Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2015, 07:24   #1
TCC

Leaving sailboat in BVI for the winter

Hello,
I am planning to leave the sailboat in BVI from mid Nov to mid January.
Any suggestion for an affordable and safe marina?
Sylvain
TCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2015, 08:19   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 44i SO
Re: Leaving sailboat in BVI for the winter

I am also looking for the same thing. Have done lots of online searches. St Croix and Turks and Caicos seem to have the better rates. Tortola the better location but about $100 a month more. St Thomas is more expensive.

I have found rates at docks with security and marina amenities for around $700 a month up to $1000 a month. This is based on a 6 month stay, November to May and a 42 foot boat. Caveat, this is online information only. I have not yet called them to discuss availability.

My next step is to print out information from each and start making calls.
l2ridehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2015, 08:22   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

wow you guys are seeking slippage in high season.. could be a good thread to watch , here...how is pricing in caribbean in high season??
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 05:35   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, TCC.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 09:48   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCC View Post
Hello,
I am planning to leave the sailboat in BVI from mid Nov to mid January.
Any suggestion for an affordable and safe marina?
Sylvain
As a BVI resident I can tell you that we have no
REASONABLE Marinas. Basically, there are three full service marinas for you to chose from: Nanny Cay, Village Cay and Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbour. additionally, you can look into the USVI, St. Thomas should that suit your needs.
you can expect to pay for the months that you want (if available) between $1.50 and two per foot. Both water and electricity are additional as well.
If you require fewer amenities there are other choices available. It may be that you do not need a full set of options.....which means that you're opening up the field to other places such as Levrick Bay, Scrub Island and a few others.
svinvictus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 10:05   #6

Have you considered trying to find qualified boat sitters? It could stay at anchor and you could have a storm contingency plan. For those months I would think you
would not have to pay much.
Iaangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 11:17   #7

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch

Try this and see if they have availability. http://marinas.com/mobile/marina/824...Virgin_Islands

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 20:45   #8

Boat: PDQ 44i

As alternatives to a marina, consider putting her on a mooring at Penns Landing, Fat Hogs Bay, with Penns Landing as a caretaker. Or have her hauled and put her in a boatyard. Ask your insurance company whether this decision has a bearing on your insurance rate.
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2015, 21:32   #9

Boat: Bavaria 33 Cruiser

Like doublewide says, Penn's Landing. Great friendly people, small, out insurance recognizes them as a safe mooring in a named storm (properly sunk anchors), on site showers, close to Rite Way market, a good Chanlery and laundromat all in walking distance. You can also get taxis or the bus ($2 a person).

Our 33 runs $420 a month and we have them go aboard her once a month to exercise everything for $50, and they keep a watchful eye on everything as the managers live in site. Well worth it.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
CurtisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2015, 06:28   #10

Boat: Leopard 50 Catamaran

I kept my boat at Nanny Cay and it was looked after by Johnny's Maritime. Trust me after leaving my boat in the Caribbean for three years it's less about the money when you're back home wondering how your boat is, how it fares during storms and who's looking after it. don't save a couple hundred dollars !go straight to Nanny Cay Tortola it's the best marina in the Caribbean I have found

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
happytogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 08:03   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Hi there,

I manage private boats in BVI at HR Penn's Marina in Road Town. Dockage and full service looking after (ie, daily visit to check lines, fenders, bilges and batteries) monthly report to owner on general state of boat which includes recommendations - eg - stainless steel needs attention, etc, etc).

Cost is 500/month. Any additional work is billed out at 40/hr.

If the boat stays for over a month, she will Need a Temporary Import Licence which costs $202 (the extra 2 is for the paper!). We can sort that for you.

We offer "turn around" services so that for example prior to a visit by yourself or friends we flash up the fridges, make the boat sparkly clean and can organise provisions etc. After a visit we clean up, sort the laundry and attend to any defects.

Its by no means the classiest or smartest marina around -which is why its pretty well priced! Tony

PS we can also deliver the boat from/to BVI -or anywhere else for that matter and can pre-position her down islands if you want to try other cruising areas or collect her back after you have done so.
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 08:38   #12
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvimatelot View Post
Hi there,

I manage private boats in BVI at HR Penn's Marina in Road Town. Dockage and full service looking after (ie, daily visit to check lines, fenders, bilges and batteries) monthly report to owner on general state of boat which includes recommendations - eg - stainless steel needs attention, etc, etc).

Cost is 500/month. Any additional work is billed out at 40/hr.

If the boat stays for over a month, she will Need a Temporary Import Licence which costs $202 (the extra 2 is for the paper!). We can sort that for you.

We offer "turn around" services so that for example prior to a visit by yourself or friends we flash up the fridges, make the boat sparkly clean and can organise provisions etc. After a visit we clean up, sort the laundry and attend to any defects.

Its by no means the classiest or smartest marina around -which is why its pretty well priced! Tony

PS we can also deliver the boat from/to BVI -or anywhere else for that matter and can pre-position her down islands if you want to try other cruising areas or collect her back after you have done so.
That seems incredibly expensive. Good for you if a number of people pay that rate.

In St. Maarten I paid $100/week for a person to spend 8 hours each week on the boat cleaning, waxing, repairing, whatever needed done. The boat was in perfect condition with the air conditioner running when we arrived and we left with dirty sheets and towels piled on the floor. He also checked the lines every day, prepared the boat for hurricane season and re-rigged when it was over. The day I left he said it was the best job he ever had.
Old 18-09-2015, 08:55   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
That seems incredibly expensive. Good for you if a number of people pay that rate.

In St. Maarten I paid $100/week for a person to spend 8 hours each week on the boat cleaning, waxing, repairing, whatever needed done. The boat was in perfect condition with the air conditioner running when we arrived and we left with dirty sheets and towels piled on the floor. He also checked the lines every day, prepared the boat for hurricane season and re-rigged when it was over. The day I left he said it was the best job he ever had.
Well, Palarran, I know you know the Virgin Islands!! But, really, I don't think we are badly priced - remember it is including the dockage. 100 a week just for the guardiennage side of things? How much was dockage? From experience, we find that owners average out considerably less than 100 a week for our additional services.
Old 18-09-2015, 09:49   #14
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvimatelot View Post
Well, Palarran, I know you know the Virgin Islands!! But, really, I don't think we are badly priced - remember it is including the dockage. 100 a week just for the guardiennage side of things? How much was dockage? From experience, we find that owners average out considerably less than 100 a week for our additional services.
There was no inference that I knew the bvi's well. I missed that your price included the mooring fee's. With that included it's a great deal so sorry.

If you read my response though, I was paying for all cleaning, waxing, repairs, etc for $100 per week. $5200 per year for a 56' catamaran - that really is a bargain.

On a dock with a year contract at Captain Olivers was $900 per month including electricity and water. In comparison I received a price from Nanny Cay several years ago and it was around $2,500 per month. That was too big a difference to justify the move, but just barely.
Old 18-09-2015, 10:13   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
There was no inference that I knew the bvi's well. I missed that your price included the mooring fee's. With that included it's a great deal so sorry.

If you read my response though, I was paying for all cleaning, waxing, repairs, etc for $100 per week. $5200 per year for a 56' catamaran - that really is a bargain.

On a dock with a year contract at Captain Olivers was $900 per month including electricity and water. In comparison I received a price from Nanny Cay several years ago and it was around $2,500 per month. That was too big a difference to justify the move, but just barely.
No problems, shipmate! I too, slightly missread, or at least, didn't pick up on, the repair side of life which makes your 100/week good too!

Basically, my deal is 400/month dockage (but electricity and water pay as its used) and 100/month for guardienage services with anything on top billed out at 40/hour plus parts at cost.

As I said, its not the prettiest dock and can be rolly if a passing ferry "forgets" the speed limit. But the location is central, the store is within walking distance, and the Pub (quite a good watering hole) is on the dock. Its showers are basic but you can get wifi..... Tony

Tags
sail, sailboat