Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 06:59   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401
Keys...Lobster and Fish

We will be going to Key West in November for a 9 day trip. One of the things that we would like to do the most is diving for lobster, fishing and snorkeling.

We will be doing a day trip with the ferry to the tortugas and know about the snorkeling there.

Any recommendations for spots to go anchor for a few nights on the northern half of the keys that would have good spots.
Acadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:28   #2

Boat: Island Packet 35
Upper Keys

Acadia,
Were you planning on staying inside the bay of the upper keys or going outside - that makes a big difference on anchorages. In November, our winds frequently come out of the east and pick up in intensity so finding a place for a calm anchorage can be a challenge. I suggest staying bayside unless you have a draft that prevents you from doing that. Most snorkel and fishing will be about five miles off shore, however. Weather will be the biggest factor that time of year. Best wishes on your trip and stop by and say hello if you get up to Key Largo!

Ann
SV Alibi
(replaced Lil'Un)
Alibi35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 16:18   #3
Marine Service Provider

Thanks Ann,

Our boat draws 5 feet and lookin at the charts, I see there is no shortage of shallow water. I think we will be spending lots of time at the key west morrings. Any decent spots around there? Even if we have to do day trips out of there that's fine. I know they are very strict about achoring near reegs and such. Are there spots that have public moorings to tie off and go explor the reef?
Old 12-08-2009, 16:25   #4
Marine Service Provider

Ah a little googling and I found all sorts of answers.......

will these buoys accomodate a 40 foot sailboat? and is it hard to find one that is not occupied?
Old 12-08-2009, 16:34   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Acadia, Although you may not wish to travel on the bayside with your draft, you can spend time in Hawk's channel and ocean side while taking an anchorage through the 65' clearance bridges at Marathon and Long Key. We often choose Lower Matecumbe Bight just inside the bridge at Long Key. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 06:57   #6

Boat: Island Packet 35
pirate

Acadia,
I have very little knowledge of the waters of the lower keys - as you can see from the charts Key Largo is about 100 miles north of Key West. Once you get to the upper keys the places to access the ocean from bayside get farther apart so that is why I was asking which side. For me to take my boat to the ocean from Blackwater Sound - it is about one half to one day because I either have to go south to Snake Creek or north to Angelfish Creek. You can definitely bring a boat with a five foot draft up this far on the bayside just stay in the channels or like CaptForce said travel in Hawks Channel just offshore on the ocean side. We have some great diving, snorkeling, and fishing grounds up here.

Have a fun trip and hope you catch lots of lobster and fish!

Ann
Alibi35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish