Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2015, 11:08   #16
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: Leaving sailboat in BVI for the winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvimatelot View Post
No problems, shipmate! I too, slightly missread, or at least, didn't pick up on, the repair side of life which makes your 100/week good too!

Basically, my deal is 400/month dockage (but electricity and water pay as its used) and 100/month for guardienage services with anything on top billed out at 40/hour plus parts at cost.

As I said, its not the prettiest dock and can be rolly if a passing ferry "forgets" the speed limit. But the location is central, the store is within walking distance, and the Pub (quite a good watering hole) is on the dock. Its showers are basic but you can get wifi..... Tony
Tony, with a rate like that I want to be friends because you will probably be watching over Palarran in 14 months

We should be arriving back in the Caribbean for the winter 2016/17.
Old 18-09-2015, 12:07   #17
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Tony,
I looked up your marina. Is the rate your quoting for a mooring or dock? Regardless, it's still quite a bit less than Nanny Cay. Assuming you also charge 1.5x for catamarans it would be $1,554 per month compared to Nanny at $2,775. Both are plus electricity and water. $650 more per month for the BVI's compared to St. Maarten isn't outlandish, IMO

Nanny Cay Summer and Winter marina rates in Nanny Cay
Marina rates | Penn’s Landing Marina
and
Slip Rentals
Old 18-09-2015, 16:04   #18

Boat: Bavaria 33 Cruiser

I think Penn's Landing and the Penn's that Tony is talking about is different. Penn's Landing is in East End. He said his Penn's is in Road Town.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
CurtisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 16:21   #19

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Guys - you are right - there are 2 Penn's (same family - different location) Penn's Landing, the better known one, is in Fat Hogs By East End. HR Penn's marina is in Road Town, its the dock next to The Pub and Conch Charters.

Palarran - the rate quoted is for a dock and Reggie Penn (the owner) doesn't differentiate between monos and cats - at least not when he's dealing with me! Since I'm virtually the only one who regularly parks boats with him, I'm cut a lot of slack...

The rates I quoted were last year's and he hasn't upped them for a very long time so I'm meeting him next week to fix the coming season rates and will pm all those who have contacted me with the news.

Palarran again - 56 footer might have to be parked on a "half finger", stern to with a mooring ball (regularly serviced) as a holder off. Its a bit more fiddly to get into it but I've had 2 cats there side by side with nice spacing in between.
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 16:25   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisM View Post
Like doublewide says, Penn's Landing. Great friendly people, small, out insurance recognizes them as a safe mooring in a named storm (properly sunk anchors), on site showers, close to Rite Way market, a good Chanlery and laundromat all in walking distance. You can also get taxis or the bus ($2 a person).

Our 33 runs $420 a month and we have them go aboard her once a month to exercise everything for $50, and they keep a watchful eye on everything as the managers live in site. Well worth it.

Is that with the fairly new management or are you talking about when Walter ran it? Great reputation with Walter but I haven't really checked it out since he was rather abruptly removed and I think the family decided to run it themselves.
Old 19-09-2015, 20:51   #21

Boat: Bavaria 33 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvimatelot View Post
Is that with the fairly new management or are you talking about when Walter ran it? Great reputation with Walter but I haven't really checked it out since he was rather abruptly removed and I think the family decided to run it themselves.
It was John and Nancy but they seem to be gone now. They're still honoring our price, but it'll cost more next time around as they don't let ya just do the monthly checkup. Now you have to have weekly checkups at $50 a pop so we're saving $150 a month for now.

And, the new management seemed to charge much more than I am happy with on named storm prep, but what can I do from California.

CurtisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 09:38   #22

Yes 'tis often the way, I'm afraid! I'll have to up there and have a sniff around! Tony

Tags
sail, sailboat