Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2012, 17:40   #1

Leaving my boat in Florida

I'm coming close to the end of the first leg of my great advernture - sailing to the Bahamas. By then end of October I will have to go back to work until the begining of February. I will be in Savannah in a few days and probably be in the Jacksionville, FL area within a week or so. Then I'll need to fly back to NJ. Does anyone know of a good, secure marina where I could winter my boat (Still Crazy" Catalina 310) for 3 months?
Jeffrey Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 17:46   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Leaving my boat in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Wolfe View Post
I'm coming close to the end of the first leg of my great advernture - sailing to the Bahamas. By then end of October I will have to go back to work until the begining of February. I will be in Savannah in a few days and probably be in the Jacksionville, FL area within a week or so. Then I'll need to fly back to NJ. Does anyone know of a good, secure marina where I could winter my boat (Still Crazy" Catalina 310) for 3 months?
In or out of the water? I like Loggerhead Marina in Hollywood if you're staying in the water.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 18:40   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Even though I live in N Florida I'm not familiar with the marinas around Jacksonville. I kept my boat at Brunswick Landing Marina for a new months and was very happy with the place. Good solid docks, protected area, not too expensive.

I also brought my boat up the St Johns River to Green Cove Springs. If you want to keep the boat out of the water for the winter Green Cove Springs Boatyard would be a very good spot.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 18:52   #4

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Green Cove Springs is basically a suburb of Jacksonville, just across a bridge. The place is littered with marinas and boat yards, many industrial strength. If you want to go South a while Indiantown Marina is worth a look. Just use google to find names of the Green Cove Springs marinas.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 19:01   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl
Green Cove Springs is basically a suburb of Jacksonville, just across a bridge. The place is littered with marinas and boat yards, many industrial strength. If you want to go South a while Indiantown Marina is worth a look. Just use google to find names of the Green Cove Springs marinas.
Thanks. I'll check it out
Old 14-10-2012, 19:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie

In or out of the water? I like Loggerhead Marina in Hollywood if you're staying in the water.
Good question. I'm not really sure. I guess price would be an issue. I don't know of other benefits one way or the other
Old 14-10-2012, 19:05   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac
Even though I live in N Florida I'm not familiar with the marinas around Jacksonville. I kept my boat at Brunswick Landing Marina for a new months and was very happy with the place. Good solid docks, protected area, not too expensive.

I also brought my boat up the St Johns River to Green Cove Springs. If you want to keep the boat out of the water for the winter Green Cove Springs Boatyard would be a very good spot.
Thanks. Several people have recommended Brunswick Landing Marina to me and that is high on my list.
Old 14-10-2012, 19:05   #8

Boat: csy 37

green cove springs is the place. just up the st. johns river from jacksonville. two cruising friends of mine have wintered their boats over at gcs. and did i mention they're very cheap?
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 19:10   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37
green cove springs is the place. just up the st. johns river from jacksonville. two cruising friends of mine have wintered their boats over at gcs. and did i mention they're very cheap?
Thanks. I appreciate the help. That would be a good area for me.
Old 14-10-2012, 19:10   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

If you want to store dry in Green Cove

Green Cove Springs Marina - The Cruiser's Homeport

In the water

Reynolds Park Yacht Center

Brunswick Landing Marina, in the water

Brunswick Landing Marina - A Full Service Marina in Brunswick, Georgia
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 19:43   #11

Boat: Corbin39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie

Who wouldnt like loggerhead, if ya wanna blow $900 a month, but they do pamper you!
Agape39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 19:49   #12

Boat: Corbin39
If your leaving it for 3 months and don't have anyone looking after if, haul it out with no worries. Green Cove would also be my choice. Just my 2 cents
Agape39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 19:54   #13

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
I'll second Loggerhead. I had a boat at their Vero location. But they were hurting for boats back then so it was about 500/mo for a 34' trimaran.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 13:34   #14

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

Green Cove is a good on the hard location near Jacksonville.

The Harbourtown Marina and Canaveral Marina near Port Canaveral both have slips and hard storage. I'm now absent from my boat in the water at Harbourtown. I feel separated by locks, from the nearest inlet, it has fairly good storm protection. Due all the cruise ships, it's easy to get shuttles to and from the Orland airport. Further south, Indiantown, near Stuart has affordable longer-term hard storage. Not so good public transportation however.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 14:12   #15

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

GCS is the cheapest place to store a boat on the hard. It's best to catch a fair tide for going up the St. Johns River. If you're going to leave it in the water Brunswick Landing might be your best bet in the N Florida/Georgia area. Also there's a yard in St. Marys, GA that hauls boats, St. Marys Boat Services.

If you want in the water and cheap go to Palm Coast, just south of St. Augustine. There are lots of canal houses there that have empty docks. Usually about $150 a month. Can`t get anything cheaper in this area. You`ll need a diver after the boat sitting there for three months. There is one in the area.

Tags
florida