charts still say you can get mooring balls/anchor in Fresh Creek, Andros. Not true, although the marina there isn't bad. Any info would be welcome.
Slightly offtopic, but... when we were in Fresh Creek, 2 out of 3 moorings were still there (you just had to dive and setup your own mooring line), but they were all at less than 3-4 feet depths closer to the bridge. Unless they moved the actual moorings, they should still be there...
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 13:04   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla.sailor View Post
but the moorings are cheap.
But how much as cheap? And was there a cost to land your dinghy etc?
Old 23-03-2012, 13:14   #7

Boat: Catalina C-400 Mk II

Was there in April of 2011. Do not attempt cut with strong easterlies. Once through the cut you can go into the inner harbor towards Pete's Pub at high tide. I stayed on the outside of harbor as I draw almost 6 ft. Anchorage is a little west and can be a little swelly but secure in all conditions except from a north breeze. Try to sneak as south as you can, depth permitting. Pete's is a must!
msw611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 15:39   #8

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft

We enjoyed Petes as well...bring a t shirt to sign and pin up. Great views if you take the walk up to the lighthouse.
Have fun
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 07:50   #9

Boat: Irwin 42

We were in Little Harbor not too long ago, and I agree with the above!! Petes is a must see!! Also, you can dink out thru the cut & there is a beautiful reef to snorkle or dive. Our draft is 41/2' & we had no problems going in with the tides. Also, check out the caves!! Have a great time!!
Old 25-03-2012, 05:08   #10

Boat: Ericson 35 Mk III
Thanks for the feedback, all! My 17yo son will love the idea of caves. Sounds like it's worth a stop.
SVMorningStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 06:04   #11

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia

We were in Little Harbour in Feb. 2012. Moorings are $15 per night, pay at the pub. When we were there at least six boats were anchored in addition to an almost full mooring field. A GREAT stop. Learn a bit about the Johnston's story before you go. This blog post has a link to the Johnston's book.

more JOY everywhere!: Pete's 18th Annual 50th Birthday Party: A Pilgrimage of Sorts
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Jane.Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 06:07   #12

Boat: 42' Fountaine Pajot Venezia

Dinghy landing is free on the beach - a pretty laid back place, is Little Harbour.
(connecting bloggers to readers and readers to topics in the cruising/liveaboard communities)
Jane.Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 06:57   #13

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I believe the controlling depth is 3.5 ft. MLW, so almost any hide tide should be adequate. Check your tide charts. I assume you'll want a very early morning departure to head out the cut, so to time that might mean staging elsewhere the night before, such as behind Lynyard or the Bight of Old Robinson - I've even anchored there when I didn't want to be limited by the tide schedule and just took the dingy into Little Harbour.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abaco