Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2013, 12:43   #1

Key West to Cuba as U.S. Citizen

A friend, my dog and I want to sail to Cuba how can it be done as U.S. citizen s I live in key west. I know how to get there I need to know how I can stay and cruis

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130123_154249.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	53377

e.
squidsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 12:53   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: key west to Cuba as U.S. citizen

Squid,

Legally you really can't. Practically you leave from any where but the US with a bunch of cash, head to Cuba, cruise there, then leave headed to a non-us port. Once checked into the non-us port you loose all your paperwork about where you have been.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 12:56   #3
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

Cuba would be a hoot, but I'm a wimp and dont wanna be the next Alan Gross. Go to the bahamas.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 12:59   #4

Has any one got any experience.
squidsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 13:14   #5

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Use the search function here on CF. There have been many Cuba threads, with some real experiences by US sailors.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 13:29   #6

Found this on line, On wikitravel. Dig deeper though.

"There are no regular ferries or boats to Cuba from foreign ports, although some cruise liners do visit. Yachters are expected to anchor at the public marinas. Also, most ports are closed and tourists are not permitted to walk around them. Private vessels may enter at Marina Hemingway in Havana or Marina Acua in Varadero. Entry requires a U.S. passport, but there are no visa requirements. Your passport will not be stamped by Cuban authorities unless you request it. You will likely be intercepted upon your return to America and fined $5000, although this is just a formality. You will not be expected to actually pay this fine nor have there been any repercussions or attempts to collect. The only attempt to prosecute was the case of Peter Goldsmith v. United States. This case was dismissed with prejudice in late 2004 in the Miami District Court."
Saline Canine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 14:31   #7

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Takin a chance, but you could try just going somewhere else, then to Cuba, then somewhere else else, then back to the U.S. and just don't mention the Cuba stop. Of course, that would probably be breaking still more laws. I know it is done, though. Cuba is always in need of hard currency and welcomes Americans with their dollars. Just remember, you are breaking the law and might possibly have to pay the consequences. Feel lucky? Have fun! I want to go too, some day.
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 14:53   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

IIRC, Cuba has recently lifted travel restrictions on it's Citizens (now only a matter of money and another country letting them in!). Which now means that USA citizens have more gubberment travel restrictions than Cubans - funny old world!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 16:35   #9

Boat: Stevens 47
We spent a week at a resort in Cuba last year. We met some Americans who were there legally as part of a humanitarian mission, basically they delivered books or school supplies or something like that. Their travel agent had done all the paperwork, etc. So if you load up your boat with school supplies and fill out the right paperwork it may be possible to do it legally.
s/v Thea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 03:01   #10

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saline Canine View Post
You will likely be intercepted upon your return to America and fined $5000, although this is just a formality. You will not be expected to actually pay this fine nor have there been any repercussions or attempts to collect. The only attempt to prosecute was the case of Peter Goldsmith v. United States. This case was dismissed with prejudice in late 2004 in the Miami District Court."
I love how the militants love to challenge government authority with other people's money!

Visit to cuba $500 = legal fees to avoid jail after trip $25,000

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 05:15   #11

Boat: Gulfstar 50

I would say just wait when they put Castro in the ground which may be soon Cuba will begin the process of opening. When it's legal I'll be one of the first boats down there loading up on Cigars!
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 05:22   #12

Do a search. It's been discussed to death.

The one comment I would make is that if you end up being the one who gets caught, fined, jailed, your boat impounded, or whatever... NO FAIR WHINING ABOUT IT! You knew you were taking a chance going in.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 05:52   #13

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidsquire View Post
A friend, my dog and I want to sail to Cuba how can it be done as U.S. citizen s I live in key west. I know how to get there I need to know how I can stay and cruis

e.
You can visit Cuba from Key West.
Key West isn't in the U.S.

Key West is "The Conch Republic"!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3799910931.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	53408  
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 06:11   #14

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

I also want to visit Cuba, but can't do it legally so I am not going yet. I have meet americans that have done it, and they have told me that it is no big deal, and they didn't have any problems, but I doubt they are willing to advertise there experiences here on this forum.

I have also meet Canadians traveling through Key West, that were either going or comming back from Cuba. They have no problem at all, it is legal for them to go. I think the safest way to go would be to find a foreign flaged boat that was willing to let you on board and use you as crew. Then go with them. I do believe it is still illegal for you to do even this as a US citizen but I think the chances of problems are small as long as you don't have a problem while you are there. For example, I wouldn't get drunk and get into a bar fight.

If you go, let all of know how you made out.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 08:04   #15

Can't possibly see or understand for the life of me what in the world is so attractive about Cuba as a country or island that would make anyone want to go. Seriously! Especially when there are dozens of other places not that far off with the same or better without the hassles!
dgasmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cuba