Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2016, 12:42   #1

Keys to Cayman

Hi Mates!

I am planning on a cruise down to Cayman for my new job - and am looking to purchase 27'-30' sloop in Florida to get me there in early October, weather permitting.

I have read many of the post about the best routes via Havana and then west and south and plan on this route. I am a new sailor with basic 101 and would appreciate any experienced sailors input.

Thanks!
SeaSiren50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 18:43   #2

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33
Re: Keys to Cayman

My advice is to buy a boat already there and then fly down and get on it. You're talking about locating a boat, surveying it, buying it, prepping it, provisioning it and then departing within a three week window? Ocean sailing on a boat you've never laid eyes on, let alone had time to sail on or learn the systems on. Can you do it? Sure. Is it risky? Quite. Oh, it's also the peak of hurricane season.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2016, 19:05   #3

Thanks, Lowcountry- that may be the best option. There just aren't a lot of choices once I get there but there are many in Florida. So, I could find one, - then fly back and sail it down- later. All good points and ones I have definitely been thinking about - less pressure too-
Old 26-09-2016, 03:56   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, SeaSiren.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 12:53   #5

Thanks, Gord May
Old 27-09-2016, 13:40   #6

Boat: Spindrift 43 SV Falkor

That's a long trip on a new boat, off shore and little facilities once you leave the keys. I would do it but I'm a little bit on the cowboy side and as long as the rig stays up and the keel on i can fix most anything else.
b-rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 14:14   #7

Hi B-Rad

I'm a little bit cavalier too! But that is why I seek the advise of those who know better! At least I was warned, right?
Old 27-09-2016, 16:50   #8

Depending on the boat and the time line I might even sign up for the ride.
Old 27-09-2016, 17:15   #9

Wonderful! I just may take you up on that - although it may be after hurricane season ��
Old 28-09-2016, 06:25   #10

Boat: Oyster 55

As you stated not a lot of sailboats to choose from in the CI if any at all.
Also have you thought about where you will keep the boat once there?
Marinas are not inexpensive however my suggestion is to check out the daily newspaper for someone advertising a private dock. Many canals with bulkheaded docks but again have to investigate.....would start sooner than later.
Hopefully someone on this forum can go with you, would not suggest going on your own with limited experience. May also want to hire a captain to bring the boat down for you. I would personally take the eastern route through the Bahamas/Windward Passage then stop in Port Antonio Jamaica and on to the Caymans.
The moorings in Georgetown are free but these are weather dependent.
The North Sound would be your best bet to keep the boat but would suggest getting a local to guide you through the reef and there are many uncharted low spots once you are inside.
I have kept my boat there in the past and know the island well so if I can be of any assistance let me know.
Good luck
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 09:03   #11

Hi Caradow- thank you so much - all really great information. The more information I get, the more it seems that I should go there first, scout it all out, then buy her and sail her back with all plans in place. possibly with an experienced sailor ⛵️

I will check out the eastern route too,. That could be a lot of fun !

That being said, life is an adventure and all plans are subject to change!
Old 28-09-2016, 10:34   #12

Boat: Leopard 43

Don't forget you will have to pay 12% duty on the cost of the boat when you arrive if you are keeping it in Cayman longer than 30 days.

As Cracow said the docks in the canals are pretty cheep, $50 -150 a month. Not supposed to live aboard though but if you keep it cool most people will not care. If your boat draws more than 5' you will have trouble getting into most of them though.

Cheers,

CJ
s/v Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 13:40   #13

Thanks, CJ
Old 29-09-2016, 06:02   #14

Boat: Oyster 55

Just another suggestion:
The Caymans are not the easiest place to get to from Florida, especially in a 27-30 foot boat. You will have the trades on the nose for over 250 miles after you round the western tip of Cuba. Doable but it will get old very quickly. Thats why I suggested the eastern route despite longer in miles it will afford you some great stopping off points.
However why not just buy the boat in the Virgin Islands or St Martin? That would allow you a down wind sail to the Caymans in typical Trade wind conditions.
Also relative to what was previously stated by s/v holiday is that you can request a delay in paying import duty on the boat from the government which is a very simple procedure. I was there over a year and never paid import duty. Again don't bring a boat from any direction there until after Hurricane season.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 06:04   #15

Also there's a sweet southern cross in the for sale section that is already in the carribean.