Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2009, 08:48   #1

Boat: 1992-Corsair F27 ' Tri~Maniac '
Launch Site to the Bahamas

Hi All, .. . I am a Trailer-Sailor, planning a crossing to Bimini. Any information on a Launch Site / Marina South of Miami.. down to Key Largo, would be greatly appreciated. A decent place where I can leave my Truck & Trailer, preferably at a Marina where I can get a slip with electricity for a day or two while we prepare... .... ! Thanks in advance !

Regards, MJ
s/v Tri~Maniac
F-27 #326
mudrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 09:50   #2

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
MJ,

Homestead Bayfront Park is your best bet! More info at:
Park and Recreation

Good Luck, Bill A.
mobetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 12:42   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I don't know where you will find everything you seek. I do know the sail will be quick, and thrilling for you. If you haven't done the Bahamas you are in for a treat.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 13:19   #4

Boat: 1992-Corsair F27 ' Tri~Maniac '
Thanks for the info at Homestead... looks like just the spot !! This is our First trip across the Gulf Stream, .. should be a Blast !!
We are planning on arriving next week, and are wondering with the Flu Scare, if we can even check into the Bahamas ? Oh Well ! That won't stop us .. Thanks for the info. Best Regards, MJ
mudrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 13:38   #5

I am planning on a Keys/Bahamas trailer-sailing trip next year and have been researching the issue of where to launch. I ran across this marina that seems to cater to trailer sailors:
"South Dade Marina"

Again, I have no first-hand experience, but maybe it will help you. Please let us know where you launch from and how it goes! Thanks.

-Nick
nmwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 14:07   #6

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
It looks like some great suggestions above that are conveniently located. When I researched that a few years ago, I found most places in the Lauderdale-Miami area either didn't have the depth, ramp length or had prohibitively expensive vehicle and trailer parking fees.

In the end, I launched at the Indiantown municipal ramp. It is double wide and almost never used, so I felt no pressure when rigging. (I also had a trimaran which needed the amas out prior to launch,so many narrow ramps had obstructions.) I stored my vehicle and trailer affordably at the Indiantown Marina and stayed at their sea wall for the night. There are no tides or wave to deal with on the Okechobee waterway, but you are not as convenient to your Bahamas departure point. However, coming back was with the Stream and straight into the St. Lucie Inlet. I liked I didn't have to tow a 26-foot boat through SE Florida traffic. - Just something to keep in mind if the above optons don't pan out.

I also found deep ramps at Fort Lauderdale, one at the park at Riveria Beach, near the Fort Worth Inlet and Crandon Park on Virginia Key.

Be sure the ramp is long enough and deep enough for your trailer and boat! Many in SE Florida are designed with powerboats in mind and don't meet the needs of larger sailboats. I also don't know if you amas on your boat need to be out or not at launch, but keep that in mind if they do.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 16:05   #7

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
MJ,

More info and pictures about Homestead Bayfront Park at:

Google Image Result for http://images.marinas.com/med_res_id/58254

It really would be a nice place for you launch and get ready to go ...... Walmart Supercenter, Publics supermarket, etc. nearby. When you leave just go out thru Ceaser's Creek (shallow but with boards up you'll be fine) or Angelfish (here you get to see Pumpkin Key and a little of the Ocean Reef Club.

Again, Good Luck, Bill A.
mobetah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas