Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 10:05   #16

Boat: morgan 462-sageofsalem
earthquake trap

Dear ANNK,

I feel I might be in a similar predicament, some day, as those 1700's pirates were. Earthquakes are a regular feature of the volcanic regions around the shifting Maya Plate. The bar at Livingston, Gua. is already difficult for anyone who is not "shoal" draft, though 7 footers have skidded in on neap tides. It is entirely possible for the same thing to happen and trap the cruisers in the Rio Dulce.

Of course, these type of considerations deal with geologic time and can be easily ignored, until your time comes! When that time comes, I guess one could always try the old oil barrel off the masthead!

As far as cruising up the San Juan river bordering Costa Rica and Nicaragua that links the Caribbean to Lake Nicaragua, shoal water is not the only consideration.

The United Nations' highest court last month set travel rules for the San Juan River, affirming freedom for Costa Rican boats to navigate the waterway while upholding Nicaragua's right to regulate traffic. The judgment ended a four-year legal battle.

Under an 1858 treaty, the entire river belongs to Nicaragua up to the Costa Rican bank, but Costa Rican ships have freedom of navigation for commerce.
(Associated Press)

Nicaragua was supposed to begin a big dredging project to re-establish the river bed from a diversion by Costa Rica to their Colorado River.

Cruisers contemplating such an adventure as cruising a "blue water" boat up this river would do well to hire a river pilot or research the river with their own "Lancha" trip.
sageofsalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 20:39   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariengap View Post
Hello! This is my very first post on this site and one, I suspect, that will not get a lot of responses.

Have you ever sailed Lake Nicaragua? Do you know anybody who has? Do you know if charts exist for the lake?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Hi Dariengap, Just wondering if you found a chart/map of Lake Nicaragua? I am planning to bring a MacGregor 26 up the Rio San Juan into the lake at some point. Maybe you're there already.
DavidinNica is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Nicaragua