Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-01-2013, 17:08   #31

Boat: Bristol 34
Re: key west to Cuba as U.S. citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
Say, can we bring our guns into Cuba?
Yes, actually you can.

From Noonsite: "If a yacht is staying a long time in one of the marinas, firearms will be impounded by the Coast Guard (Guarda Frontera). If the yacht is cruising along the coast, firearms must be declared every time the boat checks in at a new port and may be confiscated until departure or alternatively sealed on board, placed under the responsibility of the captain. The seals and arms will be inspected when clearing out".

Old 24-01-2013, 17:18   #32
Armchair Bucketeer

But at least the Healthcare will be cheap .

and a good way to hideout from the annual US Flu epidemic.........which kills thousands.

Flu epidemic shows signs of easing, US health officials say - DailyBulletin.com

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2013, 15:02   #33

Boat: Moccasins and pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgasmd View Post
Can't possibly see or understand for the life of me what in the world is so attractive about Cuba as a country or island that would make anyone want to go. Seriously! Especially when there are dozens of other places not that far off with the same or better without the hassles!
Well it is not for everyone (thank goodness) but it is a very special place - because of the people. Cholera broke out week before last when I was there, from a ball game I think. I feel fine.

Havana is one of the oldest cities settled by Europeans in the Americas, and there are many other compelling reasons to visit there. The reason people post about going to Cuba so often is that lots of people really want to go there. And I guess they don't know how to search the forum There are no end to the people that will remind them as much, in addition to getting very annoyed with them for wanting to go in the first place. Kind of a loop with different characters each post.

Vinales Valley in western Cuba, last week
Old 29-01-2013, 09:35   #34

Getting annoyed with them for wanting to go!?! I have NEVER seen anyone "get annoyed" at anyone else on this forum for wanting to go to Cuba.

Of course a lot of people point out the legal complications and risks. Some people also express the opinion that it is not worth the legal risks. Personally, I feel that way myself. But that is a very, very different thing than being annoyed at someone for wanting to go. I can't even imagine why anyone would get annoyed at someone else for wanting to ANYWHERE, let alone Cuba.
Old 29-01-2013, 10:24   #35

I to thought of going to Cuba. I am a bit of a law breaker so the legal aspects did not worry me much, many Americans have made the trip. Being told by the US government what country I can visit really pisses me off and made me want to go more. The thing that turned me off of making the trip were the many blogs of cruisers who did it and just left after a while because they just got sick of the never ending bureaucratic hassles. The folks that thought it was great were usally the 20-30 set which is rare in ther cruising coummunity and folks who had freinds on the island. The trypical cruisers comment goes something like this.. "Cuba could have been great but it wasnt" I think the DR could give you a great experience similar to cuba. It is on my goto list. Still though after several trips to Isla day 2 is always along the cuba coast, the mountains at first rising high then flat to the SW I long to turn to port and safe harbor
Old 29-01-2013, 10:27   #36
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"Can't see as..."
Forbidden fruit, what else need be said?

As to the OP's question of "How..." the answer is just take the boat and go.

Stop in Mexico on the way in and out, and just tell the US you were in Mexico, and you're likley to get away with it (unless the Cubans seize the dog) although of course, you're still breaking laws.

If you don't want the dog to be seized, or the boat, either there or when you get back, you might want to do what travelers have done for a couple of hundred years. Ask the US State Department, and the Cuban government, what each one wants.

There's this new thing called the internet, both governments maintain a presence on it and you can find their contact information directly.

The situation for the US changes from time to time, so it pays to make sure the information is current.
Old 29-01-2013, 13:21   #37

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

[QUOTE=cheoah;1140389]Well it is not for everyone (thank goodness) but it is a very special place - because of the people. Cholera broke out week before last when I was there, from a ball game I think. I feel fine.

Havana is one of the oldest cities settled by Europeans in the Americas, and there are many other compelling reasons to visit there. The reason people post about going to Cuba so often is that lots of people really want to go there. And I guess they don't know how to search the forum There are no end to the people that will remind them as much, in addition to getting very annoyed with them for wanting to go in the first place. Kind of a loop with different characters each post.

That is a phoenominal picture. It changed my life!
Did you personally take that photo?
It's awesome.
Old 30-01-2013, 15:15   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
That is a phoenominal picture. It changed my life!
Did you personally take that photo?
It's awesome.
I was there on a licensed trip the first two weeks of the year for work. The Mogotes (steep limestone formations) are in the farm country of Pinar Del Rio and they make for some nice scenery. Here's a campesino plowing with a team of oxen with the chickens and cattle egrets to cheer them on. I can still taste the fresh pineapple he handed me to slice up for us. Glad you enjoyed the other picture.

Old 31-01-2013, 03:15   #39
Armchair Bucketeer

Peasants always look good in holiday snaps.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 06:14   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Peasants always look good in holiday snaps.
Ain't that the truth! We look at it and we say, "Oh, it's so quaint. It's so idyllic." Actually think about what his life is like, though, and the picture's not quite so pretty.

I grew up in farm country myself. I had relatives who used oxen and horses to pull plows. I guarantee you that guy in the picture would MUCH rather be driving a tractor!
Old 31-01-2013, 06:30   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Ain't that the truth! We look at it and we say, "Oh, it's so quaint. It's so idyllic." Actually think about what his life is like, though, and the picture's not quite so pretty.

I grew up in farm country myself. I had relatives who used oxen and horses to pull plows. I guarantee you that guy in the picture would MUCH rather be driving a tractor!
Oh so true !!!
Old 31-01-2013, 11:29   #42

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Re: Key West to Cuba as U.S. Citizen

Don't the Amish in America plow using oxen or draft horses instead of tractors?
Old 31-01-2013, 11:46   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Went to Cuba from Key West in 2008/09 got there New Years Eve. all the officials wanted an extra holiday tip. Overall not a great cruising destination. a careful read of Calder will reveal there are few really nice areas.

Overall, a great place to go to learn to appreciate capitalism!
Old 31-01-2013, 12:42   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post

Oxen are used in Cuba because they are very practical. It represents a very sustainable agriculture for them, without all the inputs to keep a mechanized operation going, and appropriate to scale. I'm sure there are times he would rather be on the porch drinking a Buccanero, but they aren't nearly as soft and lazy as we are. They take great pride in their artform, and decades of revolution have rallied them to all step into their own yoke and pull for the common good. Plenty of problems, but lots accomplished too -particularly in agriculture, which is why I go there.

Your assumption that he would rather be sitting on a big steaming hunk of iron is misplaced, which I can safely say since I know him. Don't power boaters think the same thing as they pass us by, lumbering around trying to get somewhere with the wind? Who in their right mind would go to sea without new technology and creature comforts? Not everyone does what they do because it is easy. Amircal there would argue that the dude in the suit with all his worries has it worse than he does. His life is simple, by no means easy, but familiar and rewarding.

Astrid, yeah the Amish use almost exclusively horses over oxen. Every community is different, with some using steel wheeled tractors only, or diesel power plants for PTO pulled on a forecart by horses. In general though they embrace old technology as a way to preserve their beliefs and culture.

It is hard to look at someone elses lot without projecting your own experience on it. Everyone wants an easier life, sure, and some of those campesinos have it rough. Then again, they have way more fellowship and laughter in their lives, while we have, well, the internet.

Old 31-01-2013, 13:18   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Don't the Amish in America plow using oxen or draft horses instead of tractors?
As a deliberate, religious choice, yes, of course. And if the guy in the picture has made a deliberate choice that he would rather not live with a tractor, I can certainly respect that.

The overwhelming majority of the time, though, when you see pictures like this one, it's not a choice. It's out of necessity, due to the economic conditions under which they are forced to live. It may look quaint and idyllic to those of us living our lives with 21st century conveniences (and stresses), but to people who are forced by circumstances to live that way, it is a hard, grinding life that most would gladly leave behind if they could.

Tags
cuba

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: