Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2009, 14:14   #1

Question Keys to SW FL - Best Route?

Hi -
Leaving next week and planning a trip down east coast of FL, spend about five weeks in the Keys, then up the South west coast of FL. - cross back to the east coast at the Okeechobee. My question is regarding the crossing from the keys to the south west of FL. It looks like the first area for a easily accessible marina in the SW of FL is at Marco Island, is this passage best made form Marathon or Key West, and what are the approximate distances ? We are in a trawler, a speedy cruiser at 7 knots ! Also - we will be at anchor for most of the trip, but we are interested in favorite marina suggestions for a couple of weeks in Marathon -
Thanks !
dogcabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 14:52   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Just out of curiosity, have you checked to see if there is enough water in Okeechobee to get across? The drought is pretty severe.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 15:15   #3

Last time we checked it was still open although the rim route was pretty skinny. If anyone has heard differently - please let me know !
Thanks -
Old 22-02-2009, 15:28   #4

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
According to Cruiser's Net, Okeechobee is OK.

Cruisers Net your best source for up to date information on the Waterway - ALL Okeechobee News

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 17:39   #5

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
I crossed Okeechobee in my 4' draft trawler, East to West on Jan 13 2009. I didn't have any problem I never saw less than 2 feet under the keel. I was told the rim route is blocked by trees in several places.
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 17:50   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
We like to leave Lower Matecumbe and proceed through Yacht Channel and up by Schooner Bank with an overnight anchorage up the beautiful and well-protected Little Shark River with our 4'3" draft. The crowded ports of Marathon and Key West have little value for us. We take an easy day clearing Cape Romano and into Factory Bay at Marco Island for our next stop and then to Fort Myers Beach. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 07:43   #7

Boat: fusion 40 catamaran RESTLESS
We soon plan a cruise in the opposite direction...Bradenton FL to Marathon. Would also like to know the distance nm. and any coastal anchorages or marinas to overnight.

Jim
jim noland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 07:11   #8

Thanks for all of the responses ! I should mention we also planning to go to the Tortugas - is it easier to head north east from there - or better to return to the Keys then head north ?
Convivially !
Susan
Old 15-06-2009, 10:56   #9

you don't need to go back to Key West, it would be way out of the way. It's a straight shot up to Marco Island from the Dry Tortugas. It should take you about 15 hours at 7 kts....no currents, generally east winds this time of year.

In Marco, the best marina would be Rose Marco River Marina...new docks, full service, ship store, a couple of tiki bars within walking distance.

Be sure to go up to Cabbage Key and the town of Boca Grande on Gasparilla Island...the area is worth staying at for a day or two.
kitefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 11:12   #10
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
the Moore Haven lock is reported to be closed from 8 June - 3 September for maintenance. that would mean you can't cross from Ft. Myers to Stuart.
gonesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 04:03   #11

Boat: Pearson 35 -Miss Annis
We made the return trip from the dry Tortigus to Napels in 22 hours under sail in my 35 foot Pearsaon easterly wind 15 to 22 knots Napels city dock is OK stayed there overnight good resturant good service.
roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 04:46   #12

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcabo View Post
Hi -
Leaving next week and planning a trip down east coast of FL, spend about five weeks in the Keys, then up the South west coast of FL. - cross back to the east coast at the Okeechobee. My question is regarding the crossing from the keys to the south west of FL. It looks like the first area for a easily accessible marina in the SW of FL is at Marco Island, is this passage best made form Marathon or Key West, and what are the approximate distances ? We are in a trawler, a speedy cruiser at 7 knots ! Also - we will be at anchor for most of the trip, but we are interested in favorite marina suggestions for a couple of weeks in Marathon -
Thanks !
There is a nice anchorage on the Gulf side of Cudjoe Key (Cudjoe Channel on the chart). We usually leave from there and go to Little Shark River or Indian Key near Everglades City. You can easily make the 63nm to Indian Key at 7kts. From Indian Key it is another 65NM to Sanibel Island in Pine Island Sound. With these two long legs, you can make Sanibel in 2 days, but if you stop at Little Shark, you are looking at 3 days with a stop at Marco. We have been "boycotting" Marco for the last several years because the town has been hostile to cruisers.

You can also make either of these route options from Marathon and distance would be slightly shorter. The Indian Key stop adds about 10 miles to the route since you have to go around Cape Romano, but Indian Key is a beautiful anchorage and worth the extra miles.