Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2019, 11:27   #46

Location: Homeport : Port Owen , Cape West Coast , South Africa . Currently cruising .
Boat: SHEARWATER 39.
Re: Landfall in the Caribbean

Last off topic comment.

Owning a boat like your beauty, l think the Antigua Classic Week is almost compulsory.
Old 23-11-2019, 11:58   #47

Boat: 1913 Gaff Cutter yacht 28'

True. We are registering right now.
Sauntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 12:07   #48

I did Mindelo - Barbados.

I recomend Barbados as a destination, cool vibes lots to see. Port St Charles checking is effortless. Drawback with Barbados is anchoring... Do Barbados directly becouse less chance going back, and it would be a shame to not do Barbados.
Pansatonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 12:29   #49

That was the advice I was getting from my crew on the first leg. And he is a big yacht skipper from Antigua. So, I guess it is yes.
Old 24-11-2019, 03:28   #50

I agree with the previous reply favoring Martinique / Le Marin. The French immigration/ customs procedures are quick, simple and I never saw them wanting to actually inspect the boat you are checking in, so no problem being out in the anchorage.

Martinique is more central to the rest of the Windward Is than Barbados, so you might find it a better starting point for exploring other islands.

If you’re adventurous (and judging by the fact Sauntress is sans moteur, you probably are), I can also recommend Vieux Fort at the southern end of St Lucia. It’s a lively fishing harbor with a spacious anchorage you’ll get into under sail and it’s a port of entry. The town has a bad rep for crime, and although it’s certainly not a tourist resort, I was there with my wife and we felt as safe as anywhere else in the islands. Everyone was very friendly. There’s a good produce market, a few bars and local restaurants ashore. Next stop, St Vincent!

AGE OF SAIL - Home
psp2psp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 04:32   #51

Thank you. Like the sound of Vieux Fort
Old 24-11-2019, 04:55   #52

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

I also agree about Martinique in general but I'm not sure that it makes sense to arrive 'in the middle' of the island chain, unless you are time pressed, or simply don't want to do so many miles until you need to be in Antigua.

You could say similar things about St Maarten or Trinidad - if the boat will need work and/or a haul out, then they make sense as the next stop, if not, other plans can be considered (consider this as a backup plan in case you arrive in Barbados with some damage to the boat)

Also none of this changes the Barbados plan really. If you would like to see Barbados then it makes sense to stop there on the way, otherwise probably you won't bother ever returning there.

Also I think it would be nice to work your way up the island chain from Tobago or Trinidad (after Barbados if you decide) as that way, after Classic Week in Antigua you already have a bit of an overview and a mental short list of which places you liked best or would like to see more of.

Because I'm guessing that with no fixed time schedule you will probably return South for Hurricane Season (Grenada or Trinidad) and some maintenance (although Antigua and St Maarten could also be options for your size of boat - insurance depending).

And thereafter return each season for further exploration.
And we haven't even mentioned the Islands west of Antigua yet. Plenty of exploring to do there too.

After 6 seasons 'down island', including a winter/summer/winter I think that we had a pretty good view of everything between Puerto Rico and Trinidad, but that could easily have been extended to 10 seasons without much of a problem and to enable some further immersion in places of interest.

There is a surprising amount to do and see, as well as a surprising amount of 'doing nothing' to keep you busy there.

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 05:38   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
I also agree about Martinique in general but I'm not sure that it makes sense to arrive 'in the middle' of the island chain, unless you are time pressed, or simply don't want to do so many miles until you need to be in Antigua.

You could say similar things about St Maarten or Trinidad - if the boat will need work and/or a haul out, then they make sense as the next stop, if not, other plans can be considered (consider this as a backup plan in case you arrive in Barbados with some damage to the boat)

Also none of this changes the Barbados plan really. If you would like to see Barbados then it makes sense to stop there on the way, otherwise probably you won't bother ever returning there.

Also I think it would be nice to work your way up the island chain from Tobago or Trinidad (after Barbados if you decide) as that way, after Classic Week in Antigua you already have a bit of an overview and a mental short list of which places you liked best or would like to see more of.

Because I'm guessing that with no fixed time schedule you will probably return South for Hurricane Season (Grenada or Trinidad) and some maintenance (although Antigua and St Maarten could also be options for your size of boat - insurance depending).

And thereafter return each season for further exploration.
And we haven't even mentioned the Islands west of Antigua yet. Plenty of exploring to do there too.

After 6 seasons 'down island', including a winter/summer/winter I think that we had a pretty good view of everything between Puerto Rico and Trinidad, but that could easily have been extended to 10 seasons without much of a problem and to enable some further immersion in places of interest.

There is a surprising amount to do and see, as well as a surprising amount of 'doing nothing' to keep you busy there.

That advice makes sense, especially the bit about haul out. The boat will be a bit travel stained by the time we make the Carribean, and will need to smarten up for the Antigua classics. And as you say, starting at the bottom and working our way up seems logical. I am lucky in having a crew who has knack of making friends with the locals, as here in Mindelo so Vieux Fort will be on the list, amongst others.
Old 24-11-2019, 10:20   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
A great recommendation. It is a lush, beautiful spot with friendly customs and locals. You will need to arrive with your own provisions as it is just a village. There are many small bays heading west from there, then give the reef a wide berth before turning south to Trinidad, which is a very good place for provisioning and exploring. Stay for Carnival, then work your way north to be in Antigua for Classic week. If you want more then head back south to Grenada or Trinidad for the storm season, or head on up the islands.

Have fun.

Greg
Having looked into Barbados further, it is not for us. So this, Man of War Bay is my preferred landfall. But I have a question. What is the holding like and in what depth? Here in Mindelo we have arranged a watchman, enabling us to have a spell ashore. Which works to his and our advantage. But in the Caribbean?
Old 24-11-2019, 10:49   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauntress View Post
Having looked into Barbados further, it is not for us. So this, Man of War Bay is my preferred landfall. But I have a question. What is the holding like and in what depth? Here in Mindelo we have arranged a watchman, enabling us to have a spell ashore. Which works to his and our advantage. But in the Caribbean?
holding there is good in sand of about 10m, wind is generally steady from ne -ene ,but can be gusty sometimes.

some boats use a kedge as well if there is a bit of swell curving round into the bay when winds are strong outside.

you should be able to find someone if you need a boat sitter,the locals are all expert offshore fishermen and land huge wahoo on the beach.

very friendly,and the rastas there smoke the biggest reefers on the waterfront i have ever seen!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 11:10   #56

Better and better. We are well supplied with anchors and as for the Rastas on the beach.....thankyou
Old 24-11-2019, 11:18   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Better and better. We are well supplied with anchors and as for the Rastas on the beach.....thankyou
not sue if you can watch youtube,but here is a good video from a cruisers forum member IMPI in 2014 of their time in man of war bay after crossing from south africa

Old 24-11-2019, 11:36   #58

Yes and I have watched it. Thanks. Now telling crew they are off to paradise.
Old 24-11-2019, 11:51   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yes and I have watched it. Thanks. Now telling crew they are off to paradise.
just incidentally here in penryn,where i live on one of my boats i'm surrounded by wooden luggers and pilot cutters.
probably know some of the same people if you have ever been to falmouth
Old 24-11-2019, 12:10   #60

Yes, I know exactly where you are. Suspect you may know a lad called Jasper, son of Tino, who inspired this whole project. We also fly the ensign of the Royal Cornwall Yacht club, a bit of a conceit.

Tags
Caribbean, grass, rib