Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 08:39   #16

Boat: Boatless
Re: Leaving boat in Florida (ICW)

Just inside the Dinner Key Mooring field and just south of Dinner Key Marina is Coconut Grove Sailing Club which has visitor moorings. Boats up 42 ft. and 6-7 ft draft.

Coconut Grove Sailing Club

Much better protection from weather, a 24/7 launch service and 24/7 security.

The live web cam shows the closer boats in the CGSC field and the boats outside the islands in the Dinner Key field.

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/florida/...am=miamibeach3

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:50   #17

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Here's my mooring.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2701063842.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	68432
Old 10-10-2013, 09:27   #18

Boat: gemini 3200

If you're seriously considering Dinner key, go for the coconut grove sailing club. The sailing club is well protected and the other is very exposed to anything but west winds - talk about bounce!

We chose CG last year and were very happy.

CHeeRS!
fla.sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:32   #19

We left our boat for a month on a ball at Sunset Bay in Stuart on the St Lucie River. They'll pick up from your boat so you don't leave your dink, and there is service to keep an eye on the boats. Some exposure from the west IIRC but no big deal

Think it was $280 for the month (Nov. a year ago) if I recall. They are fairly laid back folks, may work a deal with you
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 09:53   #20

Lake Worth might be a free spot to anchor. Not sure how you would dingy ashore and deal with the dink though. West Palm to Lauderdale there are a lot of houses in the back canals that rent out dockage. I would ask some of the brokers for some they might know of and strike a deal with the homeowner. The brokers always seem to know a few.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:29   #21

Boat: Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Lake Worth might be a free spot to anchor. Not sure how you would dingy ashore and deal with the dink though. West Palm to Lauderdale there are a lot of houses in the back canals that rent out dockage. I would ask some of the brokers for some they might know of and strike a deal with the homeowner. The brokers always seem to know a few.
There is the Palm Beach Sail Club where you can park car and dinghy if you become a member (they have resident and non-resident memberships). There are several anchoring boats in and around the mooring field throughout the year. It is not a bad spot.

There is also the Riviera Beach marina nearby if you prefer a marina.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 21:15   #22

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktiGurl View Post
There is the Palm Beach Sail Club where you can park car and dinghy if you become a member (they have resident and non-resident memberships). There are several anchoring boats in and around the mooring field throughout the year. It is not a bad spot.

There is also the Riviera Beach marina nearby if you prefer a marina.
That's $75/month for non-residents, not too bad if you spend enough time there.

Shakti is there a good place to land the dink for public beach access near the field? Still thinking about it, beach time would tempt the family.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:30   #23

Boat: Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
That's $75/month for non-residents, not too bad if you spend enough time there. Shakti is there a good place to land the dink for public beach access near the field? Still thinking about it, beach time would tempt the family.
All of Peanut Island is a beach/park with snorkliing/small rocky area to entice fish, a camp ground and paths. The manatee hang out there in winter and it is blue water when the tide comes in. It can get pretty busy on a nice weekend and very quiet during the week. We like to go anchor up there and clean the boat bottom in the clear water and hang out, kayak, etc.
The club itself has a small sandy beach with chairs and a boat house. There are kids around a lot because they teach sailing classes. The club and premises are pretty basic - the club is an old house with an office, dining/sitting area ( with wifi), a bar to mingle a couple of evenings a week, bathrooms with a couple of shower stalls, a big porch where they host events and on land dinghy storage in the yard, which is extra. We actually paid to have a directional wifi antenna installed in the boat house so we could get wifi from the mooring field for members who live out there. It was a necessity for me to work. Right next door to the club is a small public access park and beach. It is ok. These are of course in the intercoastal and not Atlantic side.
North of Blue Heron bridge is a fairly large open area and the Munyon islands which have some beaches and are public access. I am sure there is public beach access at the inlet (Atlantic facing) as well but haven't really explored that. Atlantic side is mostly hotels and private residences.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:36   #24
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
Just inside the Dinner Key Mooring field and just south of Dinner Key Marina is Coconut Grove Sailing Club which has visitor moorings. Boats up 42 ft. and 6-7 ft draft.

Coconut Grove Sailing Club

Much better protection from weather, a 24/7 launch service and 24/7 security.

The live web cam shows the closer boats in the CGSC field and the boats outside the islands in the Dinner Key field.

EarthCam - Miami and the Beaches Cam
How long can a visitor stay there? We looked longingly at your mooring field as we prepared for Debbie as clearly you are more sheltered.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:56   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Check www.docksearch.com for some additional options.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:10   #26

Boat: Lagoon 37

I would also recommend Sunset Bay, well maintained and monitored. Also have car service to the West Palm Beach Airport
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:21   #27

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

In some of the towns like Fort Lauderdale that have canals, once can often find ads posted by home owners willing to rent sea wall space.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:16   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
In some of the towns like Fort Lauderdale that have canals, once can often find ads posted by home owners willing to rent sea wall space.
Yes, and when I was there everyone told me to cruise the canals in the dingy because many hae signs facing the water. I found my spot that way... even had a hot tub!

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:38   #29

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

If you want to leave it tied up a good spot is Palm Coast ( between St. Augustine and Daytona). You can usually get a dock on someones house for $150 a month. Lots of canals and empty docks. Fly out of Daytona.