Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2011, 09:52   #1

Boat: Beneteau 473
Lake Worth to Bahamas

A friend is currently in Lake Worth waiting to cross. He has a Manta 42 cat. He does not have good internet access and ask me to post to see if others were in the area and looking to cross soon, who may be looking for company. It will be his first time in the Bahamas. Also, any advice on weather windows for crossing. Thanks for any tips, suggestions etc.
Tayzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 17:03   #2

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues
Always nice to have a buddy boat for the crossing. We've sat at Lake Worth and waited for weather windows. Looks like light winds clocking from NW to N to NE. NW winds 10 to 15K might not be too bad tomorrow. Sunday is light winds but out of the north and could be uncomfortable up against the stream. After that, midweek winds get stronger from the south. That's preferable. Check PassageWeather - Sailing Weather - Marine Weather Forecasts for Sailors and Adventurers.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 17:47   #3

Boat: Privilege 37
Tell him not to sail when the wind has an N in it. Any winds out of the north causes the gulf stream to get very roudy. The north moving stream v. the south blowing wind = lots of chop.

Also, waiting at least a day after the wind out of the north has died will be much better.

I like to leave around 3:00 am or so. That puts you in Bimini about 10:00 am or so. The sun will be overhead and he'll be able to see the sand bars in the course way.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2011, 17:56   #4

Stry - Good points. We usually leave at 2 a.m. But is he headed to Bimini or West End? Would make a different as far as angle on the seas. Probably Bimini. Abacos too cold this time of year.

Old 29-01-2011, 05:15   #5

Boat: Beneteau 473
Thanks for the replies. I will let him know. If going to Bimini, are south winds still good?
Tayzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 05:20   #6

Yes, south winds are usually preferable for any crossing from Florida to Bahamas -- they are in the same direction as the Gulf Stream. Also provide a nice beam reach.

Old 29-01-2011, 05:38   #7

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
The angle from lake worth to Bimini is terrible, your going against the stream for most of the way and you have to make significant southward progress. If you expect to have a day or so with a NW wind, he should take advantage of it and go south to at least Key Biscayne and if you have two days you can go all the way to Angelfish Creek. If you go on the outside relatively close to shore on a NW wind the seas won't be bad, just stay inside the stream which sometimes means within a half mile of the shoreline at Palm Beach. From Lake Worth south in the ICW is bridge hell and it will take him two days to get to Key Biscayne. Besides a Manta will have to go outside at Ft Lauderdale because he won't be able to get through the dyslexic bridge in Miami in the ICW (built at 56 ft instead of 65). If he gets to Key Biscayne he won't have to make any southward progress against the stream, just counteract the nortward push. If he leaves from Angelfish Creek the stream will actually help him across. Besides the trip south gives one something to do while waiting for the winds to change.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 06:00   #8
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisjay View Post
Yes, south winds are usually preferable for any crossing from Florida to Bahamas -- they are in the same direction as the Gulf Stream. Also provide a nice beam reach.
You would not go to Bimini out of Lake Worth Inlet in a South wind unless you don’t mind beating the whole way-and going into a 1-2+ knot current you would leave from Miami- its only 42 miles- about double that from Lake worth-Bills got it right- But your friend sounds like hes going to West End-
From Lake Worth he would likely go to West End - I’ve done that trip over 100 times on charters-I could take the dingy over right now there is no wind at all_( I live in Lake Worth in the winter months) so it’s a great day for a crossing!58nm
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 06:06   #9

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
I HAVE sailed to Bimini out of the Lake Worth inlet, and would never do it that way again! We left at about sundown, hugged the east coast south, (REALLY close, inside the Gulf Stream), and when we got to just past the Fort Lauderdale inlet, turned east, to cross from there.

First, crossing the Lauderdale inlet at night is really scary! The ships were lined up one after the other, so we HAD to time it right, and pass in front of one. With the lights on shore as a background, determining the ships exact possition becomes more difficult. But, this was not the primary reason...

To go straight East from Lauderdale requires that you crab your boat, (pointing SE, but tracking E) severely, to counter the Gulf Stream. This can make your VMG toward your destination really slow, and double the time spent in the stream. If you went straight E from the lake Worth inlet, this effect would be much worse! Unless you have a big powerboat, DON"T DO IT!

All of my previous departures have been from Byscane Bay, and it is so much easier from there. Next time, if I wanted to head out of the lake Worth Inlet, (in order to avoid what is bar none the worst part of the ICW... Lake Worth to Miami), This is what I'd do...

Head out of Lake Worth Inlet early in the morning, and hug the coast south, very close to avoid the stream, as far as Byscane Bay. Leave Lake Worth before first light if necessary, to get in Byscane Channel in daylight. Then drop the hook and get some rest.

The next morning, or your chosen morning if the next one doesn't look good, head out of the Channel and point east. The boat will track N East, toward your destination, without the crabbing into the stream. This is actually faster AND a more gentle motion. Be sure to leave early enough, or motorsail, to assure a daylit landfall! Or do it at night...

I HAVE crossed in a stable NW or N wind, and as long as it wasn't over 15 knots, and clocking, we had no problem at all. If it is a clocking front, about to go to the NE, OR to increase in wind spead, I'd wait! Otherwise, a gentle North wind is fine! For some that I know, they prefer almost NO wind, and to motor across! Mororsailing across in 8 to 10 knots of steady N wind is a piece of cake.

I HAVE had my ass whipped before, by a 30+ knot N wind the Gulf Stream, (when I was young & foolish)... And all warnings about how bad it can get are to be heeded! Having said that, however, to say that ANY N component to the wind, even a very light & steady one from the NW, is an exageration of the risk... IMO.

Mark
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2011, 15:39   #10

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
If bound for Bimini either head south to Miami first or head across to West End in this light air to West End (I'm in the Abacos now) and then from West end head south to Bimini, possibly via Lucya.

With a 30 foot sailboat, I prefer leaving Lake Worth between 3am and 6am depending on time of year (light) and conditions. I usually anchor at WE since the slips there start at $100. (small boat, no power).

Some people like to keep going without clearing customs, but I prefer to clear there so I'm free to legally stop anywhere I like.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, lake worth